Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

engine randomly dies and WILL NOT start back up

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 10:08 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1986 Trans am
Engine: 5.3 LM7
Transmission: T56 6 speed
Axle/Gears: Dana 44 w/ 3.55's
engine randomly dies and WILL NOT start back up

I have been fighting a losing battle with this car for 3 long years and have had no luck. I actually was forced to buy a brand new mustang GT too, because I couldn't sell the TA, but it wouldn't run for me either, and I am getting very sick of having no car for shows.

It's at the point where I feel closer than ever but now I have a new problem. Car starts right up when cold. Runs perfect and gets to about 210 degrees. It will idle in my driveway for HOURS and run beautifully. I can rev it in neutral and it responds great. Now when I take it for a ride and it's under load, it feels like it's got a very slight miss at lower RPM's. If I floor it, it sputters and feels like it has no power. Sometimes, I floor it and the tach goes crazy, going to 0 RPM's and then coming back on a few times and then it just cuts out dead, and WILL NOT fire back up. It doesn't even pop or anything while cranking it. I can see fuel spitting from the carb when pushing the throttle, so it is getting gas. It almost seems electrical, but it's odd because it's a carb motor, and theres nothing electrical besides the dizzy!?!?!?! It has a fresh battery and the alt is at about 15 volts at idle. I am really stumped on this one and hopefully someone can shed some light.

Read my sig for motor. Has an edelbrock 600CFM vac sec carb now and an MSD streetfighter dizzy. I have played with timing from 10 degrees base to about 18 degrees base and it never changes the sputtering or lack of power.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: engine randomly dies and WILL NOT start back up

mines doing the same thing and ive traced most of it to the carb itself and it get worse when the tanks almost empty
Old 05-07-2009, 11:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1986 Trans am
Engine: 5.3 LM7
Transmission: T56 6 speed
Axle/Gears: Dana 44 w/ 3.55's

Yea mine does it all the time. Doesn't matter how much gas I have, but I'm sure it's not the carb. I was told it is most likely an ignition module, but the distributer is a brand new MSD. . . .anyone else heard of a module causing those symptoms?
Old 06-01-2009, 04:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 Chevy Camaro Iroc-Z
Engine: L98 B2L 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4 auto
Axle/Gears: 2.77

might want to check your coil as well as all the plug wires, you might have a spark leak and it may not complete the spark to the plug causing it to run like shyt. that is where i would be looking at.