Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Barometric Pressure sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2002, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barometric Pressure sensor?

I have this lt blue-green 3 wire weather pack connector on the passengerside Fire wall above the A/C-heater blower motor on my '84 LG4 Berlinetta and it's never been connected to anything. I saw a few Carbed V6 and LG4 cars in the yards this weekend and they had a bracket and a sensor that had the same numbers and in every way looked identicle to the Vac sensor behind the brake booster.

According to my chiltons this is the area where a Barometric pressure sensor should be. I got a pair of the sensors at the junk yard but it didn't seem to make any difference I'm assuming because I don't stray very far from sea level. Is there any reason why my car wouldn't have this sensor from the factory? I've seen other LG4 cars the same way with no evidence of ever having the bracket or sensor installed.

Thanks,
R
Old 01-31-2002, 02:59 PM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
That's where it was on my '86 donor car, and where I put it when I did the swap.

I wasn't paying a lot of attention, but I believe the diagrams I had (Haynes) showed the sensor under the dash for the original '82 V6. Since I swapped out the entire harness including engine and dash, I didn't worry about where V6 things were.

I'm sure it's somewhere on your car. It wouldn't run right without it.

The MAP and BAP sensors are the same part. One has a hose attached to the nipple, the other a block of foam.
Old 01-31-2002, 05:58 PM

I had the connector for it near the firewall but never had the sensor and the cowl doesn't look like it ever had the bracket.

R
Old 11-05-2015, 04:11 PM

Re: Barometric Pressure sensor?

The two pressure sensors on my 1984 305 H code Berlinetta are not the same. The one on the passenger side does not have a vacuum line attached to it as it measures ambient barometric pressure. The sensors look identical as do a few others. The only difference I could determine was the harness connectors have orientation pins to prevent using the wrong sensor with the wrong plug. I know this because I just today solved the mystery of my intermittent check engine light. It set a code for a barometric sensor circuit failure. After reading through DOZENS of posts and discarding many many backyard master mechanics claims I figured this out. Someone before me had connected the passenger side sensor to manifold vacuum. All I had to do was disconnect it and plug the hose. BAM ! no more check engine light. Amazing the amount of stuff you have to comb through just to get a simple answer.