Convertibles Discussed here are problems and solutions to convertible specific questions, including difficult to find part numbers and other convertible tech help.

Trunk Latch wireing

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 03:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 91 RS convertible
Engine: 330 hp vortec 350. TBI
Transmission: 5 Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Moiser 12 bolt/Wilwood disc's
Trunk Latch wireing

Any one help me. I bought an 91 Vert and the taunna won't release with the switch. Thanks to the help of this sight I was told the trunk pull down motor must be down. With that said I took apart the back cover and found I do have the motor but the wires arn't hooked up. There are 3 different wireing plugs and I can't make heads or tails of them. It appears there is supposed to be a relay back there and there isn't. If someone could tell me what is supposed to be there and if possible send me a picture I would be in your debt. An eplanation of the parts and what they are called would be nice too. The junk yards arround here don't have any convertibles in them so I don't have a refrence. I also don't have a clue where to get the parts. There has to be a reason this is all taken apart so I am sure I am going to need some.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:06 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27
Re: Trunk Latch wireing

Red with white wire is +12. It connects to the blue wire of the hatch pull-down wiring loom. The black wire in the wiring loom with a ring terminal is ground and connects to the body ground location below the hatch pull-down unit. For convertibles there is a limit swich that senses that the trunk motor is closed so you can safely open the tonneau cover. It is attached to a black angle bracket that is attached to two of the three screws that mount the clear plastic motor housing to the frame. Yes there is a relay that plugs into the socket in the wiring loom. If the wires are messed up just replace the striker-sensing switch. The switch includes ALL the wiring for the pull-down unit. If you need any of these parts or have further questions, call me. Normally you could order any parts you need for these hatch/trunk pull-down units on my web site, but my site is temporarily down while we update the software.

Lon Salgren
626-369-0040
Old 04-04-2012, 12:22 AM

Thanks for the advice Lon. When are you getting your web sight up? I'm thinking I'm not going to goof arround. There is a reason this latch is all f ed up. I just need to buy the whole set up. I need the relay. There isn't any in the junk yards arround here so I don't even know what it is supposed to look like. If you sell the whole thing let me know and how much it is. If I'm just throwing money away let me know and what to look for and how to fix it. That is the last thing on my list then the car is all working. I want the third brake lite to work. I want the trunk lite to work I want the latch to work rite too. But most of all I want the switch on the consol to pop the taunno cover.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:07 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

My web site went live a few miutes ago. Sorry it taking so long. We hit a few snags.

All the items you need to repair these hatch pull down units are on my site.

Lon
Old 04-04-2012, 08:50 PM

OK Lon. I took it appart and there are 4 seperate plugs that arn't hooked up. The relay is there and is plugged in. The pull down unit is screwed together so I guess the last owner had problems. I guess I don't really care about the pull down I just want the switch to release the taunno. What wires do I jumper to do this? The trunk closes tight and doesn't leak so what more could I ask for. If this needs to work for the release to work I first need to know what is wronge with it. I do know the limit switch is missing. I don't really want to just buy the whole thing if I can fix what is wronge cheeper. Well pictures are way above me. OK heres the colors and plug. there are 2 plugs that are the same. I beleave one is for the trunk lite. One has 3 wires. 2on one side and they are red w/ wht stripe the other is black. The other has only 2 wires and one the red one comes from somewhere under the spare tire carrior and is 12 gauge red and the other is blk and a ground. The one that baffles me is a small gauge wire going to a flat plug and the wires are brwn/orange/wht/blue. Finally there is a 12 gauge red wire that comes from the front. And yes Lon I got on your site last nite and it looks like everything I need is there. I will place an order as soon as I figure out what I need.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:08 PM

Well I have just given up on my trunk working. I jumped the 2 wire plug and now my taunno will pop. I hooked up the light and put a switch on it so that workes too. I gave up cause there were 2 plugs that had no where to plug them in. There were things missing. I was going to buy the whole assembly but I couldn't be gaurnteed that is all it needed. I didn't have a power wire to the motor either. Someone ran one from the fuse box and it had a relay and I couldn't figure it out. So Lon thanks for the advice. I did ask several questions from your store front and never got an answer you might want to look into that.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:18 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

The only wire that some people won't need to plug in is the white wire with a small black connctor on the end. It plugs into a black with orange stripe wire to turn on/off the rear hatch light for 90-early 91 models. What I can't do for you is correct the entire wiring if someone has completely Jerry-Rigged it. All the wiring for the hatch pull-down unit is included with the striker-sensing switch. A red with white stripe wire plugs into the blue wire and connect the ground wire. If you need more help than that it is in the 1991 Camaro Service Manual or 1991 Firebird Service Manual availble online from Helminc.com or eBay.

Also, for thef uture, it would help if you update your profille to tell us if you own a Camaro or Firebird and what year, since the wiring is different depending on the model. You did tell us I was a 91 'vert. It's just tough to guess which.

What I can't and won't do is help someone turn their hatch pull-down unit into a slam-latch. I refuse to make the kit that consists of chewing gum, baling wire, wood screws, duct tape, a block of wood, etc. I also can't reproduce the wiring schematics from a Service Manual. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I'm busy making the parts to repair these cars to funcion as new or better.

