Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Should this hole in the primary bore be blocked off on this side?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2000, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 2002 SOM z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T-56
Should this hole in the primary bore be blocked off on this side?

On my q-jet, in the primary bore in the base, there is a slot and underneath that is a small hole. The primary throttle blade (when closed) sits towards the bottom of the slot and above the hole.

On the left side, the hole is open and when I pour water down the passage, it comes out both the slot and the hole beneath. On the right side, there seems to be a piece of metal in the small hole... is this a plug that is supposed to be there or some crap that is in there REALLY good?

If it isn't supposed to be there, I have two options I guess. Get a new base for a q-jet or to get a vacuum HEI and Holley DP... suggestions? Would this cause a code 45 and the car not to start (due to flooding?)?

PS- I also broke off the heads off both of the throttle blade screws for that bore... damn things are rusting.

------------------
1984 z28 w/ a 357 cu in. monster engine which is looking like the posterchild for Edelbrock... all the suspension stuff... 9-bolt posi disk is in... K&N filter... 93 octane...

-=ICON Motorsports=-
Old 11-13-2000, 07:34 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 04 GTO
Transmission: M12 T56
Sounds like you are talking about the idle discharge ports (small holes) and the transition slot.
No, it shouldn't be blocked, though i would think this would give you a lean/screwed up idle.
You broke the throttle plate screws b/c they are pinned in, not rusty. They aren't designed to come out (or else they could fall in your engine.) I wouldn't get a new base at this point, just get new throttle shaft bushings put in, and have them repin the throttle plates too. (pinning is kinda like splitting the bottom of the screw so that it spreads out and locks itself in.)
...ed
ps..i deleted your double post of this

[This message has been edited by Ed Maher (edited November 13, 2000).]
Old 11-13-2000, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 2002 SOM z28
Transmission: T-56
It looks like some sort of metal piece is stuck in there. A lean condition would explain TONS. I have been trying to track down a vacuum leak with no success for the past few months. Even changed the intake manifold gasket!

I have the base off the q-jet and theoretically could get another one. This one needs to have that prot drilled out again (if possible) and like you said, new screws put back into the throttle blade.

But, since I just got a vacuum HEI and will buy a Holley 750DP vac secondary today... I really don't need it. I was really looking at the Speed Demon because the Road Demon is too small for my setup, but I'd have to tack on another $50 for the electric choke and $80 for a fuel line for Demon carbs... That on top of $414 for the carb itself, no way!
Old 11-13-2000, 10:49 AM
Supreme Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
You could have backed those throttle plate screws out if you first ground off the extra threads of the screw that are sticking through the far side of the throttle shaft. They just smash the threads down flat so you can't back them out (or back themselves out). When you reinstall them just use a little loctite on the threads and you'll be fine.

As for the ones you already broke off- you're screwed. I doubt you can do much other than to drill them out at this point and re-tap the hole for a little larger screw (I say that like it's easy to do which it isn't). Just use a little extra care to get the throttle plate on there straight when you are reassembling.

If the off-idle discharge slot has crud in it you should be able to get it out by taking the throttle body part of the carb off and getting at it from where the idle-down tube runs, just behind that slot, in a vertical direction.