Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

economy ac settings (vent, heat) NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2002, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
economy ac settings (vent, heat) NEED HELP

ok check this out....my a/c has been bad since i bought my car..(bad compressor says my mechanic)...i chose not to get it fixed becuase im an open windows kinda guy...plus, i was able to use the economy controls ( heater, defrost, and vent)...however lately i have noticed my vent just doesnt blow....THEN today i had it switched on, hit a bump in the road and it sarted blowing....same thing later, but both times it didnt last (upon restarting the car) so i figured thers hope????any ideas???it rains a lot here in the summer so no open windows
Old 06-28-2002, 06:43 PM
Supreme Member

Very similar to my problem. I think either my actaul control unit is ****ed up, or maybe a bad wire to blower.
Old 06-28-2002, 11:03 PM
TGO Supporter

It is possible that the fan relay is going bad. Does it work in the High position, the low positions or not at all?
Old 06-28-2002, 11:51 PM
Supreme Member

it either completely works, or not at all, for me. Sometimes it'll work, mostly it dont...
Old 06-30-2002, 07:52 PM

i dont know about low and high....i dont realy use them because i have a bad compressor hence no refridgerant. tell me about the relay. how could i check it? then again, i dont see how the relay would need to be reset since it started up when i hit a bumb the other day......so maybe i should look into the wiring connections????need help bad! im really sweatin out these july rainstormss!!!
Old 07-05-2002, 11:36 PM

Car: 1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS; 1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera Brougham
Engine: LH0 3.1 Liter V6; YBN 2.8 Liter V6
Transmission: TH-700-R4; TH-440
I fixed my friends 85 Firebird 2.8 because it had the same problem. We were cruisin up the road one cold January day, and he says "The heater works but I have to get moving for heat to move out of the ducts". I looked at his fan control and it was on hi, but i heard no sound. I said to him "It sounds like your fan is dead". So we proceded to try to rip out his fan and see what was going on. We break out the haynes manual and it tells us to pop the hood and go all the way back to where the fan is. He sits in the car while I trace the wires coming out of the fan and I saw a black wire not connected to the fan. I said turn on the fan, he turned it on, I plugged in the wire, and there was a spark at the wire and the fan turned on. Turns out he hit a bump and it knocked out the wire. We were nice and toasty that day. Seems to me that more than likely its one of these wires. Look near the passenger side hood hinge to find the circular black object (fan) and check all the wires coming out of it. My car is a 92 3.1 and it has the new plastic plug in it so that it doesn't happen. If yours is maybe pre 87 i guess it should have the old style which could have fallen out on you. But if it works and then stops all of a sudden I'd say its 99 percent the work of a loose wire of some sort. Get a little messy one day and fish around near the fan and see what wires you can come up with that are loose. Sorry for the extremely long post but thats probably the problem, Good luck!
Old 07-06-2002, 03:41 PM

well, pimprod, that sounds like my problem, except ihave a 91 and i have the wiring harnesses too...i looked at them and they al look intact. the vacuum tubes behind the interior controls seem okay too...but just a note: i have always heard a hiss like the air is leaking frmthem right when i turn the vent on or off. but like i said ..looks okay to me. maybe ill just start taking stuff apart sometime if i get a chance.
Old 07-08-2002, 11:18 PM

Car: 1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS; 1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera Brougham
Engine: LH0 3.1 Liter V6; YBN 2.8 Liter V6
Transmission: TH-700-R4; TH-440
Yea thats normal in all cars, the hiss. Unless you are talking about something thats ouTTa CoNtRoL.