Convertibles Discussed here are problems and solutions to convertible specific questions, including difficult to find part numbers and other convertible tech help.

Convertible top replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Trans Am Convertible
Engine: 300 HP 350 CI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Drums?
Convertible top replacement

Since we have a new board just for convertibles I thought I would post this in case anyone is replacing their top and needs some help.

https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=175283
Old 01-19-2004, 08:36 PM

Car: 89 Iroc Z Cnvertible
Engine: 409 SR
Transmission: 6 speed
I took a lot of pics when I replaced my top a few years ago. They can can be found here. Maybe someone will find them useful.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:38 PM

Same here... did a top transplant this past summer. Got a few pics posted here , but I don't know that they'll be much help. More of a general record than an instructional. There is a step by step posted at www.sethirdgen.org ... it's the one I went by. It wasn't terribly difficult, just time consuming. Did it in just over ten hours... one day's work. Just make sure to clean all the old glue off, and use something stronger than 3M general trim adhesive. And be sure to give the adhesive plenty of time to set up... use some clamps and let it set for a couple of hours before removing them. I speak from experience... I presently need to re-glue my top along the back, where it meets the tonneau cover.

Best of luck!

Last edited by Cargasm; 01-19-2004 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:08 PM

Car: 92 Z28 92 RS Vert
Engine: 350 TPI 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4 Auto (2x)
CARGASM

het cargasm, in your pictures...i see a step by step print out of how to replace your conv top. do u still have the papers? if so what is the website you got them from. i am doing my top soon and need directions. also, if anyone has anymore pics (other than ones posted b4) of replacing their top, please post them. thanx guys.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:11 PM

Car: 92 Z28 92 RS Vert
Engine: 350 TPI 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4 Auto (2x)
nevermind cargasm. i did a little detective work and figured it out. thank though. how tough was the job? is it worth paying someone to do it ?
Old 01-19-2004, 09:20 PM

Neat... I answered both your questions before I read them in my post update. If you're not willing to spend a weekend doing it, or going back to correct a mistake (which probably WILL happen... goes with the territory, I guess), then you may want to pay someone to do it. Expect to have to pay a few hundred dollars, tho... if you can get of with paying less, you're doing pretty damn good. Not really dirty, or hard... just tedious. Have fun!
Old 01-22-2004, 12:13 AM

I ended up using some glue called Gorilla Glue on some of the corners that were pulling up. I ended up with the top being very tight, but that can be adjusted out if it causes any problems.
Old 01-23-2004, 04:35 PM

measurements

Hey guys/gals, thanks for posting the informative links. After perusing them and others, I feel like I might be able to tackle changing my top which was ripped to shreds by vandals who felt they needed the face plate from my stereo. They only got the face plate because I mount my stereos old school style with that bracket that screws to the back of the stereo, but I digress.

I've been told that the most important measurement in regards to ordering the correct top, is the one labeled B in the attached pic. The guy that I'm considering purchasing the top from said that the measurement can be taken while the top was still on. What do you guys think?

The headliner was also ripped, so I'll have to replace it also. At any rate, thanks in advance for your input.

Peace
Attached Thumbnails Convertible top replacement-conv.top.measurement.jpg  
Old 01-25-2004, 03:22 PM

I'm not sure what the differences are, but from what I've read there are a few differences between some of the different years and the frames that were used. You may want to search and see if you can find out what the differences were.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:28 PM

Car: 1992 Z-28 Convertible
Engine: 305 LB9 TPI
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Yeah We can do this. So the question is--What glue to use? Did the Gorrilla Glue work? Is there a glue that is recommended by interior shops? Just food for thought
Old 01-28-2004, 04:29 PM

BLESS YOU GUYS!!!!!

I'm in the process of buying a 91 Camaro RS and the back window on the top has come unstitched. I think the best option is replacement.

This thread will be invaluable.

THANKS!!!!!!!!:hail:
Old 01-28-2004, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by marineengineer
Yeah We can do this. So the question is--What glue to use? Did the Gorrilla Glue work? Is there a glue that is recommended by interior shops? Just food for thought
I would call an interior shop.

The place where I bought my top from was very helpful and had a few tips on replacing the top. They even gave me a coffee can with the glue that they use in the shop. Worked out great.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:09 PM

The Gorilla Glue was only used on the two corners near the door handles. My top is pretty tight, and they were trying to pull up, so I added a little of this glue and they haven't budged since.

When I did the rest of the top originally I went to the hardware store and looked for glue. I ended up using some regular rubber cement that I got at the hardware store and it worked ok. The top has metal pieces that clamp it down along the really stressed points, but along the entire bow under the rear window it is glued into place. There are two rivets that lock that part in position, but glue does a lot of the work. If I had it to do over completely I would probably have used the Gorilla Glue on the entire thing, but that stuff is rock solid and would probably be hard to pull loose if you messed something up. If you start to do this you will need to have a couple of days to let the glue set up and do a lot of trial fitting before trimming the pieces and glueing them into position. If you guys need any more help with this let me know.
Old 02-03-2004, 01:37 AM

This question may make it seem like I have more research to do before I change my top, but when you say: "...before trimming the pieces ...", what pieces have to be trimmed exactly? Are you referring to excess material that attaches to bow 1 & 5 on the ends? tia
Old 02-03-2004, 06:28 PM

Originally posted by Conv90RS
This question may make it seem like I have more research to do before I change my top, but when you say: "...before trimming the pieces ...", what pieces have to be trimmed exactly? Are you referring to excess material that attaches to bow 1 & 5 on the ends? tia
Yes, that is what he is referring to.
Old 02-07-2004, 01:08 AM

Just got my top and headliner in the mail a couple of days ago. From the looks of it, the only material that will need to be trimmed is in the area that connects to Bow #1.

