Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Need a vacuum source

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 RS Camaro
Engine: 400 Smallblock
Need a vacuum source

I need to find a place to run the HVAC controls off of so can I get vacuum from either of the 2 outlets on the front of my carb? One is a ported vacuum outlet and the other is for the PCV valve and is pretty huge. Although its unrelated to carbs, if I can't use any of the above sources could I put a two way splitter in the vacuum hose that goes from the intake manifold to the brake booster? Or would that cause me to go screaming into a tree...
Attached Thumbnails Need a vacuum source-carb-fittings-front.jpg   Need a vacuum source-brake-vacuum-hose.jpg  
Old 08-05-2010, 10:58 PM

Car: 1991 RS Camaro
Engine: 400 Smallblock
Re: Need a vacuum source

I believe I may have found the answers to my own questions, but I'll post what I figured out just to make this a worthwhile post in case anybody else has a similar issue.

The ported vacuum output won't work very well for something that needs a vacuum supply at idle because it sees no vacuum at idle. I'm not sure about the PCV output but it doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I found a picture of another car that had a tee screwed directly into the intake manifold that split the vacuum two-ways, between the brake booster and the check valve that supplies vacuum to the HVAC controls and the vacuum resevoir ball thats under the drivers side fender. Heres the parts I found on Summit, first is the tee that screws in and second is the straight pieces that screw into the tee that allow you to hook a vacuum hose to it. Stainless steel ones are kinda pricey though.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRS-1042/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRS-1044/
Old 08-05-2010, 11:53 PM

Go to the boneyard and get the vacuum port piece from the rear of the intake on any Olds 307. They have 2 'outlets' on them and would just replace the single outlet of the one in your pic. I assume the threading is the same.

Alternately, run a cheap plastic vacuum T and you should be fine.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:24 AM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

You'll also need a vacuum canister for the HVAC controls. Your 3rd gen came with one, it's a plastic 'orb', it's located under the driver side headlight - you have to get at it from under the car, taking the plastic cover off. You want to T off the intake vacuum source, with a line that runs to the 'orb' with a check valve, and another line that runs to the HVAC controls. That way, when there's low vacuum, the HVAC controls still operate using the vacuum 'stored' in the orb.