Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

vacuum.. as defined by webster

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2001, 03:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Turbo Buick
Engine: 3.8 V6
vacuum.. as defined by webster

Some "experts" here dont seem to know what the word vacuum means so i thought i should provide them with the definition

Vacuum- 1 A space with nothing at all in it; completely empty space 2 a) an enclosed space, as that inside a vacuum tube, out which most of the air or gas has been taken, as by pumping b) the degree to which pressure has been brought below atmospheric pressure 3 Space left empty by the removal or absence of something usually found in it; void: often used figuratively

Can someone please show me the dictionary with the definition of vacuum expanded to include "pressure differential" as defined by a member of this board? Im just trying to expand my limited knowledge

Old 03-28-2001, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This definition "the degree to which pressure has been brought below atmospheric pressure" compares pressure "A" (arbitrarily chosen label) to atmospheric pressure, "B". The amount of vacuum is the difference, or "differential", between the 2 pressures, ie vacuum = B - A. Since we dont live in a true vacuum [ A space with nothing at all in it; completely empty space], vacuum is always a relative effect. Since engines dont see true atmospheric pressure too often, we must consider the relative pressures between the top of the carb (or FI) and the manifold. The differential between these 2 pressures is what we call vacuum, despite the fact that there is no 'true' vacuum. Its a matter of semantics.
Try looking at your question the other way, assuming that "differential" is the correct description for the effect rather than the commonly used "vacuum" and youll find you answer

------------------
1984 Z28 (L69) monochrome tangerine orange with IROC decals and hood
1987 IROC wheels with Goodyear GSC's
305 from 87 IROC with 1994 LT1 cam (203/208 .450/.460")
performer intake with holley 600 (#1850)
Qjet is in the works
dynomax cat-back
non WC T-5 with 0.73 5th
3.27 nine-bolt
Old 03-28-2001, 07:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Call it a subtle point of logic, but usually locking a post doesn't mean the moderater wants it started back up in another thread. I'm moving this to the Pointless Debate Board.

------------------
"American made baby. 100% American iron. The muscle among the masses. My hero. Yep, you can take your ergonomically designed, space age, computer controlled, 4 door, cup holding map lighted split double wishbone split fold down retractable cargo covered moon roof piece of transportation and keep it. For I have felt the thunder. And I know the difference!"
JSP Motorsports
ICON Motorsports