Convertibles Discussed here are problems and solutions to convertible specific questions, including difficult to find part numbers and other convertible tech help.

Manual release of Tonneau cover

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual release of Tonneau cover

Anyone know how to release Tonneau cover to get my top up. Fuses are good, switch makes noise, no "Click" from selinoid. Good thing it happened in the garage.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 83 Trans Am / 96 Jeep XJ
Engine: 355 / 4.0 I6
Transmission: TH350 / Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.23 10-bolt / 4wd
Re: Manual release of Tonneau cover

My switch never worked. Fold the rear seat down, and look just behind the panels that have the speakers in them, there will be a metal cable on each side, pull each cable to manually release the tonneau.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:36 PM

GOT IT!
Thanks
Old 06-07-2010, 11:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 83 Trans Am / 96 Jeep XJ
Engine: 355 / 4.0 I6
Transmission: TH350 / Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.23 10-bolt / 4wd

Originally Posted by dblf
GOT IT!
Thanks
Not a problem.

This is the only way mine will open, lol.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:54 PM

Car: 1989 IROC-Z convertible
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: Borg Warner T5
Axle/Gears: Yet to be determined

On my '89 the releases are more like heavy duty fishing line, not metal. The have a finger loop to pull for the release.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:32 AM
TGO Supporter

Car: 1988 IROC Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Auto

These cars won't let you open the tonneau cover while the trunk is open (bad things will happen!) Therefore, they come equiped with a safety switch at the trunk lock mechanism. It looks like a white plunger style switch. If this is missing, misaligned, otherwise malfunctioning, your tonneau release swith will not activate the solenoids to release it. There is also a parking safety switch that, if I remember correctly, will also prevent the release of the cover. Try to check the trunk one first. Even if these don't work, you can do this manually. Look carefully behind the back seat right where the rear seat panels end. They might be hidden by the carpet, but you will see a thin, plastic covered loop wire, one on each side of the car. Pull the wire to release the solenoid. You may have to push down on the cover slightly while pulling on the wire. Once this releases, walk around to the other side of the car and repeat. That should do it. Good luck!

That being said, please use the search. This issue has been covered many times before.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 Iroc-z Convertible

could just be the release solenoids are bad I have a set for sale if needed plus lots of other vert parts.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by galletti
These cars won't let you open the tonneau cover while the trunk is open (bad things will happen!) Therefore, they come equiped with a safety switch at the trunk lock mechanism. It looks like a white plunger style switch. If this is missing, misaligned, otherwise malfunctioning, your tonneau release swith will not activate the solenoids to release it. There is also a parking safety switch that, if I remember correctly, will also prevent the release of the cover. Try to check the trunk one first. Even if these don't work, you can do this manually. Look carefully behind the back seat right where the rear seat panels end. They might be hidden by the carpet, but you will see a thin, plastic covered loop wire, one on each side of the car. Pull the wire to release the solenoid. You may have to push down on the cover slightly while pulling on the wire. Once this releases, walk around to the other side of the car and repeat. That should do it. Good luck!

That being said, please use the search. This issue has been covered many times before.
help!! i have read and tried all the possible fixes here and elsewhere. i don't have a white plunger for the trunk lock out (just 4 metal contacts beside latch that are clean). i have located the solenoids and there aren't any metal release loops. the control cables are black coated and have an inner steel cable (like a bike brake etc). on one solenoid, i can push it with my fingers to release the j-lock, the other is enclosed with plastic and have no access. both solenoids stopped at the same time and i have verified the switch continuity. any idea of which fuse to check or anything else? i have also tried this with the shifter in neutral (auto trans). i was thinking that in a worst case situation, i may run 12v from another source to the switch. right now i am screwed! any help would be appreciated!
Old 08-28-2011, 07:33 PM

Engine: 355 Super Charged
Transmission: B&M Streetfighter
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 342

Originally Posted by jstoltz
could just be the release solenoids are bad I have a set for sale if needed plus lots of other vert parts.
would you have the plastic trim piece in the trunck with th lock box
Old 09-01-2011, 01:47 PM

Car: Red 1985 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 HO L69
Transmission: 5-speed
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Couple questions:

1) would these release hooks and selaniods be the same setup on ASC GTA??

2) would anyone happen to post a picture of the plunger piece in the trunk??

