Classified Ads Feedback Board Use this board to discuss your Classifieds transactions, buyers, and sellers. Do Not post ads here, they will be deleted on sight and without notice.

certified check

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
certified check

This (tolocke@aaahawk.com) person said his name is Tom and wanted to buy my car but would not be able to do so except on a Saturday due to his being a 20 year old college student in San Diego (I am 2 hrs away in Ontario) and would pay by certified check only.
After numerous emails trying to explain about my car, offering to take him to AAA and register it, doing a smog, etc, he pulled out of the deal because of the cash only requirement.
I don't know if he is legit but after reading of the certified check frauds on this board I thought it might be a variation and decided to post a warning. If you get an offer from him BE CAREFUL and get Cash.

Last edited by 88txiroc; 02-23-2004 at 10:28 PM.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:16 AM

Car: NONE! and it SUCKS!
I backed out after 1) you insisted on cash, 2) you wanted to meet in a parking lot where the car was stored, 3) learning the car's registration was not renewed 4) and I learned of the car's repeated smog failure history Here and lack of current smog certification.
I'm glad I backed out of the deal. I wouldn't want to show up to an empty parking lot and get jumped for my cash, or buy a junk car.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:47 AM

Reply to Tom Burroughs for the members here

I will re-iterate for the members here: You were told that the car was stored where it could be driven while non-op'd and needed a smog, YOU offered to pay for a smog, you said you could only come down on a Saturday and pay with a certified check and wanted to drive it home. The smog problem was fixed by the state last time (5,000 miles ago) but still could use a cat and some carb work. I told you that it was a cash only deal and I accepted your terms to sell it AFTER it passed smog and take you to AAA to transfer it since you have NO insurance. I also informed you that AAA told me I COULD sell it without all that bother because it was non-op'd and had you bothered to ASK about the smog 1st instead of offering to pay you would have discovered that my listed selling price included smog. The sticky point is releasing the car and accepting a check on a Saturday. NOT the car or its paperwork you haven't seen. Members BEWARE.