Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Needle and seat or gremlins....?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 12:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '83 Berlinetta
Engine: 383 CI
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73, Eibachs, Tokiko Illuminas,
Needle and seat or gremlins....?

OK, so my car's still been running a little rich so I backed it into the garage to try the 58 jets I got today. After reassembly the car wouldn't start. After a few attempts I noticed that I wasn't hearing the fuel pump. I disconnected the fuel line, put it in a container and cranked - no fuel.

After some head scratching and probing with a test light I began to suspect the pump relay. I did some searching on this site (wasn't sure if the pump ran on 12v) and jumped the connection. Voila! a nice puddle in my container. OK, so whack the relay a couple of times, plugged it back into its socket and sure enough the pump is energised and I'm getting flow. Reattached the fuel line and the car starts but sputters out after a minute...and the back of the carb is all wet.

Hmmm. Maybe I missed the little 'O' ring on the transfer tube when I put the float bowl back on? Nope, on disassembly 'O' ring is nicely seated. Start the car again and run around to the see what's going on and fuel is flooding out of the secondary boosters. Had a quick look at the float adjuster but it's set pretty low. At this point I decided I'd better wait till tomorrow when I have a cooler head before doing anything else.

I figure that either the secondary float is stuck or the fuel pump is over powering a worn needle and seat...except that the car was running perfectly well until I removed the primary float bowl!

Am I headed in the right direction? Other ideas?

Thanks,
Jon

JSD MOD May 14 08
Old 05-14-2008, 06:37 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: SLOW carbed ls
Transmission: TH400 with brake, 8" PTC converter
Axle/Gears: moser 9" 4.11
Re: Needle and seat or gremlins....?

i'd be raising the float to the proper level first. what is your fuel pressure set at?
Old 05-14-2008, 07:53 AM

I don't have a fuel pressure gauge on the line but I've been running this carb and fuel pump together for three years without this sort of trouble. So I don't think that it's an issue with the pump. As for the float, to my understanding, this might happen if it were too high but not too low (correct me if I'm wrong). I figure I'll set that right once there isn't fuel spewing all over the place.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:01 AM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
I assume you're talking about a Holley carb and stock in-tank electric pump.

Without a regulator, a stock in-tank electric pump will overwhelm Holley needle & seat. If you've been getting by, that's more luck than plan.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:22 AM

Yes it's a Holley but the pump is an aftermarket job bolted to the floor behind the rear seats. I'm on my lunch break now so I'll remove the rear bowl in a few minutes and see if the float is sticking. If that doesn't yield results I'll pick up a gauge and see just what pressure the pump is putting out. Could I have 'Tim Taylored' the pump by jumping relay?lol
Thanks,
Jon
Old 05-15-2008, 08:40 AM

Well, I removed the rear fuel bowl, looked at it, put it back on and everything is back to normal. I guess the float had been a bit stuck?? As always, thanks to the contributers on this thread.
J