Lon
Old 04-10-2012, 10:20 AM

Sorry it's a 91 Camaro RS. Well I have all the wireing figured out. The taunno switch is causing a clicking sound at the latches but nothing is happening. What is supposed to happen? I will take the covers off this weekend and let you know what it looks like. Maybe they just need adjusting. I just don't have a clue. I much rather would like to have a trunk release is there a way to do that?
Old 04-11-2012, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gregl316
OK Lon. I took it appart and there are 4 seperate plugs that arn't hooked up. The relay is there and is plugged in. The pull down unit is screwed together so I guess the last owner had problems. I guess I don't really care about the pull down I just want the switch to release the taunno. What wires do I jumper to do this? The trunk closes tight and doesn't leak so what more could I ask for. If this needs to work for the release to work I first need to know what is wronge with it. I do know the limit switch is missing. I don't really want to just buy the whole thing if I can fix what is wronge cheeper. Well pictures are way above me. OK heres the colors and plug. there are 2 plugs that are the same. I beleave one is for the trunk lite. One has 3 wires. 2on one side and they are red w/ wht stripe the other is black. The other has only 2 wires and one the red one comes from somewhere under the spare tire carrior and is 12 gauge red and the other is blk and a ground. The one that baffles me is a small gauge wire going to a flat plug and the wires are brwn/orange/wht/blue. Finally there is a 12 gauge red wire that comes from the front. And yes Lon I got on your site last nite and it looks like everything I need is there. I will place an order as soon as I figure out what I need.

Sounds just like my car! I decided to open it up yesterday to start to figure out what is wrong and found everything disconnected. I plugged everything in and still nothing. Then I saw that some monkey screwed the whole thing together so it would no longer move. I gave up for the day.

This morning battery was dead. I opened the trunk and felt warmth... the motor was HOT! Ok dummy, I disconnected the motor again, jumped the car, and I'm back to square 1.

Off to Lons website!
Old 04-11-2012, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by gregl316
Well I have just given up on my trunk working. I jumped the 2 wire plug and now my taunno will pop. I hooked up the light and put a switch on it so that workes too. I gave up cause there were 2 plugs that had no where to plug them in. There were things missing. I was going to buy the whole assembly but I couldn't be gaurnteed that is all it needed. I didn't have a power wire to the motor either. Someone ran one from the fuse box and it had a relay and I couldn't figure it out. So Lon thanks for the advice. I did ask several questions from your store front and never got an answer you might want to look into that.
I have the same 2 plugs with no where to go... I think they were for trunk lights that are missing on mine.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:08 PM

i have been reading and have come to find out that you are the trunk latch expert my problem is that when i close my trunk it locks but wont pull all they way down do you have any ideas on what could possible be going on thanks
Old 08-29-2012, 05:09 PM

lonsal
Old 08-29-2012, 05:22 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

You'll need to be more specific as to what it is doing. Do you hear the motor turn on when the hatch hook is latched?

Lon
Old 08-30-2012, 12:11 AM

Its crazy because it works when it wants to work like 5 mins before that it wouldnt even lock it would just stay open and then i got in the car yesterday and wehn i turned the car on the motor kicked in and sealed the trunk. then i had to open the trunk to get something out and it locked but wouldnt pull all the way down so its locked but not secured all the way down it shakes everytime i hit a bump because its locked but not secured. thanks
Old 08-30-2012, 05:41 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

https://www.thirdgen.org/tech/hatchpulldown.pdf

From the sounds of it your striker-sensing switch is going bad. The switch is attached with a single small hex-head screw just in front of the latch. The contacts inside the switch may be worn or corroded. Also check the link to the Tech Article on repairing the 86-87 & 88-91 hatch pull-down units.

Once you remove the hatch surround trim panel you'll probably find that the clear plastic part called the motor housing is broken where the 3 screws attach it to the frame. I have all the parts you'll need to repair your hatch pull-down unit.

Lon
Old 09-29-2012, 05:29 PM

I just purchased a 91 T/A Conv. Do these have a trunk release? I know the hatch models do. I can't find a switch inside the cabin for the life of me, and want to make sure I'm not going nuts looking for something that doesn't exist.

Thanks!!
Old 09-29-2012, 06:13 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Posi 9 bolt PBR

Verts do not have a trunk release switch
Old 09-30-2012, 01:03 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by my82roc
Unless you add one (didit).

Lon
Old 10-01-2012, 07:55 AM

Car: 2012 camaro vert
Engine: v6
Transmission: manual
Axle/Gears: stock

Originally Posted by my82roc
as far as i know no release and no pull down on verts...!!
thet where disabled when modified{cut into to make vert}
some "extra plugs" not used......
release for trunk relocated and wired for top cover....
switch on top cover edge now ...must release top first then elec. pop top cover
trunk and top cover DO NOT OPEN AT SAME TIME......!!!!!!!!
trunk latch disconected key only now
top cover has manuel release if needed...
flip back seat down on each side is a smal cable release to open if power out{dead batt}
hope this helps.....

Last edited by cc+ca; 10-01-2012 at 08:02 AM. Reason: add info
Old 10-10-2012, 08:35 PM

Car: 1997 K1500 SS/SB
Engine: LT1 with TPI on top
Transmission: 4L60E/np241,
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Originally Posted by lonsal
Unless you add one (didit).

Lon