Convertibles Discussed here are problems and solutions to convertible specific questions, including difficult to find part numbers and other convertible tech help.

Fun with Lo-Ballers

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Z28 Black/ Red Convertible
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: A/T
Fun with Lo-Ballers

Had a guy call me on my 91 Z28 'vert..just listed it on my local craigslist..it's a rare color combo and lo mi..I love it when guys try to tell me what it's worth (KBB??).. sour grapes mostly I think..I love telling them what to do with their Lo-*****..
Old 06-15-2009, 05:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 convertible built 3/1/1990
Engine: Cammed 6.0L LSX
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: custom Ford 8.8", 4.10 gears
Re: Fun with Lo-Ballers

You're selling it? How much do you honestly want to (and expect to) get for it?
Old 06-15-2009, 05:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird
Engine: 6.0
Axle/Gears: 3.73

link to the ad?

maybe you are priced too high. If your info is correct, a black 'vert isn't that rare, when compared to a Hawaiin orchard, hunter green or yellow 'vert.

Is it more rare than its hardtop/t-top brethren? Of course. Not trying to take away from that. Just saying, there are rarer color combo's out there.

good luck with the sale though

-jason
Old 06-15-2009, 06:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Z28 vert, 1988 GTA
Engine: 305 TPI, 305 Carb-finally runs!
Transmission: TH-700R4/BW WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi 4th gen 10-bolt/BW 9 bolt

OK, if it's the one I found on there (black with red interior), you're asking $6500 for a car that has a rough idle, needs A/C work, and also shows respray which could have been due to an accident?

Hmm...wish my dreams were that good!
Old 06-15-2009, 06:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: RS
Engine: LS1
Axle/Gears: 9" for the ladies

I don't like low ballers anymore then the next person.
HOWEVER if the car is really worth the asking price the car would be sold wouldn't it?

I "lowballed" ausi gto on here $5000 vs his $5500 asking price.
He wouldn't take it. His car has been for sale since march. All over $500
Apparently he has no concept of the time value of money.

So here's your ad
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/1223030229.html

You claim a $2000 alpine stereo but offer ZERO details. I can promise you maybe have $400 in stereo and paid some sound shop $1600 to install it.
Not really our fault.

Your all about the miles but if it's a respray then it's probably been hit and either way not shiney new so that pretty much makes the low miles thing not important if the body doesn't reflect that. No big pictures to show us the condition, no mention of what panels are actually over sprayed. The rear bumper doesn't match and says 5.7 so it's been replaced. I'm guessing the car was rear ended?

a/c work beyond a recharge will run $600+ from a shop. Again zero details of whats wrong.

What did you get offered and do you really want to know what it's worth or did you just want to complain?

Last edited by Aaron91RS; 06-15-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:02 PM

Car: 91 rs
Engine: 383 290 cam aed carb
Transmission: th350
Axle/Gears: 4.10 ticking time bomb

Good luck with your sale, and nice car too. I personally do not like seeing ads that say "no low ballers" and I will tell you why, some people price there stuff a bit high so they can take offers, some people are selling due to financial problems, and some people are tired of stuff sitting in there way, most of these people are negotiable on price and I want to pay as little as possible, so my first offer may typically be low,they can take 30 seconds to politely say no, or 45 seconds to counter offer, either way we can typically reach a fair arrangement for both, or the item is priced to high for my taste, and I say thanks anyway. All of this goes on with very little time wasted by the buyer or seller, and in a polite manner whether we reach a deal or not.

So where do people get off being rude after a low offer, I realize that you said " no low offers" but this person may have wanted the car, so he offered you what he thought it was worth, wher is the harm in that.

Personally, when I see stuff for sale with no low ball offers, unless the price is really fair already, I just move on.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:38 PM

I agree, I wasn't rude either but you have to say it at one point, thanks but no thanks. 500 off not a loBall..1/2 the price forget it. Yeah I shoulda kept my big mouth shut.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:30 PM

Car: 1991 Z28 vert, 1988 GTA
Engine: 305 TPI, 305 Carb-finally runs!
Transmission: TH-700R4/BW WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi 4th gen 10-bolt/BW 9 bolt

I gave $3500 for a 91 Z28 vert just like yours but a grey interior, and it needed A/C work, radio work, and head gaskets. So take that for what its worth.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:34 AM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird
Engine: 6.0
Axle/Gears: 3.73

If Aaron91RS has the correct posting on craigslist, then you are over priced

$4500 seems more in line for what needs to be done to it.

