Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Holley Street Avenger Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 2004 Impala
Engine: v6
Holley Street Avenger Help

I have posted on this but wanted to post a little more. I bought a holley street avenger for mt 1957 truck, which has a 1978 350 v8 engine in it from a camaro. it has a 350 turbo tranny in it, and when I bought the carb from jegs.com they had advised me that the carb was flow tested and ready to go out of the box. when I put the carb on it idled great, but when I stepped on the gas it flooded the card, I did some adjusting and when I put it on , it idled great but when I stepped on the gas this time it died from lack of fuel.
the carb is a 550cfm and I was told from a previou post that this could be to small of a carb. am I able to have this jetted out to the right size that I need? does the carb need to have other parts replaced or adjusted on it? or do I have to ebay this thing out and get a bigger cfm carb? and if so is the holey street avenger carb a good brand?
Old 02-28-2010, 02:53 AM

Car: 1989 Camaro Rs
Engine: 305 tbi
Transmission: 700r4
Re: Holley Street Avenger Help

What did you adjust on the carb??? The float level???

IMO the carb is not drastically undersized for that motor if its stock.

I'm not a holley fan myself--I'd ebay it and buy an edelbrock but I think its just out of adjustment.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:26 PM

Car: 1989 RS
Engine: 350 c.i., carbureted
Transmission: th700r/4

I'd definitely double check your adjustments. The carb may be a LITTLE small but not so much that it should cause anything like this. When you adjust the floats do you do it with the engine running and with the sight plugs?

When I got both of my Street Avenger 670 carbs, they both needed a good amount of float adjustment. And the idle mixture screws were a bit off.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:00 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS/Z28
Engine: 357 Edelbrock Intake & Holley Carb
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: whatever stock is

Definitely check your float adjustments, but as far as your carb being too small for the engine...it is. However, that doesn't mean that you shouldn't be able to get it to run right. The only thing that too small for the engine means is that in the higher RPMs you fall on your face because the carb can't flow enough fuel. But you should still be able to drive with that carburetor just fine once you get it adjusted right for your engine. I'm still working on the adjustments for mine.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Whatever modest tuning might be required to optimize that carb to your engine doesn't explain the severe symptoms you are experiencing.

Most bogs are lean bogs- lack of adequate accelerator pump shot being very common with the Eddy carbs.

Check float levels first. Then the first mod I do to ANY Edelbrock carb is move the accelerator pump linkage to the hole on the arm closest to the fulcrum (maximum pump shot).