Convertibles Discussed here are problems and solutions to convertible specific questions, including difficult to find part numbers and other convertible tech help.

Need Matrix 3 pictures!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 12:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1984 Camaro 'Vert
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
Need Matrix 3 pictures!

I'm in the final stages of planning for my 84 Matrix 3 vert. and am still perplexed by what Matrix did in terms of appearance packages. I've got an idea of what mine looked like and seen a few around the site, but I'm seeing few patterns, and honestly few packages that looked very good at all. I'm starting to wonder if they just slapped together whatever they felt like producing that day.

So... pictures. Anything you have, be it your car, or one you randomly have a picture of, any condition, any pictures. I'd really like this car to show its Matrix bloodlines... just in a less ugly way than it did before! Retro denim striping just doesn't do it for me! If I can't find anything, it may turn into a Z28 or IROC clone.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:34 AM

Re: Need Matrix 3 pictures!

More specificly, I'm looking for any pics of a Matrix 3 vert with any type of Matrix logos on the outside of the car. I was almost certain I saw some pics of one, but I can't find them again!
Old 06-11-2010, 02:13 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Trans Am 'vert
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 bolt

sorry I can't help you out but I'd like to see these pictures too.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:12 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 GTA/93 S13/91 Si
Engine: 5.7 350 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.23

never heard of it
Mikey
Old 06-11-2010, 10:43 AM

I have seen no common striping theme or Matrix3 specific decals or labels on any two Matrix F-bodies except a badge on the lower skirts behind the door. I have not seen an up close of that badge, but I assume it to be the same M3 badge they used on other cars.

The striping on your car looks to be added by the dealership or car owner, not Matrix3.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:32 PM

Slim- thanks for the pics. I really appreciate those and the observations about the badging. I'm starting to wonder if I just saw a grainy picture of an IROC-Z and thought it said "Matrix 3"

I'm noticing that most of the matrix verts I see are just like the ones you have in the pic, solid color with gray ground fx and that M3 badge. I'm wondering if mine is an earlier version? Because it has no ground fx and no M3 badging anywhere (aside from the Matrix tag in the doorsill.)

I'm also thrilled to hear that my stripes are not M3 stripes. They are absolutely awful looking and I really didn't want to save them.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by campin1983
I'm noticing that most of the matrix verts I see are just like the ones you have in the pic, solid color with gray ground fx and that M3 badge. I'm wondering if mine is an earlier version? Because it has no ground fx and no M3 badging anywhere (aside from the Matrix tag in the doorsill.)
Aren't the ground fx items in my photos just standard issue with the Z28? I would assume Matrix3 added no appearance items. They only converted the car to a convertible. Any added wings, stripes and whatnot were done by the dealer/owner. Is your car a Z28 that came with the ground fx? If not, then it probably never had them. And the M3 badge (wherever it was) could have fallen off over the years or been removed if the car was repainted.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:27 PM

The ground effects are standard with Z28's, its just that the Matrix verts seem to always have the same gray ground fx. I guess it just stands out to me because my vert is not a Z28. Its just odd to me, because mine looks significantly different than others. I wonder if Matrix didn't do many Sport Coupes, and mostly worked on Z28's. I'm also wondering how many things the dealership did to my car before they sold it...
Old 06-11-2010, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by campin1983
I wonder if Matrix didn't do many Sport Coupes, and mostly worked on Z28's.
Most convertibles by all the coach builders were done on the high-end version (Z28, GTA, Trans Am, IROC,etc). The Chevy/Pontiac dealer made the F-body order with GM and then the dealer sent the car the the coach builder. Typically, someone that was going to buy a F-body convertible with the $5K (or more) convertible upgrade, would not be interested in a low-end base model. A few were built, but most were loaded up cars. Some convertibles were ordered by the dealer at the request of a buyer, but others were ordered as "traffic generators" for the dealership showroom floor.

Matrix or any other coach builder did not care if it was a stripped down base model or a loaded to the gills Trans Am. The conversion process was the same and so was the up-charge.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:33 PM

Really interesting. My main purpose behind asking all of this is trying to figure out how I want to restore the outside of my car. I don't want it to look like it did, but I also don't really want to take away from its heritage. I guess really though, there's not anything about the exterior styling that matters. I'm also honestly starved for info on Matrix. I've spent hours searching for info on them and the only stuff I get is the info on this forum.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:53 AM

Car: 84 Z28 Matrix 3 convertible
Transmission: 700

The picture of the red car is mine. The only markings/badging I am aware of are the M3 logos on the ground effects. Mine also came with one on the ashtray but I remember someone else here saying mine was the only one they had seen with the badge there.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:58 AM

Rover-

Cool. It appears mine went without markings since it did not have ground fx. The PO had trouble figuring out who made it, because the only thing "Matrix" on it is the tag in the doorjamb.

What have you done to your car, and where have you found/made some of the Matrix specific stuff. Mine is pretty torn down right now, and I'm working on generic rust removal, but I'm still not sure what to do about some of the vert specific stuff.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:17 PM

Car: 84 Z28 Matrix 3 convertible
Transmission: 700

I have a crate motor in it but besides that it is stock.

The car has been in the family since it was new so I haven't had to do much with it. I do need to address the pot metal brackets that attach the front piece that latches above the windshield to the top frame as mine broke. I have also had to bypass several of the relays to keep the power top working.

I don't think you will find any M3 parts unless you can find another car.

If you need any pictures, etc. to help with your restoration project let me know and I will be happy to help. I will send you a pm with my email address as I don't frequent this board too often (slow day at work today).