Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

converting quadrajet to fuel injection

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
converting quadrajet to fuel injection

So, I just got an 84 camaro with a quadrajet carb and I was wondring if it was practical to convert a carbed engin to fuel injection. I couldn't find the answers I was looking for on google, so I figured I'd post here. Does anyone make a kit? and would get better gas milage than just trying to keep it out of the back barrels? I have about 1800 to spend on the car and I wanted to make it more efficiant and reliable. Could I convert it on such a limited budget?
Old 04-02-2009, 11:46 AM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Welcome aboard thirdgen.org.

Which carb engine do you have? The 8th character of the VIN will at least tell you which it was from the factory - "H" is the base V8 LG4, "G" is the higher performance L69. Doesn't make a lot of difference, but will help a little to know which you have.

There are stand-alone aftermarket EFI kits, but they all run more than $2k, at least the ones of which I'm aware.

The other choice is to find a 3rd gen that has EFI from the factory and put it in/on your car. That you could easily do for $1800.

Can we assume this is not a Canadian car? If we can, then you have a computer-controlled carburetor and distributor, along with a few other emissions items. Believe it or not, this is a great system; for economy, reliability, and power. As always, keeping your foot out of it is the #1 fuel economy improvement measure you can take. Right behind that is proper maintenance - unless you know the spark plugs, wires, cap & rotor, and O2 sensor have recently been replaced, do that first. Air filter and fuel filter as well. Then lubricants - oil & filter change, transmission fluid & filter change (often neglected), differential lube change (almost always neglected) with quality products (I'm a big fan of Group 4 synthetic lubes).

Finally, the exhaust is important for both power and economy. The L69 system is pretty good from the factory, just needs to be in good condition. The LG4 system is more restrictive, but a free flowing aftermarket cat is all you need to change if fuel economy is your primary concern.

I've been running this system since 1999. It has never failed to start nor left me on the side of the road. I've gone to a little less efficient engine (click on the link at the bottom of this post for details), but I still averaged 23.5 mpg last week on the highway and interstate (going west, to a higher altitude, with a prevailing westerly wind). There is a recent thread asking people about their carb'd engine gas mileage, and mid- to high-20's highway is not uncommon.

All I'm saying is don't give up on the factory carb system before you fully understand it.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 84 Z28
Engine: 305 HO
Transmission: 700R4 I believe, but not sure
Re: converting quadrajet to fuel injection

Greta response five7kid. I was going to ditch my carb setup, which is the exact same as yours, but I think I'll tinker with it some more and maybe see if I can make great strides with it
Old 10-14-2010, 12:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Reikat
So, I just got an 84 camaro with a quadrajet carb and I was wondring if it was practical to convert a carbed engin to fuel injection. I couldn't find the answers I was looking for on google, so I figured I'd post here. Does anyone make a kit? and would get better gas milage than just trying to keep it out of the back barrels? I have about 1800 to spend on the car and I wanted to make it more efficiant and reliable. Could I convert it on such a limited budget?

Yes. It can be done. Call me and we can discuss your options. 201-258-5600

I can do a throttle body with injectors for under $1000 and we can put together a TUNED 7747 ECU that can work for probably under $500.

Here's a picture of a complete conversion kit...without the ECU.

BTW, all 100% American made, no cheap chinese crap here.

This includes EVERYTHING including the fuel pump, gaskets, etc... We have them in Vortec and standard 23 degree. If you don't like the in tank pump, I can do an external for no additional money.

I typically sell these for $1950, but if your budget is $1800, I'll do that with a custom tune included. You'll have to get the ECU, which should be about $50.

In either scenerio you'll need a wiring harness.

Last edited by InjectorsPlus; 10-14-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 K3500 Fleetside
Engine: RAT *tbi* EBL
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: 3.73-Dana 60

I kinda like the way you are presenting your products John...

Rob's ECU is a great way to run the compilation.

That one seems a little pushy.. like advertising...
The guy's first post here...

Now,..my current set up really needs those improved #231's..a few of us are really on the edge of our seats.

For the OP: don't give up on your Q-jet,.. EFI will not be a cheap/easy fix.
Yes, my preferred option, but not for you unless you are truely prepared for the change.

Last edited by xch3no2; 10-14-2010 at 09:44 PM.