Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

carb backfire

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 Cadillac Brougham
Engine: 1989 Iroc Z 350
Transmission: 700R4
carb backfire

88 roller 350 with vortec heads, hei, holley 650 vac secondaries, #70 main jets, timing set at 15 deg base, fuel pressure 5psi. Newly built engine.Carb backfires when you go from idle to WOT. Most of the time its not flame, just a cough from the carb. idle screws currently turned out 1 1/2 turns, choke is set proper, and accel pump lever set to .015". Float level good. I've upped my jet size, played with idle screws, isolated the secondaries, played with squirter size and adjustment on lever but NOTHING is helping to get rid of this backfire. Doesn't fall on its face, just stumbles and backfires thru carb and then keeps climbing in rpm. HELLLLP!
Old 03-24-2016, 08:10 AM

Car: 1990 IROC
Engine: Rebuilt L98 with H/C/I/Carb
Transmission: TH350 with ATI Treemaster
Axle/Gears: 7.5 with 4.10's
Re: carb backfire

If it is a backfire, sounds like a timing or spark issue to me (HEI module going south, not enough initial advance, etc.). If it is just a stumble and not really a backfire, then it is most likely the accelerator pump. Make sure the arm is touching the pump and that even the slightest movement of the throttle provides a stream of fuel from the squirter.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:09 PM

I'm having the same exact problem with an Edelbrock Performer on a 305, was hoping to find some advice here. I went through several carb adjustment (metering rods, springs) with no appreciable change. If I roll into the throttle, the RPM will climb to the redline w/o issue, but it sputters, backfires, or just straight dies if I get on the throttle hard.

I've check the timing, but haven't changed it. This motor ran fine with the same timing using a GM Q-Jet. Plugs and wires are newish and have been used in this motor with a different carb. The plugs appear to be indicating a rich condition, but I'm not an expert at reading plugs.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:38 PM

Car: 1984 Cadillac Brougham
Engine: 1989 Iroc Z 350
Transmission: 700R4

Originally Posted by theshackle
I'm having the same exact problem with an Edelbrock Performer on a 305, was hoping to find some advice here. I went through several carb adjustment (metering rods, springs) with no appreciable change. If I roll into the throttle, the RPM will climb to the redline w/o issue, but it sputters, backfires, or just straight dies if I get on the throttle hard.

I've check the timing, but haven't changed it. This motor ran fine with the same timing using a GM Q-Jet. Plugs and wires are newish and have been used in this motor with a different carb. The plugs appear to be indicating a rich condition, but I'm not an expert at reading plugs.
It turned out that my plugs were the culprit. Put them in last September and have only about 1000 km on them and cars been parked since november. They were run rich for too long and ended up fouling them. Changed the plugs and took care of almost all my problems. May not be the same for yours, but something to think about. If they're heavy with soot or gas, may want to change them out.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by acerulz
It turned out that my plugs were the culprit. Put them in last September and have only about 1000 km on them and cars been parked since november. They were run rich for too long and ended up fouling them. Changed the plugs and took care of almost all my problems. May not be the same for yours, but something to think about. If they're heavy with soot or gas, may want to change them out.
My problem was in the carb. I changed the plugs and distributor cap with no effect, so I swapped carbs with my other car and the problem didn't occur with the second carb. I still don't know what it was. Both carbs are the same CFM, but the second one is a Holley, go figure. Both cars seem to run fine now.