Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

New design for the 4150/4500 style carbs...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 T/A - 70 Z28/RS
Engine: Broke - 350
Transmission: 700R4 - M22
Axle/Gears: G80, 2.73 - ZQ9 G80 4.10
New design for the 4150/4500 style carbs...

My brother sent me this link about Pro Systems SV1 carb and I have to say this article makes a lot of sense. I have seen tests on runner designs and combustion chamber designs and they talk about "Clean Air" and how they design these to prove a better mixture for a cleaner combustion. I always wondered about the backside area of the throttle blades but never gave it too much thought.

This is a good article. Review and post up your thoughts....

http://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tec...sv1-carburetor
Old 01-08-2013, 07:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '90 Formula 350
Engine: 383 SBC
Transmission: ProBuilt S/S 700-R4 & ACT 9" Stall
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.23
Re: New design for the 4150/4500 style carbs...

That's been out a while.

Here's the vid from their site.
th_SV1movie3.jpg?videoplayer=offsite?videoplayer=offsite

The big thing is it flows around 1100 CFM and up so kinda too big for most of us that run stuff on the street, unless you're running a BBC or something.

If I remember right people some people claimed problems when trying to mount it to intakes... I think someone tried to mount it to an Air Gap intake...

Patrick over at Pro-Systems builds each carb for the application after he gets all your specs so yeah not a bad deal really. I know their 4150 HP carbs aren't that much more over normal off the shelf units.

If you wanted to pick through more of their carb info try:
http://prosystems.websitetoolbox.com/

Looks like they are planning on doing a blow thru sv1 eventually.

Here's what I got back from my custom carb request last year.
After reviewing the specs, on your 383 combination, (good looking combo you've built for sure) one of our big throttle blade/smaller venturi HP body equipped 4150 gasoline double pumper carburetors is what we would build for your application

Here is some basic info on the carb I am talking about: This blade/venturi combination that we have continually developed over the years, offers us the best of both worlds. It offers, lots of low speed signal to give us a good high rate of engine acceleration. But by incorporating a big throttle blade equipped Billet baseplate, it gives us more high rpm power as well. You get the the best of both worlds that way with no compromises.

As you can be expect from a custom carburetor, it has our adjustable air bleed configuration, non-stick gaskets, Drag float, jet extensions, Billet baseplate, anti siphon mods for clean braking, a complete wet-flow portfolio (for easy jet selection, but we're usually dead on or within 2 jet sizes), a real sharp piece with stepped dog leg boosters, big sight glass bowls and hi-flow needle and seats.

Typically I see a 15-30 hp improvement over an off the shelf unit with much better consistency and EXCELLENT driveability.

We'll size it for the exact cfm range when it is on the wet flow bench to match your programs needs. But it'll probably end up being in the 830-840 REAL cfm range.

We don't pull off the shelf as each design is custom built to minimize or completely eliminate customer tuning requirements (we even try to set the idle dead-on for you).

Patrick James
Old 01-08-2013, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 T/A - 70 Z28/RS
Engine: Broke - 350
Transmission: 700R4 - M22
Axle/Gears: G80, 2.73 - ZQ9 G80 4.10
Re: New design for the 4150/4500 style carbs...

I use to race a 67 Camaro with a 388 SBC motor and used a Holley 800cfm carb. We use to have an 850 carb to start with but it was too inconsistent for our application. I've read some of posts on their forum and they seem to be really helpful and well worth the money.

I haven't really done much research on newer stuff in the last few years since we haven't raced our car for awhile. Just recently my father bought a spitzer dragster and my brother got licensed at the end of 2011 and this was the first year we have really gotten back on the track on a regular basis.

Also I saw that Tony Bischoff from BES is using their carbs and they are the guys that built the motor that came with the dragster and they have done some head work for our old 388 as well. A great bunch of guys that really know what they are doing and fortunately they are only 25 minutes away from my house