I mean, you live in the desert and trying to sell a car that has non working ac in June....

good luck with the sale

-jason
Old 06-16-2009, 08:38 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '92 T/A WS6 Vert/1956 Chevy Nomad
Transmission: 700r4 w/ Transgo Kit
Axle/Gears: 3.42 LSD

If you're not in a hurry to sell it, hold out for something closer to your price. Someone will see value in it. I personally think it looks great (hard to tell from craigslist photos). I don't know about $6,500 great, but someone might see that.

If you're in a hurry to sell, though, take $4,000 for it and don't look back.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:01 AM

If this car was really in rough shape I wouldn't bother asking too much. The market is really surging on these cars. Lo mile garage queens are bringing 10-25K. 3-4 grand doesn't usually get a cherry anymore, especially 'vert's. I think around $7500. is about right for this car, but with the a/c not blowing I lowered it to $6500. I have a standing offer of 5K from a friend.
I haven't had time to futz with the a/c I'll have my guy charge it this week. The stereo and alarm are simply an extra in my book. Anyway it's quality stuff professionally installed,certainly more than $400 worth of parts..
Well I'm off track,I'm selling a car not a stereo, but this is good stuff..I appreciate you guys' feedback.
BTW my lo-Ball guy was not too polite. In fact he seem quite perturbed that I was asking for more than KBB..then went on with the usual knocking of a car he's never seen..He never even made an offer, probably because I wouldn't lower the price over the phone.
I kept telling him to come and see the car and we'll make a fair deal..Seemed apparent to me the guy had about 3K to spend and was pi$$ed I wasn't goin' for it.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:13 AM

Car: 87 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Not sure, gotta look it up

I guess in the end it boils down to the fact your car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. That's the game, you have to hold out and deflect the low-ball offers until the "Right" buyer comes along. Who's this "Right" buyer? He's the guy that can see the value (if it actually exists) in what you have to offer. Emotional and impulse buyers aside there are those who know what your car is worth and if they're serious will offer you a reasonable price. You can tell these guys when they actually "SHOW UP" to view the car.

I don't have a lot of experience horse-trading cars but have done quite a bit with boats. Boats are a lot more subjective in their appraisal than cars. There are blue-book (NADA) values but they're not worth much more than just a very rough ball park figure.

So hold out for that "Right Buyer" to come along.... Good Luck.

PS. Oh yeah, don't even waste your time with the low-baller offering you peanuts. Just move on and continue to market your car as far and wide as you can.

Rick
Old 06-16-2009, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by CashSax
If this car was really in rough shape I wouldn't bother asking too much. The market is really surging on these cars. Lo mile garage queens are bringing 10-25K. 3-4 grand doesn't usually get a cherry anymore, especially 'vert's. I think around $7500. is about right for this car, but with the a/c not blowing I lowered it to $6500. I have a standing offer of 5K from a friend.
So how exactly does one convince someone who truely believe's their car is worth more then it really is?
I mean they obviously didn't get the memo on the bad economy. Haven't looked at what verts on here are selling for and truly must be using BJ as their only source of TMV.
It's your car, you love it, it has sentimental value to you.
But it doesn't to someone else and when I can search autotrader.com, the classifieds here and ebay and find 20 other verts for less as a buyer why would I buy yours?

I kept telling him to come and see the car and we'll make a fair deal..Seemed apparent to me the guy had about 3K to spend and was pi$$ed I wasn't goin' for it.
You're right the car is worth more then 3K, even KBB is ~$3800
Old 06-16-2009, 01:56 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1990
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock

what i do with people that ask how much will you really take, which is like betting against yourself in a poker game, i tell them to show up with $100.00 and start laying them down and if they get to my price i will pick the money up and they will get the keys. and if i get up and leave - well they are short.
that way you don't give someone your lowest price, and they say ok but show up a few hundred short.
good luck - not a bad looking vert.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:35 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87IROC, 740iBMW, 328iBMW, 86GMC
Engine: 5.7, 4.4LV8, 2.8, 6.0
Transmission: Manuals & Auto's
Axle/Gears: 3.27, 3.42

If you are serious about selling your car, pay for and run a good add. Try AutoTrader or some similar vehicle sales media. Then be real about the price. The inquires you get will reflect your local market, the add, and your salesmanship.

Using Autotrader, I sold two of my Camaro's this month to the very first buyers that looked at them. Did they offer less? A little bit for one, and the asking price for the other... We both came out okay.

