Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Vapor lock or fuel pump issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 84 Trans Am
Engine: 383 Stroker
Transmission: Th350
Vapor lock or fuel pump issue

So let me start out with before the upgrades. Have a 383 stroker with 750cfm holley duel feed single pump and a factory dizzy.

Let me mention that my fuel line runs right by the headers. Yes bad I know. Now when I would hammer it in 1st and go to 2nd the car seems to run out of gass would have to let off throttle and repress in gass pedal it would go. Did the same thing for 2nd into 3rd.

Now after the upgrade I put in a edelbrock torker 2 intake, flame thrower dizzy and a jegs fuel pump to replace the stock. I have a clear fuel filter before the pump so you can see it pumping in. Also by putting in the jegs fuel pump they have no return so i had to plug that so it has into the pump then to the carb.

Ok so getting to the problem I was having yesterday. Went over to a buddies that lives in the city to take him for a ride and it started to act up I would give it just a little gass and it would fall on its face like no gass then it cleared up so we went to a open road and ever time i hit 5grand in third it would fall on its face let go of the gass apply again same thing at 5grand. So we went to his house popped the hood and was watching the fuel filter when running it was just barely keeping enough gass in the filter for it to run. Had him hit the trottle up to 2400 and it didnt seem to pump any faster. I decided to head home and of course it was rush hour. Sitting at a light idleing fine the temp was getting hot like 212 so i was going to go a different way home got in the other lane and feel on its face and shut off would restart once for like a sec. Luckly a cop helped me push it to the side of the road. Opened the hood and the fuel filter was bone dry. Cranked and cranked the motor no fuel coming up. Called up a buddy he told me maybe the carb wasnt calling for fuel. So mean while i'm waiting for a friend to bring me some tools and when he got there the fuel filled up a little bit in the filter. Took off the line from pump to carb and cranked it took a min but fuel started to come out of pump. hooked the line back up and started up. By that time the temp was back down to 172. Made it the rest of the way home.

So what is the deal the fuel lines have been there with no problem like this before but never got that hot and it stays 180 while driving. I'm thinking vapor lock but dont understand why now and not before but at the same time also question the new jegs pump. Btw on the way home 5g in third gear same thing.

Sorry for the long read but what do you guys think?
Old 03-14-2012, 01:25 PM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
I assume you're talking about an engine-mounted mechanical pump, and the clear filter is after the pump and before the carb, correct?

By any chance did your car originally have an in-tank electric pump? Odds are it didn't, but need to know.

Those clear filters don't ever really "fill up". Seems weird, but that's the way it is. They are usually not recommended, either, as many a car has been burnt down because of them.

Pumps actually suck at sucking. Sure sounds like you have a fuel volume delivery issue, with perhaps a little vapor lock thrown in for good measure. A pusher electric pump in or back near the tank would likely solve your problem. You may also have an issue with a clogged pick-up sock filter.

The factory distributor is not doing you any favors, either. You need a vacuum/mechanical distributor unless you're using a factory computer controlled carb with the factory computer controlled distributor.

Oh, no particular love for that Torker II, either. You'd have to have a pretty crappy intake manifold for the Torker II to be an upgrade over it - and I wouldn't include any 3rd gen factory intake manifolds as being crappier than the Torker II.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:53 AM

Re: Vapor lock or fuel pump issue

Originally Posted by five7kid
I assume you're talking about an engine-mounted mechanical pump, and the clear filter is after the pump and before the carb, correct?

By any chance did your car originally have an in-tank electric pump? Odds are it didn't, but need to know.

Those clear filters don't ever really "fill up". Seems weird, but that's the way it is. They are usually not recommended, either, as many a car has been burnt down because of them.

Pumps actually suck at sucking. Sure sounds like you have a fuel volume delivery issue, with perhaps a little vapor lock thrown in for good measure. A pusher electric pump in or back near the tank would likely solve your problem. You may also have an issue with a clogged pick-up sock filter.

The factory distributor is not doing you any favors, either. You need a vacuum/mechanical distributor unless you're using a factory computer controlled carb with the factory computer controlled distributor.

Oh, no particular love for that Torker II, either. You'd have to have a pretty crappy intake manifold for the Torker II to be an upgrade over it - and I wouldn't include any 3rd gen factory intake manifolds as being crappier than the Torker II.
Yes mechanical pump and i have the filter before the pump cause there is no room from the pump to the carb because of the steel line going up to it.

