Convertibles Discussed here are problems and solutions to convertible specific questions, including difficult to find part numbers and other convertible tech help.

PMD Records and RIP

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 12:21 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Formy droptop/88 Deville
Engine: L98 350 TPI
Transmission: factory RWD, WS6 susp
PMD Records and RIP

One of the things I was pointing out at another forum about the recent closure of Pontiac at GM, is that they were the only GM division to offer Historical Services. Not long ago, I read in Pontiac High Performance, or similar, that though GM axed this primo service earlier, that it was taken up by fans and friends of Firebird. I can't recall details any longer, but wish an update on details for those looking to use the service.

My convertible is a dealer ordered ASC droptop 350 Tuned Port L98, as far as all I know about it, that mine happens to be a Theft Recovery as well, and was re-badged in Pennsylvania with a VIN below the hood.

From discussions over the years, hear and elsewhere it's assumed there were less then 100 of these cars, but I always had hoped to use the service to get better docs on my car.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:19 PM

Location: Doghouse ······································ Car: 1989 Formula 350 Vert Engine: 350 L98 Transmission: 700R4 Axle/Gears: B&W 3.27
Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts
Car: 87 Formula T-Top, 87 Formula HT
Engine: 5.1L TPI, 5.0L TPI
Transmission: 700R4, M5
Axle/Gears: Sag 3.73, B&W 3.45
Re: PMD Records and RIP

Bill,
what would you like.

For what it is worth, PHS-online still exists, they are a completely separate entity from GM. From my understanding, Long ago Jim Mattison got the Pontiac info from GM as they were discarding it. phs-online.com

Here is your dilemma, 1) as of a few years ago ( in 2007 ) GM took over anything from PHS from 1987 to newer. You can still get the Dealers invoice thru GM Heritage Center http://www.gmmediaarchive.com/ Which, more or less is the same thing (of importance) that you would get from PHS-online. 2) Since Pontiac does not Recognize the cars as being production cars, no matter who you talk to, PHS, or the Hertiage Center, they will not give you the information I am able to supply.

ASC reported 330 1989 Firebirds converted There is a total of 324 cars on the list, and I know of one other (not on the list). As for the other unknown cars, 10 were exported and 5 others have no information on them. So there is a total of 20 that I do not know about... Yet.

There is another 4 known IROC 350 convertibles made in 1987, and 142 GTA 350 Convertibles made in 1989. There was Zero 1987 & 1988 Firebird Convertibles made in 1987 & 1988 with the 350 option, This is an easy deduction as the cars were NA with T-tops and a 350 in the US, since the cars had to be drop shipped to ASC (which is in the US) they would have more than likely required to have the Federal (US) specifications to be drop shipped to a dealership in the US. You could have bought a Canadian 350/T-top GTA or Trans Am in 1987 (and maybe 1988) in Canada but not in the US. Also Since Compnine.com has the Firebird (not Trans AM) VIN's for all Base Firebirds and Formulas shipped to Canada, they report Zero 350, CC1 cars shipped to Canada. They do not have the Trans Am information unfortunately.

With that said, Since I have the Original Dealer Logs from ASC, Your car is No. 30 of the Known 42 Formula 350 Convertibles.

PM me if your interested and I will freely email you the info I have collected...

John
Old 11-18-2010, 01:05 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 Formy droptop/88 Deville
Engine: L98 350 TPI
Transmission: factory RWD, WS6 susp

I am not aware of just what they offer, from any recent research, I'd been happy to know it was available, that being Historical Services, and that even Chevy Camaro owners had no such service, but I assumed it got you original material replications of when the car was sold new, like a Windows sticker. Mine always lacked accessory and option numbers, like a tag might be found in the trunk location (lid on other GM cars, or a door sill plaque)

I'd think they ARE production cars, as from what I recall, they'd only be pulled from the normal assembly line at which time the modifications are done. The top I bought to replace mine was from TOPSONLINE, and it turned out to appear too small, was this something to do with the specific differences in 1989? I paid $300 and the top was taken from it's storage space (stolen!) I am now without a new top for my car. Currently replacing a rusted exhaust on it. I would like to know as much about the process of a Dealer ordered convertible as I can. What real negatives seem to be associated with these cars. Whether it's just Purists grumbling as usual, or something more. I do a lot of defending of these ASC cars on YouTube and I'm sure anyone reading the comments might do. I'd though the final figure was something like 60 cars, one I did see listed from 1989 was white with tan leather, very nice interior unlike the normal factory cloth buckets. I am asking 2000 to sell, is this reasonable? I have bumper replacement still and extra FORM 350 door stickers that I collected some time ago for restoration repairs.

This one listing for sale is $14,000 plus. I paid under $9000 for mine with 44,000 miles or so, and it was already a theft recovery at that point. You guys have been my GO TO GUYS and thanks for all your hard work and steadfast 3rd gen Luv!

http://www.redlineautogroup.net/prod19.htm

Last edited by Bill Speed; 11-18-2010 at 01:32 AM. Reason: pic to another linked
Old 01-12-2011, 08:58 PM

Car: 91 Firebird Convertible
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: Automatic

Originally Posted by okfoz
Bill,
what would you like.

For what it is worth, PHS-online still exists, they are a completely separate entity from GM. From my understanding, Long ago Jim Mattison got the Pontiac info from GM as they were discarding it. phs-online.com

Here is your dilemma, 1) as of a few years ago ( in 2007 ) GM took over anything from PHS from 1987 to newer. You can still get the Dealers invoice thru GM Heritage Center http://www.gmmediaarchive.com/ Which, more or less is the same thing (of importance) that you would get from PHS-online. 2) Since Pontiac does not Recognize the cars as being production cars, no matter who you talk to, PHS, or the Hertiage Center, they will not give you the information I am able to supply.

ASC reported 330 1989 Firebirds converted There is a total of 324 cars on the list, and I know of one other (not on the list). As for the other unknown cars, 10 were exported and 5 others have no information on them. So there is a total of 20 that I do not know about... Yet.

There is another 4 known IROC 350 convertibles made in 1987, and 142 GTA 350 Convertibles made in 1989. There was Zero 1987 & 1988 Firebird Convertibles made in 1987 & 1988 with the 350 option, This is an easy deduction as the cars were NA with T-tops and a 350 in the US, since the cars had to be drop shipped to ASC (which is in the US) they would have more than likely required to have the Federal (US) specifications to be drop shipped to a dealership in the US. You could have bought a Canadian 350/T-top GTA or Trans Am in 1987 (and maybe 1988) in Canada but not in the US. Also Since Compnine.com has the Firebird (not Trans AM) VIN's for all Base Firebirds and Formulas shipped to Canada, they report Zero 350, CC1 cars shipped to Canada. They do not have the Trans Am information unfortunately.

With that said, Since I have the Original Dealer Logs from ASC, Your car is No. 30 of the Known 42 Formula 350 Convertibles.

PM me if your interested and I will freely email you the info I have collected...

John
Am I better to inquire with you about orginal dealer and other data on my 91 base Firebird.Manufature date 03/91 VIN 1G2FS33E9ML242386 15 inch rims Gold/silve not TA 16's This I know: 305TBI, Auto, Med Metalic green, Top has emposed KAL GLAS DOT 138 AS-6-M-176
D2335.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.I don't have past history of car.