Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

help with speaker wire in IFR's

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 85 Camaro
Engine: 350
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
help with speaker wire in IFR's

Am I trying to put the speaker wire in the right place?

I'm trying to put it in the tiny holes that are circled. The wire only wants to go in like 1/16", I can't be sure that it it going to stay in there while I put the carb back together.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Attached Thumbnails help with speaker wire in IFR's-ifr1.jpg  

Last edited by Alminate; 09-05-2010 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:51 AM

Car: 1990 IROC
Engine: Rebuilt L98 with H/C/I/Carb
Transmission: TH350 with ATI Treemaster
Axle/Gears: 7.5 with 4.10's
Re: help with speaker wire in IFR's

That's the right spot. Make the wire about 4 inches long. Insert it in the holes and run the extra straight down and the let the gasket hold it in place. When you put the fuel bowl back on, the extra wire should be sticking out.

I did not have much luck with this test on my Demon carb. I ended up screwing in new IFR's with a real small hole and slowly worked my way up in size. Hopefully you will have better luck!
Old 09-04-2010, 01:00 PM

While trying to put the wires in, I noticed that one of the ifr’s is drilled right though to the jet side of the metering block. Is this typical? It is on the primary side.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

They both should be. The idle circuits get their fuel through the main jets, just like the main circuits do. The difference is that the jets present no restriction to the idle circuits since they are so much larger than the various rectrictions in the idle circuits.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:33 AM

Here's a couple pics, it seems odd to me that one of the IFR's is drilled right through the block, but the other 3 are not?

As you can see, no trouble getting the wire through that one!

Thanks for any help!
Attached Thumbnails help with speaker wire in IFR's-metering-block-pri-jet   help with speaker wire in IFR's-metering-block-pri-close  
Old 09-06-2010, 08:48 AM
Supreme Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh, that's wacky looking. The idle circuits should be pulling from the main fuel well, just behind the jets. If you stick a wire through the hole that comes into that litle space from the side you should see it come out behind the jet (remove the jet so you can see it easily). That's what I meant by the hole going all the way through, although as I read my own post it's pretty confusing. That's the ONLY place fuel is supposed to be drawn from to get to the idle circuits that I'm aware of.

I don't recall ever seeing an IFR drilled all the way though the metering block! It only needs to be deep enough to intersect with a vertical passage inside the metering block that carries it up to the emulsion tube/chamber.

In any case, the fuel circuits are basically always mirror images of eachother. If it's done one way on one side, it should be identical on the other side of the metering block.

You might have a defective metering block there. I'd contact the manufacturer and have your pictures ready to email to them.