Convertibles Discussed here are problems and solutions to convertible specific questions, including difficult to find part numbers and other convertible tech help.

convert t-tops to no top??

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '91 vert RS, '82 Z28
Engine: TBI 305, TPI 350
Transmission: Auto, 5 speed
convert t-tops to no top??

I know of only one car that this has been done to, the red one with the flames with the 4th gen everything int-motor/drivetrain. I dont know if the guy who oned thiscar was still a member here but I have really been researching wether or not I can chop the roof off my T-top equipted camaro.

I just need to know what needs to be done what parts I need to buy vert top, bars to make it go up and down, trunk lid etc. A parts list would be awsome, and hopfully everything can still be bought at the dealership. I was talking to a friend of mine whos a parts guy at a chev dealership and he was saying most parts are still obtainable. please help make my dream of having a vert a reality.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:05 PM

Car: 67 RS/SS 91 Z/28 vert
Engine: 305 TPI
lotsa parts man !

get yourself a parts car,,,,

I just got 2 convertibles, one is for parts but never had one before you would be suprised of all the differences

you should start with structure,,,specifically the sub frame connectors off another convertible (they are rivited on)
The instalation of the SFC's will mean that your front fender lower mounting points wont work (toward the door) the verts have a tab welded on the cowl, and special tab on fender.

parts list huh,,,,,hum
Trunk lid, hinges
Cant remeber for sure I think there is a filler panel between trunk and tonnuea ?
Tonnuea cover (laugh all ya want I dont know how to spell it) lol
the latch for the top, to tonnuea cover
Top, Top frame , latches from front leading edge, electric solonoids
pinch weld caps, and vert style spoiler if you want

I would take some pictures for you if you like of my parts vert, maybe show some of the area's you would need to change, since it is half apart. if that would benifit you let me know.

Also I know the "list" is not complete some more things I can think of would be special bracing and support for top frame, trunk area and such.

Additionally not trying to put the "sell" on ya but you need parts I have many for verts (most of what I mentioned in list.) from a 92 camaro rs

Have a great day

Larry
Old 05-26-2004, 03:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
the change is not economicly prudent , and all the parts were NEVER availible thru GM.

heck, ASC never even assigned part numbers to some of the parts.

id suggest you find another 3rdgen vert (theres alot out there still) pay the roughly $700-$1200 more that they sell for, and then move any parts from your current car onto that.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:26 PM

hey RocVert;

if ya could send some pics if ya wanna send em to me me email is devrand@attglobal.net

a friend of mine bought a vert and a t-top car, the t-top car was good to go but the vert was smashed in the front end, his car is an 85 so he just took everything and put it on the t-top car. hes outta town right now so i cant look at the car.

MrDude_1;

gm does have part numbers for some of the pieces like the trunk lid and other little pieces there just really over priced, i think it was 700 (can), yes i live in canada and this is why i cant get a parts car vert, there just not around. and the t-top cars are skyrocketing in price.

i picked up my car for 1000 and now i cant find one for less than 2500, i seen a couple 87 irocs just factory going for 10500, its really unbeleivable. im from winnipeg manitoba so if ya dont bellieve me check out the auto trader here online.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:58 AM

Car: Several
Engine: Several
Transmission: several
E-Bay Verts

In the last couple of weeks, 2 parts verts have been on e-bay with buy now and they went really quick in the area of $ 1000.00 or so.

Both of them had been in the classified section here, I think you can find one if you search hard enough....

I found mine in the classified section here and it was about 150 miles from me, Currently repairing major rust problems and will the cross-breed it with a wrecked 86 Iroc-Z that i have...

Here is a link for mine, Received a lot of help from board members when i was in process of buying mine.........

https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=225416

This is a link to one that has been in the classified section a couple of time's, May want to see if it is still for sale........

https://www.thirdgen.org/classifieds...tgo?adid=44314

Good Luck

Last edited by RicksRedNomad; 05-28-2004 at 01:12 AM.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:42 PM

Car: 1987 Firebird
Engine: 350 not original
Transmission: automatic
Just my opinion, but messing around with cars for over 30 years there's one thing I've learned and that is you're almost always money and time ahead to buy something that is original to fix up or pay the extra for a good car. I know you already have one you can use to cut up, but unless you can do 100% of it yourself and you are good at it and really like to do it, you'll loose in the long run. If it was me I'd sell the T top and use that toward the convertible. I have one and there seems to still be a lot of them out there. Just my opinion, but if you are doing it for fun and the expereince, go for it.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:42 PM

I was just wanting to do it for fun, Ive always wanted a convertable. I was playing for fun on a wrecked 88 iroc that I pulled my motor out of, I chopped the roof off and from there it didnt look so hard to just buy a top and go from there. Im starting to think it may be better to just sell my car now after its finished and buy a convertable. thanx for the input guys, most appreciated.

another little idea I was looking at and I posted it somwhere was cutting out the t-bar for that targa/corvette look, but then again where to get a roof panel for that?

so many ideas, so little money oh and time hahaha
Old 05-30-2004, 01:27 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1990 Iroc Z Convertible
Engine: LB9
Transmission: 700R4
Unfortunately the cost of convertible specific parts are outrageous. You are far better off waiting and when you can afford it purchasing a convertible. I live in the Toronto area and have seen convertibles for as little as 6000.00 bux CDN. Save your pennies and take a road trip to Ontario, there are some to be had here. The other problem with converting the car yourself is that after the thousands of diollars and hours you spend on the car it isn't really going to be worth much to anyone but you, because it wasn't a "factory authorized "convertible. So if you ever had to sell it the loss would be hard to take.

Last edited by zedder 1 9 9 0; 05-30-2004 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-30-2004, 01:39 PM

Car: Several
Engine: Several
Transmission: several
E-Bay 87 Iroc-Z vert

Here is another that is on E-Bay right now, It is a factory vert according to the Vin #. That would make it a 20th anniversary model and they are sought after..............

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...480251557&rd=1

You are looking at a 1987 Chevrolet Camaro Convertible Iroc-Z.
: 1G1FP31H9HN159537

Thanks
Old 06-19-2004, 03:29 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you do convert, dont' waste your time with the SFC's on the vert. Just buy some normal aftermarket SFC's for a non-vert car (since that's what you have to begin with). The SFC's that came on our cars aren't only a joke, but a huge PITA.