Did have a edel brock performer on it. The builder recommended the torker 2 becuase of it being a 383 better for the low end.

Just got rid of the stock dizzy and put in a flame thrower.

If the pick up sock is clogged I would like to do the braided fuel line from tank to pump. any special pick up i could buy. You know two birds one stone I want braided line plus I need to move that fuel line any way
Old 03-15-2012, 01:56 PM

Missed the part about the distributor change. My bad.

Originally Posted by 84transamdude
Yes mechanical pump and i have the filter before the pump cause there is no room from the pump to the carb because of the steel line going up to it.
Not good. Pumps push better than they suck. The pick-up sock is all you need to protect the pump. The filter is needed to protect the carb. Get that filter moved, whatever it takes. I can't imagine how you could not have enough room for it between the pump and carb.

Did have a edel brock performer on it. The builder recommended the torker 2 becuase of it being a 383 better for the low end.
Your builder is either ignorant, or unteachable. The Torker II is the Edsel of intake manifolds. It has a very poor powerband, doesn't make good power. About the only good thing you can say about it is it will give good hood clearance.

A Performer has a powerband of idle to 5500 RPMs. A Performer RPM has a powerband of 1500-6500 RPMs. The Torker II has a powerband of 2500-6500 RPMs. Which is going to be better for the low end? Unless he's thinking the improved torque from the longer stroke of the 383 needs to be tamed, he's out of his mind.

If the pick up sock is clogged I would like to do the braided fuel line from tank to pump. any special pick up i could buy. You know two birds one stone I want braided line plus I need to move that fuel line any way
The only pickup I'm aware of available new is the EFI in-tank electric pump type.

I can't think of any advantage of having all braided line over hard line.

Having the fuel filter before the pump is a problem. Move the filter and see if your problems go away.

Oh, the Carter M6626 pump has a 120 gph rating, and a return line. Great pump for a street-performance 3rd gen. $25 from Jegs.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:05 AM

I might pick up one of those pumps.

For fuel line what if I run the softer lines. The hard steel line's are a pain to run.

I will try and take a pick of the fuel lines tomorrow to show how close it is to headers and why I cant move the fuel filter unless I move some stuff around.

BTW thanks for your input.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:04 PM

here they are
Attached Thumbnails Vapor lock or fuel pump issue-003.jpg   Vapor lock or fuel pump issue-004.jpg   Vapor lock or fuel pump issue-005.jpg  
Old 03-16-2012, 06:39 PM

Car: 88 camaro
Engine: 355
Transmission: muncie m-20

First, I converted an 88 camaro from an EFI 6 to a carbed 355 and had very similar problem because of the electric pump still in the tank but I think your car should have origonaly been mechanical ?? Second, If you want to run braided line from your tank to your pump an EFI sending unit has a rubber line about a foot long with a fitting that changes to the hard line. You should be able to find a fitting to adapt that fitting to an AN fitting for the braided line. I plan to try this with mine. To convert the sending unit for use with a mechanical pump Just remove the electric pump from the sending unit and replace it with a piece of 3/8 tubing the same length. I use the stock filter to protect the pump and an inline between the pump and carb.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:19 PM

well I ran the new aluminum tubing from the tank to pump. Got braided hose to go from pump to carb. the inline fuel filter i got was to long had to order a new one from jeg and waiting on that. Hopefully be able to fire it back up next week.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:48 PM

well i'm all done.
Attached Thumbnails Vapor lock or fuel pump issue-1.jpg   Vapor lock or fuel pump issue-2.jpg   Vapor lock or fuel pump issue-3.jpg  
Old 04-25-2012, 12:21 PM

Car: 1982 Z-28
Engine: 383
Transmission: Turbo 350
Axle/Gears: Det. Posi, Superior Axles, 3:73 G

Did you get the pump with the return line (It looks like you did in the pic but just wanted confirmation)
Also, I have a mechanical pump from Carter but without the return. It there a way to mount a return? I see some Holley fuel lines with an extra "t" fitting for return..would this work as I am looking for a new fuel line for my Holley 650DP.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:29 PM

The return has to be built into the pump.

A "T" in the fuel line can't be used unless you have a means of maintaining pressure to the carb inlets. A relief valve in the return line could be used, but its set point would have to be below the pump outlet pressure or nothing will go through the check valve.