Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

High Idle adjustment Screw---any pictures of it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 12:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: LS1383 in work
Transmission: Magnum F
Axle/Gears: Zexel Torsen 3.73, 28-spline mosers
High Idle adjustment Screw---any pictures of it?

Hey guys,

I want to adjust my high idle down on my 84 CC Qjet. It currently idles around 2700 on high idle. First kick down brings it down to around 2400. I'd like to adjust it down to around 2000-2200 ish for the high idle. I have tried following the descriptions of the adjustment screw, but I just can't find it. does anyone have an actual picture of the screw?

Also, I push the acellerator twice to set the idle, crank the car over and start it. Runs to high idle just fine but it won't come off the idle on it's own. I actually have to kick it down. Should it come down on it's own or is it supposed to stay up until I kick it down?
Old 04-16-2011, 06:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: High Idle adjustment Screw---any pictures of it?

It stays high until you press the gas, which "unloads" the linkage and allows it to drop down to progressively lower steps on the fast idle cam, and eventually down to the curb idle screw on the other side of the carb.

When the engine is cold, step on the gas to allow the choke to close and the fast idle cam/screw to set up. Front in front of the engine look underneath the choke linkage between the choke housing and the main body of the carb (pass side of the carb). You will see a smallish hex head bolt/screw with a screwdriver slot (regular, phillips or sometimes torx) machined into it's face. That's it.

Adjustment is fairly quick. A 1/4 turn makes a pretty big difference in fast idle speed.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:04 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Damon
It stays high until you press the gas, which "unloads" the linkage and allows it to drop down to progressively lower steps on the fast idle cam, and eventually down to the curb idle screw on the other side of the carb.

When the engine is cold, step on the gas to allow the choke to close and the fast idle cam/screw to set up. Front in front of the engine look underneath the choke linkage between the choke housing and the main body of the carb (pass side of the carb). You will see a smallish hex head bolt/screw with a screwdriver slot (regular, phillips or sometimes torx) machined into it's face. That's it.

Adjustment is fairly quick. A 1/4 turn makes a pretty big difference in fast idle speed.
Thanks! It doesn't progressively step down, it'll drop the one time, then it won't drop again no matter how many time I try until it's warm enough to drop down to curb idle. But that's cool, I just wanted to make sure something wasn't messed up on it. Now I know. I do seem to recall my first car, a 85 Mazda with a carb that I had to kick down to take it off high idle as well.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozz1967
Thanks! It doesn't progressively step down, it'll drop the one time, then it won't drop again no matter how many time I try until it's warm enough to drop down to curb idle. But that's cool, I just wanted to make sure something wasn't messed up on it. Now I know. I do seem to recall my first car, a 85 Mazda with a carb that I had to kick down to take it off high idle as well.
In operation, I've only ever noticed 2 steps on the fast idle cam. There's the 'super fast idle' when you first start the car when it's stone cold, then just the regular 'fast idle'. After that it goes to your curb idle.

You can immediately kick it down from 'super fast idle' to 'fast idle' at anytime. It will however stay on 'fast idle' untill the choke springs heats up enough to allow you to drop it down to curb idle.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:33 AM
Supreme Member

Thanks, I figured it was working "right" but I wasn't sure if there was something I was missing on it or didn't have set up right. Thanks again for all your help!
Old 12-21-2019, 01:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 89 IrocZ
Engine: L98-ish
Transmission: 700R4

Wrong post