I Had the trunk worked on now my power release button will not work..

thanks!
Old 09-01-2011, 11:05 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27

Originally Posted by topless1
help!! i have read and tried all the possible fixes here and elsewhere. i don't have a white plunger for the trunk lock out (just 4 metal contacts beside latch that are clean). i have located the solenoids and there aren't any metal release loops. the control cables are black coated and have an inner steel cable (like a bike brake etc). on one solenoid, i can push it with my fingers to release the j-lock, the other is enclosed with plastic and have no access. both solenoids stopped at the same time and i have verified the switch continuity. any idea of which fuse to check or anything else? i have also tried this with the shifter in neutral (auto trans). i was thinking that in a worst case situation, i may run 12v from another source to the switch. right now i am screwed! any help would be appreciated!
Is is good to keep those 4 contact pads clean so your High Mount Stop Light to function properly. What I'm trying to say indirectly is that contact pas has NOTHING to do with the hatch/trunk pull-down motor.

Lon
Old 09-01-2011, 11:18 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27

Yes the J-hooks and latch are the same on a ASC GTA as on the Camaro.

Only someof the early ASC convertible conversions got the bracket with the white solenoid switch that attached to the same 3 screws that mount to the clear plastic motor housing.

Later they just used the existing reversing switch to signal that the trunk was open or closed.

If someone worked on your trunk and now the tonneau won't release, someone messed up your trunk pull-down unit. Be certain that you hear the distinctive CLICK when the trunk motor ends it's down cycle. If instead the motor just stops without that CLICK, then the trunk motor was installed too low on the body and is stalling out before the reversing switch trips (that CLICK I keep mentioning). Mark the current location of the trunk pull-down frame to the car body using a permanent marker or scratah awl. Then loosen the three 13mm screws and raise the trunk pull-down unit and tighten the screws again. This can also happen if someone replaced the trunk/hatch seal with new ones which are thicker.

Lon
Old 09-03-2011, 03:11 PM

Thank you for help. Trunk is clicking but still not working. And there seems to be no hook to manually release Tonua. I am still trouble shouting issue.

Originally Posted by lonsal
Yes the J-hooks and latch are the same on a ASC GTA as on the Camaro.

Only someof the early ASC convertible conversions got the bracket with the white solenoid switch that attached to the same 3 screws that mount to the clear plastic motor housing.

Later they just used the existing reversing switch to signal that the trunk was open or closed.

If someone worked on your trunk and now the tonneau won't release, someone messed up your trunk pull-down unit. Be certain that you hear the distinctive CLICK when the trunk motor ends it's down cycle. If instead the motor just stops without that CLICK, then the trunk motor was installed too low on the body and is stalling out before the reversing switch trips (that CLICK I keep mentioning). Mark the current location of the trunk pull-down frame to the car body using a permanent marker or scratah awl. Then loosen the three 13mm screws and raise the trunk pull-down unit and tighten the screws again. This can also happen if someone replaced the trunk/hatch seal with new ones which are thicker.

Lon
Old 09-03-2011, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by carrillo1967
Thank you for help. Trunk is clicking but still not working. And there seems to be no hook to manually release Tonua. I am still trouble shouting issue.
Update
Found the manual hooks. They were both buried behind the speak panels.
Previous owners mUst have worked on the speaker panels and left the strings behind.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:08 AM

Car: 91 Firebird Convertible
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: Automatic

I have developed a short somewhere that has blown the # 11 fuse which controls/powers the tonneau release switch along with the power antena, cigarette lighter, remote mirrors ect. This fuse has blown before and I replaced it and its been fine for over a year. Now it blows instantly upon contact. Of couse the car is garaged with top down so I will try this posts suggestions on mannual release. Is a base Firebird convert supposed to have a trunk closer ? Need to find an electrical trouble shooter in my area, but won't leave with top down because of rain/weather issues.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:05 AM

Car: 91 Firebird Convertible
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: Automatic

That was quick! I guess I've been blessed by former owners who kept everything pretty much intact. Black wire cables right where they should be once seat folded down. Thanks for the reminder/confirmation of what they did. The origninal owners manual was not with car or convert supplement. Was able to get manual thru dealer but not convert supplement.
Thanks 3 G network. Now find out whats up with the shorting issue.