Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Quadrajet Extremely Rich - Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 10:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 84 Z28, '15 Colorado
Engine: L69
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Quadrajet Extremely Rich - Advice Needed

Hello all.

Long story short. I bought my 84 Z28 (L69, CCC, etc) and was only getting 11 mpg on the highway. I attributed this to old sensors and a 327 Corvette cam that was installed by the previous owners on the engine rebuild. I had a shop plug and OBD1 reader and all the sensors were working which to me meant the cam was overkill for the 305

I decided to remove the engine and start from scratch to include rebuilding the original CCC. While rebuilding it I learned my secondaries were stuck open causing my over excessive fuel use. I put the now fixed carb back together with all adjustments set back to the factory spots.

The motor is back in with ported/polished 416 heads, XE262 cam, headers, RPM intake, and all the goodies and has been broken in with initial timing at 8 degrees.

The problem:
My plugs are black and fouled (they and the top of the pistons were covered in black soot when I pulled the engine, so same problem but much worse) and the few exhaust leaks I have have unburned fuel coming from them. My eyes burn when I start the car and now not all cylinders are able to fire due to too much gas.

I've adjusted everything that I can but I cannot figure out what would cause so much fuel to be dumped into the car. I wasn't even aware a quadrajet could do this. For giggles I tinkered with EVERY adjustment short of the floats while the engine was running but to no avail.

Solution:
Contrary to a few would say, I'm 90% sure I'm going to get rid of the CCC system. Yes, it is a great system when it works and I know all the benefits but I'm at a dead end with everything. All sensors are connected and working.

Option 1: I really like Quadrajets and have gotten to understand them. I'm thinking about getting a rebuild one from SMI. This will allow me to use the carb on any future engine upgrades and I already have all of the necessary brackets/linkages.
Option 2: Demon Carb's new Street Demon seems tempting to try. My only complaint is that I will not be able to use the parts I've already bought for the linkages.
Option 3: Summit brand 600 carb. I've read good reviews from actual users and am willing to give it a try.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If anyone knows what could be causing my torrential flood of gas any and all suggestions will be attempted.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:51 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: '88 IROC T5 Vert ‘13 Vette
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:08
Re: Quadrajet Extremely Rich - Advice Needed

IMHO, SMI does great work.

I spoke to Sean to order a Quadrajet for my 406, 9.0-1, 212*/218* @ .050" .487"/.495" hyd roller unit for my '79 Corvette.

In short, it works fantastic, with a non-scientific very noticeable seat-of-the-pants improvement, easier starting and smooth secondary transition @ full throttle.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mortorq
IMHO, SMI does great work.

I spoke to Sean to order a Quadrajet for my 406, 9.0-1, 212*/218* @ .050" .487"/.495" hyd roller unit for my '79 Corvette.

In short, it works fantastic, with a non-scientific very noticeable seat-of-the-pants improvement, easier starting and smooth secondary transition @ full throttle.
It's always nice to hear somebody with personal experience from a vendor.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:23 AM

I've done some more research and my symptoms are extremely similar to a stuck float. I'll take the stupid thing apart again and see what's going on.

I'm still looking for alternative opinions on carbs though.