Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Coolant Leak ontt Starter

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Coolant Leak ontt Starter

I was changing my oil today and noticed that my starter was a little wet. I thought it was oil dripping on it but when I got closer I noticed a little green tint to it and I new it was coolant. I have searched the board but desided to get everyone opinion on what they may think it is. I drove it around for a bit today, not very far, and got it home and looked and noticed nothing leaking yet but I put a piece of cardboard under the car and went out a little later an noticed one drop on there and another one about to drop off of the starter. A few months ago I had the intake gasket replaced and my car is not overheating at all. I checked the fluid level and it is fine. It seems to be a very small leak and I can't see anything wet towards that top of the engine. I noticed some are saying intake gasket and some are saying freeze plug. If it is a freeze plug, how hard are they to replace? I have looked at freeze plugs and am also wondering if when replacing them, does the dome part of them go into the engine having it indent into the engine or on the outside of the engine giving a little cup inside the engine. Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41
Bottom of cup goes in. Might also be head gasket. Or, if yu get a different freeze plug, the screw studded side of the plug goes out, used to adjust the plug for the hole. There may be three types of plugs-one is the cuplike disc. the second is a copper expansion plug, and the third is a rubber expansion plug. Hope I haven't confued you...
Old 08-08-2003, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
No, you have not confused me at all. I have had, on my other car, a bad head gasket and know what it is like to have one of those and it doesn't seem to be that at all. Funny thing is, I have driven it all over today and I have not lost a drop of fluid at all. I make sure to check after I get out and when I get back in and there is no coolant on the groung. Hopefully it stays that way but I am guessing that it won't. I will have to pull the starter off sometime to look up and see if I can see where it is leaking from. Thanks for the info on the freeze plugs.
Old 08-09-2003, 11:50 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird Formula
Engine: Internal Combustion
Transmission: Completed
Axle/Gears: ones that turn.
One way I've heard about finding out about a coolant leak is to put some UV sensitive dye into the system and letting it circulate, and subsequetly, leak out from wherever; then using a blacklight to check out the suspected area - in low light levels of course. The 'glowing' coolant will pinpoint the leak.
I'm not sure where you can get the dye from, but a rad shop should be able to help.

Pete