Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

backfire / hard start

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: 350 ci Carb
Transmission: 5speed
backfire / hard start

so this 87 formula has developed another issue. it seems hard to start when its at normal operating temperature...then when it does start it tends to backfire through the quadrajunk carb when cranking, then it idles fine, but looses power when you give it gas. im thinking either a timing issue (slightly out), or a inline fuel filter. thoughts???????
Old 01-20-2008, 04:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
Re: backfire / hard start

Check the ignition first. Backfiring is usually a spark issue, not a fuel issue. Double check plug wires are in proper firing order. Make sure all plug wires are fully on cap and plugs (I had one that would slip itself off and had to be crimped a tad to stay on). Check continuity on all wires - even brand new out of the box wires have breaks in them. And check timing as well.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:12 PM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Thought #1 - get over the "quadrajunk" thing. The #1 problem with quadrajets is the loose nut behind the wrench.

Hard to imagine the fuel filter causing a starting problem. Typically cause problems under power before anything else.

Is the SES light coming on? When was the last tune-up (spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor)? How many miles on the car? Is the choke operating properly (see sticky about the E4ME in the top section of this forum)? Any modifications made to the engine, such as "smog junk" removed?

Sorry I don't recall off the top of my head what your earlier issue(s) was (were).
Old 01-20-2008, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by five7kid
Thought #1 - get over the "quadrajunk" thing. The #1 problem with quadrajets is the loose nut behind the wrench.

Hard to imagine the fuel filter causing a starting problem. Typically cause problems under power before anything else.

Is the SES light coming on? When was the last tune-up (spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor)? How many miles on the car? Is the choke operating properly (see sticky about the E4ME in the top section of this forum)? Any modifications made to the engine, such as "smog junk" removed?

Sorry I don't recall off the top of my head what your earlier issue(s) was (were).
lol yea i know, quadras run good when they're done right, but most of the time they're not. the SES light is not on, motor has 46,000 origonal miles on it. not sure if the choke is working right on it, looking into that, cuz i knwo that could be a cause, also looking into the wire situation. car is not at my house yet, im supposed ot pick it up on tuesday, but hes asking for time to get that issue worked out. seems to start fine when its cold, and idle well, but looses power under acceleration, and continues to run even when its warm, just wont start too easy. everything is factory origonal, no mods at all on this one....yet. the only other issues ive heard about is its loosing oil pressure when tis warm, but its only dropping to like 10-15 lbs, goes right back up under acceleration, but also needed a oil change, not sure fi that problem has been resolved, but not too worried about it either, being that its still holding some amount of pressure in the engine.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:27 PM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Originally Posted by BlackFormula
quadras run good when they're done right, but most of the time they're not...
First, I'd take exception to that statement, and even if you replace "most" with "some", I've already given the reason for that.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:32 PM

lol true. and this is suposed to be a reman carb (paperwork for the buy). so i dunno, ill find out what his guy says tomorrow, and when it gets here ill be able to check it out. the more i think about it, the more i think it might be a stuck choke, beign that he already had to replace the electric choke wire once....
Old 02-05-2008, 01:43 PM

Car: 1985 Camaro Sport coupe
Engine: GM Crate 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Stock, 3.23

When I had a Trans-Am years ago, it did the same thing when the Cat-Converter went bad. Check to see if you got any exhaust flow from the pipes. A bad Cat will cause high back pressure and that exhaust will go where it can, even back thought the carb.
Worth checking IMHO...
Old 02-05-2008, 02:18 PM

so i punched out the cat yesterday, seems to run better, also had a plug wire that was missing about 1/2 inch length of covering on it. i havent really had any issues except for a hard start now and then, and every once ina while it would desiel a little bit, i made some adjustments in the last two days, so we'll see how it does