Have yet to purchase the glue, but was considering using the Gorilla Glue. I realize it my be difficult to reposition once it has set, guess I'll have to make damn sure of positioning prior to gluing.

Would you guys even attempt this in our current weather temperatures? We're running in the 40s during the day and lo 20s at night. I'll be replacing the top in a garage, but it's not climate controlled, and reaches down into the 30s at night. Just wasn't sure that this was as big an issue as it seems. tia
Old 02-07-2004, 08:47 AM

Originally posted by Conv90RS
Just got my top and headliner in the mail a couple of days ago. From the looks of it, the only material that will need to be trimmed is in the area that connects to Bow #1.

Have yet to purchase the glue, but was considering using the Gorilla Glue. I realize it my be difficult to reposition once it has set, guess I'll have to make damn sure of positioning prior to gluing.

Would you guys even attempt this in our current weather temperatures? We're running in the 40s during the day and lo 20s at night. I'll be replacing the top in a garage, but it's not climate controlled, and reaches down into the 30s at night. Just wasn't sure that this was as big an issue as it seems. tia

I would not do the top till it is at least 70 degrees either in the garage or outside.
Old 02-07-2004, 01:08 PM

I would definately not attempt doing this with it so cold. You would probably have problems when it warmed up and the material expanded. Not to mention getting the glue to work.

The gorilla glue is kind of odd. You apply glue to one side of what you want to glue and water to the other. It has to be under pressure for a while to set, so you will be able to move it around to get it right. I used clothspin type carpentry clamps to hold mine in postion until the glue set. I would suggest getting about 8 at least to hold the thing in position for the dry fittings, and then to set the glue in place.
Old 02-07-2004, 04:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 Trans Am 'Vert
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5 Speed
When I had to reado the back of my top becasue it almost came completley undone, I used 3m SUPER Trim Adhesive. Sprayed on both the fram and top carefully, let it set for a minute, then used clamps with small thin wooden "shims" (acually the slats from an old folding door). When I did it, I made sure to pull it nice and tight, so when it shut it tightened up the rest of the top. Let me tell you, this top hasnt moved in well over a year and is damn rock sold. When I redo my top entirely, Ill be using the 3m Super Trim Adhesive.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:27 PM

Thanks alot for your input guys. Glad I checked in before I started. Don't get alot of time off of work (this Fri & Sat are the first double days off I've had in over six months), so was going to try to change it this Friday, but think I'll wait till it warms up, thanks Frobozz.

Will definitely look into those clamps, thanks 91DT/TA.

88WS6 TA>> thanks for your input, I like the idea of using the shim to clamp more of the top. I'll also look into that 3m Super trim adhesive, I'm a little leary of the Gorilla glue needless to say.

Thanks again guys, guess I'll just duct tape the holes in my top for now.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:33 PM

I'm bringing this thread back for two reasons. First I recently installed another new top with a glass window from topsonline. Great product. Much heavier material and has sealed seams and an inner layer that reinforces the fabric top. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a top. I bought a top that was a nos part and it literally ripped itself to pieces.

When you install the top be sure that it is not too tight. This was part of my problem, but once I installed the new top it was also somewhat tight. Especially in the back where the bows above the back window are. I was really worried about this new top tearing like the old one. I was very careful and took my time but the new top was stretched like the first one I installed. However, after a few days the new top stretched into shape and conformed to the bows. The oem top ripped and fell apart where the new one had better material and in the end fits as close to perfect as it could get. I would recommend contact cement for installation, but you will need a second set of hands to get it right.

The second reason I brought this back is that part of this thread appeared recently with no credit given to me for writing it. Not a big deal, but I thought the entire post would be more helpful. I've done two tops now and if anyone needs some help let me know. Finally, I will never again use a plastic window. The glass is so much better that there is literally a world of difference. I can see what's behind me on the road and I can actually back the thing up and see what I'm running over now. Not to mention being able to tint the glass. No more being blinded by *******s at night.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:57 PM

Car: 91 z28 convertible
Engine: 305
Transmission: 5 speed
Re: Convertible top replacement

Originally Posted by 91DropTopTA
I'm bringing this thread back for two reasons. First I recently installed another new top with a glass window from topsonline. Great product. Much heavier material and has sealed seams and an inner layer that reinforces the fabric top. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a top. I bought a top that was a nos part and it literally ripped itself to pieces.

When you install the top be sure that it is not too tight. This was part of my problem, but once I installed the new top it was also somewhat tight. Especially in the back where the bows above the back window are. I was really worried about this new top tearing like the old one. I was very careful and took my time but the new top was stretched like the first one I installed. However, after a few days the new top stretched into shape and conformed to the bows. The oem top ripped and fell apart where the new one had better material and in the end fits as close to perfect as it could get. I would recommend contact cement for installation, but you will need a second set of hands to get it right.

The second reason I brought this back is that part of this thread appeared recently with no credit given to me for writing it. Not a big deal, but I thought the entire post would be more helpful. I've done two tops now and if anyone needs some help let me know. Finally, I will never again use a plastic window. The glass is so much better that there is literally a world of difference. I can see what's behind me on the road and I can actually back the thing up and see what I'm running over now. Not to mention being able to tint the glass. No more being blinded by *******s at night.
My top came apart last week, and Im about to buy it from TOPS ONLINE but Ive read that there is 2 part numbers for certain models. Mine is a 91 camaro. Do you have the part number of the top that you installed. Thanks