Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

has anyone ever used header wrap?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2002, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
has anyone ever used header wrap?

I just put Thermo-tec's header wrap on my headers, it is supposed to cool my headers by 70%. However, when I touch my spark plug wires, they almost burn me, it seems as if they are hotter now. has anyone ever used this? could it be because the wrap is still burning a little from being just put on? thanks
Old 09-15-2002, 08:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
iv'e been told that that stuff is no good although it may cool your headers some it will absorb moisture which will lead to your headers rusting out. now this is what i was told so dont quote me on that
Old 09-16-2002, 03:24 AM

Re: has anyone ever used header wrap?

Originally posted by regchamp
I just put Thermo-tec's header wrap on my headers, it is supposed to cool my headers by 70%. However, when I touch my spark plug wires, they almost burn me, it seems as if they are hotter now. has anyone ever used this? could it be because the wrap is still burning a little from being just put on? thanks
I heard about the same problem with trapped moisture. You say it is supposed to keep the headers cooler. I never heard this before. What is the wrap made of? I thought it was high temp insulation. If they are insulation, the outer temp of the wrap can be cooler than the bare pipes, but the temps under the wrap are going to be higher because heat can't escape as easily.

I made my own exhaust covering with fiberglass cloth. I cut it to a size that would fit over the manifold easily to cover the rust on the stock exhaust. I made it several layers thick and put aluminum foil between the layers of cloth to prevent hot air from being able to come straight up. I sealed the edges with a high temp "glue" made for mufflers. I painted them with high temp silver paint. Now they hide my rusty exhaust manifold well. They were easy to slip over the manifold next to the engine. You can just see it in this pic of my engine bay, just below the valve cover ....
Attached Thumbnails has anyone ever used header wrap?-engine3s.jpg  
Old 09-16-2002, 11:20 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Z-28
Engine: Can you say stroke?!?!
Transmission: 700-r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
If you want lots of info on this topic, click on SEARCH. This topic ahs been beat to death!

Anyways, don't put on header wraps, the disadvantages out weigh the advantages bigtime. If you something that will do the same and look alot better, get your headers coated.
Old 09-16-2002, 03:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 Corvette
Engine: 350 Tpi
Transmission: ZF 6 speed
Axle/Gears: Dana 44 3,33
I use Thermo-tech wrap and i dont have any problem. I think you skould use wrap or coating or else everything in the engine compartment will melt