Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Rochester E4ME question

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 85 Z28 Camaro
Engine: 305 V8 4bbl
Rochester E4ME question

Hi...another newbie....with the utmost respect for you all- as I've been reading your forum for as long as I've had my Camaro...I need some help....Question: Is an 85 E4ME Rochester model 64-70087 same as an 88 E4ME but model 17088204, 1463 FRB??? Seems there are more places for vacuum lines to hook to the 88, and the M/C solenoid isnt sitting in its little insert thing like in the old one......The latter was installed in my 85 Z28--it just doesnt seem like it BELONGS! Problems that started after it was put on include incorect mixture WAY too rich, POOR (for lack of a better word) MILEAGE - 3 or 4 mpg (serious); strong gas smell - inside driver compartment, by vapor canister? , around carb itself; black smoke from tailpipes; Check engine light and choke light are both on....only code is 41, w/x1 ref. to 32 - EGR failure...but NEW egr, NEW O2 sensor, NEW vac hoses, NEW plugs & wires...etc. Its never had a Baro sensor - passed CA smog 2 yrs ago....I know my timing is WAY retarded too, but I keep being told it CANT BE TIMED until everything ELSE is right! (Is this TRUE?) ANd, any suggesions? Please?
Old 05-25-2008, 02:28 PM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Welcome aboard thirdgen.org.

First, set the timing properly (disconnect the flat 4-wire connector going from the base of the distributor to the firewall harness, start the engine set timing, shut off engine, reconnect connector). Until that is right, no other tuning steps will be right.

Your carb numbers don't quite make sense, especially the first carb #. Are you sure you got all of the digits correct on the 2nd one? Perhaps that 2nd "8" is a "3".

Does the mixture control solenoid click when you turn the ignition on without starting the engine? It should sit there and cycle for about 15-30 seconds (or until the engine starts, whichever comes first).

Are you sure you have a E4ME carb? It has both the MCS and TPS connector, correct? Since you said the MCS connector looks different, I suspect it isn't an MCS, that's why I'm asking.

Oh, Code 41 means the ECM isn't seeing the engine speed (distributor connector mentioned above). That may have something to do with your issues as well.

And, there isn't an EGR "sensor" - there is a solenoid, which is controlled by the ECM.
Old 05-25-2008, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 85 Z28 Camaro
Engine: 305 V8 4bbl
Re: Rochester E4ME question

THANK YOU!!! I have argued the timing issue with every GUY that has tried to help "poor little me"(cause I'm a girl?)....The manuals make it confusing to time...like, why would I need to hook up a Dwell AND timing light to time it if I have an HEI/no points??? I won't tell you how LONG I've been driving around with a shiny new timing light in the car, SMILING as I hold it for every mechanic I meet!!! The carb #s - the 1st #64-70087 is a Holly reman but found it NEW on Kragen site referencing the same# for an 85 V8 5.0 vin H...just double checked the 2nd #, and you were right-it was a 3...17083204...the 1st has 1 outlet on rear...the 2nd has 2. 1 marked V on driver side, 1 marked N on passenger side. This puzzles as I have no clue where an additional line should go! Do all the letters where vacuum connects(As seen in the Vac diagrams) MEAN something? And yes, I'm positive it's an E4ME...has MSC and TPS---the MCS looks weird only because the little 'insert' (a black plastic cup) that SHOULD be under it is not...someone on this site talked about it somewhere in Carb forum. And the click-click always does its thing..in fact, the guy who changed my carb told me that 'click' was my electric fuel pump working?! I ended up changing out my MECHANICAL pump when I had fuel leaking into the engine. Do I have another inside the tank? And the code 41? Chilton and Haynes both said something COMPLETELY different then engine speed!! But, guess who I believe? YOU!! I will take my timing light to my brother and show him what you said (after I hit him on the head with it) maybe THEN he'll do it for me? Thank you again for your help five7kid!!!

One more thing- what would be the correct way to check wires on my sensors that look all stretched and wore out where they plug in to the sensors? A volt meter?

I appreciate your help and will post when I get a few things done on it - AFTER the timing! Thx again!! Heidi : )
Old 05-25-2008, 04:45 PM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Some years used a port on the top rear of the carb as a fresh air source for the EGR solenoid (basically an air leak - the solenoid would close, stopping the leak, and opening the EGR valve). I know my '82 did, and '86 didn't, not sure when they changed. If your '85 doesn't, just cap that port. Use the vacuum diagram for the '85, and cap anything not needed.

Only L69 and '87 LG4 models came with an in-tank electric pump (along with the mechanical on the engine). You can tell what yours was by the 8th character of the VIN - "G" = L69, "H" = LG4. Some cars had the electric installed by the dealer if the owner complained about vapor lock problems. Most likely, if your VIN is an "H", you don't have an electric fuel pump.

Replacing the mechanical pump when you have fuel leaking into the oil would be the first thing I'd recommend.

I got my trouble code information from the thirdgen.org homepage, Tech FAQ link.