Good luck
Old 06-16-2009, 07:17 PM

Car: 1984 Z28 HT,2006 2500HD
Engine: 5.7L, 6.6Llbz dmax
Transmission: 700R4, 6 speed allison
Axle/Gears: worn out 3.73 posi

what my car is worth to me and what my car is worth to you are two completely different things, so the "low ballers" may not actually be that far off what its worth.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:29 PM
Jay
Supreme Member

Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 5.7 RamJet
Axle/Gears: Dana44 4.10

I 've been selling my daily driver off and on the past few months. All I get are idiots offering 25-50% LESS than my asking price. I refuse to respond to them. It's one thing to come look at a car and talk price, it's entirely different to offer quite a bit less over emial/phone before seeing it. I've dealt with that type. You agree to your lowest price, then they show up with less than that and nitpick everything minor thing. Sorry I don't have time for that.
I set my price fairly based on the true value, pay it or leave me alone. I'll let the car sit in my garage forever if need be.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:05 PM

Car: 91 rs
Engine: 383 290 cam aed carb
Transmission: th350
Axle/Gears: 4.10 ticking time bomb

"You have been selling your daily driver off and on"

What does that mean, you sell it and then buy it back so you can sell it again?

I guess it means that you keep listing it and then taking it off?
Old 06-17-2009, 05:34 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Transmission: Automatic

Originally Posted by bart91406
"You have been selling your daily driver off and on"

What does that mean, you sell it and then buy it back so you can sell it again?

I guess it means that you keep listing it and then taking it off?
Nice
Old 06-17-2009, 05:46 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 IROC w/Danko bodykit, 1988 iroc vert, 1989 k1500 pickup 6" lift and 35" tires, 2002 chevy tahoe z71
Engine: 383 stealth ram, 305 tpi, 350 tbi, 5.3l
Transmission: T56, 700r4, 700r4, 4l460

wow makes me feel good buying my vert for 2k after seeing this
Old 06-17-2009, 09:06 AM

Car: Many
Engine: Several
Transmission: Automatics

i have mine on craigslist. i had a guy offer me $1100, i was asking $2k. i said come and get it, he then emailed me back and said he had to pay his grand fathers bills and only had $700.... he just turned my asking price of $2k into $700 AFTER offering me $1100. i just shake my head.

then he emailed me about twice a day about it, i had to block his email address.

people are ignorant.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Car: Too many

Yeah, selling a car always seems to bring out the idiots. Personally, I just prefer to skip the BS and ask exactly what I want for the car. Unfortunately, some people aren't happy unless they're able to talk to down. I really think some people wouldn't by a car for $2000 FIRM but if you were asking $3000 OBO for the same car they would buy it for $2500 since they were able to talk you down.

Actually, it seems the cheaper the car the more morons you'll find. In my experience the people intererested in the cheap cars are FAR pickier than the people interested in the nice ones. I've had some pretty nice cars for sale cheap and people come out and try to lowball you because the car needs a few minor things. Guess what, I know the car isn't perfect...that's why it's cheap!!!

The best one I ever had was a guy interested in a car I was selling for $3500. We talked and e-mailed back and forth for about a week about the car. He kept asking if I would take $2700 and I told him repeated I wouldn't go any lower than $3200. All he kept saying is we could work it out when he came out and I kept telling him no matter what I wasn't going lower than $3200. So he ends up driving about six hours to come get it and shows up with only $2700!!! Then he's mad at me because he drove six hours to get the car but I won't sell it to him. What an idiot!!
Old 06-17-2009, 09:48 AM

Third gen that's the guy I'm talking about..why do they bother, I think I sense some sour grapes here too..Bad economy myya$$ not on this car.. hey fellas, I kinda swiped my car too..But,do I have to sell cheap ? no, I don't think so, the car is too nice..I'm sure some of you would rather have my car than your own.. but if you can't afford it or don't want to spend that much on a particular car !!!6500.!!!(panting) omigod &%*#@$%^& !! well don't blink, it will be more next week..
Old 06-17-2009, 06:00 PM

I guess that's directed at me since I made the economy comment.
No I really wouldn't rather have your car then any of mine and I could pay cash for it today if I wanted to, but honestly I have no desire in it. I already have 4 fbodies in my driveway

I'm just trying to be honest with you in what it's worth, but as I stated there's no way that ever works out without the owner getting mad or insulted because they 'know better'

I'm on ebay/autotrader/craigslist 24/7. believe me when I tell you I see SO many cars sold I can tell you exaclty what a person can buy for X amount of dollars if they are patient.

Hopefully you find that 1 person whose willing to pay what you want for it.
Why don't you put it on ebay starting at $1 with no reserve?
You'll have a huge buyer base and competitive higher bidding instead of lowballing.

Good luck with the sale. Let us know when and how much you get for it.

Last edited by Aaron91RS; 06-17-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:09 PM

Thanks for your input Aaron, the car may wind up ebay..we'll see, anyway I'd have a reserve of 5K..a/c being restored this week and after some tweaking the car is now running fine. doing some more detail work. I do have local interest and a poss 69 Firebird trade.