Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Anyone use the Torker intake?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2001, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone use the Torker intake?

Does anyone have any experience with the Torker intake, how well does it flow. Will it flow enough for my 355 at 6500 rpms and what kind of power does it make vs the performer? Motor has heavily ported 882 heads and a performer 750 carb, also headers and a crappy gm 151 cam.The pistons are flat tops.
Old 12-20-2001, 05:39 PM
Supreme Member

Re: Anyone use the Torker intake?

Originally posted by Digger
what kind of power does it make vs the performer? Motor has heavily ported 882 heads and a performer 750 carb, also headers and a crappy gm 151 cam. The pistons are flat tops.
Originally posted by Digger

heavily ported 882 heads
gasket matched Torker intake Edelbock Performer 750 carb
Speed pro cam 222 @.05 .447 lift

lol..do you even really have the car or is that in the sig just for the hell of it too? just curious
Old 12-20-2001, 07:10 PM

Yeah I have the car, I didnt want to post my sig. The car kinda lacks on the top end, I think its fuel related but I was interested in peoples opinions in the intake, I also have an edelbrock SP2P intake but it sucks. I was just wondering how much they flow.

Last edited by Digger; 12-20-2001 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-20-2001, 08:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
That Speed Pro cam is a replica of the "crappy 151".

The Performer is pretty much a duplicate of one of the better stock intakes. It's not going to help out on the top end, I can guarantee that.

The Torker wasn't very popular when it was new IIRC. It didn't survive very long before they came out with the Torker II which ran a whole lot better and was pretty popular for a long time. But any single plane intake is a terrible match for that cam; a big plenum on top of barely-cracked-open valves will produce an effect about like trying to empty a bucket through a drinking straw. Big-time mismatch.

The Perf RPM on the other hand runs better in most tests on motors anything like for the street than any single plane intake, even modern ones, and has been dyno-proven by a bunch of people with no particular axe to grind to do better than a Torker II, so no doubt it would do better than that Torker. The SP-2P was an OK intake for its day, the RPM has sort of the same design philosophy that it had, namely a large plenum and medium-sized runners, for decent flow up to 6000-6500 RPM but without killing the bottom end any worse than it has to. If I had a car that it would fit in without a hood clearance problem, I'd use a RPM Air-Gap, or at least a RPM, long before I'd use a Torker II or a Torker.

I still think you ought to lose that cam before you do anything else, you'll be trying to figure out why it doesn't run very good no matter what you put on top of it until you do. That cam just sucks, period. I have never, ever, in all my days of doing this (which are admittedly quite a few) seen a motor with that cam that ran strong. Most of them couldn't pull a greasy string out of a cat's a** they were so weak. It makes a motor run like the old "Stage 2" cam did, except even more so: they seem like they wind forever because they have so little bottom end that the motor doesn't seem to "nose over", but it never really "turns on" either; you feel like you have to keep it in low gear though because it seems like any minute it's going to hit its power band, but after a while you realize there is no power band, that's why the motor never gets into it.

I believe if I was you I'd put a Comp XE268 in it, and a Perf RPM on top; I don't think you'd recognize your motor any more if you did that. It would probably feel about like you bolted on another 150 cubic inches.
Old 12-21-2001, 12:59 AM

I have the torker intake and its pretty good from 2000-6000 rpms.I am only using it since i got it for free,untill i buy a weiand blower Other wise its an alright intake.
Old 12-21-2001, 03:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Car: 1988 Firebird S/E
Engine: 406Ci Vortec SBC
Transmission: TH-350/3500stall
Axle/Gears: 7.5" Auburn 4.10 Posi-Traction
The old torker intake works well when matched with the
right cam, heads, compression ratio, converter and rear gear.
unfortunatly you don't have any of these though.
Match the torker with 10:1+ cr, hi perf ported camel back like heads, a tight lobe center cam (106- 109) around 230 to 246@.050 with .480 to .500 lift installed advanced. You'll need a
3000 to 3500 stall converter and 4.10+ gears to take advantage of the powerband. It will pull strong from 3000 to 6500+ rpm
if set up like this. 390 to 430 hp potencial.
Those 882's are really holding you back....
Old 12-26-2001, 04:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Z-28
Engine: 350
Transmission: T-5 (gonna buy the farm)
I don't have personal experience with the Torker, but I have gathered this from what I have read over the years. The original Torker was good, but the main, and rather big problem, was the angle of port entry to the heads. The runners are not curved like the 2nd version. This creates an oblique angle. The air/fuel is flowing down the runner, and then hits the side of the intake port on the head before moving to the valve. This slows down the flow considerably. Take it for what its worth. To me the price for a new one alone is reason enough to buy something more up to date.