Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

TBI to Carb (Need some help from someone that has done the swap)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TBI to Carb (Need some help from someone that has done the swap)

I have everything to do the swap i just need to figured out the lines, i will be bending them my self, heres what i have that concern the fueling aspect, i have a eldbrok 1400 model carb, Mallory 4309, and the stock TBI lines 3/8 & 5/16, my question is what size lines will i need or can i use to hook everything up? i have no idea, any help would be great!
Old 05-26-2007, 08:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
Re: TBI to Carb (Need some help from someone that has done the swap)

I just used fittings from Autozone, run the return line into the bottom of the 4309, run the feed line into the side of the 4309, and run another feed line out of side of 4309 to the carb, maybe with a pressure guage and filter inline. I just used rubber fuel line hose and fittings for all this. Edelbrock does have fancy chrome fuel line available seperate - I saw it at Pep Boys once - you could get this and just run rubber from 4309 to the chrome part, with guage and filter inline.

You'll also need the banjo fuel fitting for the carb - the air cleaner housing won't fit over the standard straight fitting.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 Chevy Camaro Iroc-Z
Engine: L98 B2L 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4 auto
Axle/Gears: 2.77

i used the same parts as you, just bought the steel lines for the fuel lines and bent them back the same place (behide the alt.) and place the return line on the return side of the pressure reg., on one of the ports i place a mallory liquid pressure guage into it. now as far as going to the carb, i used a braided fuel line from the press. reg to the carb. simple to make it easier. i set my pressure at 6psi. but it didnt last long, after installing my torq. convert. lock switch i trashed the transmission because the transmission had to many miles. Now i have a IROC with a tpi engine and im gonna yank the 700r and put it in my other camaro with the carb since im swaping the trans for a T56. then im gonna sell the other camaro
Old 06-12-2007, 10:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Parts4sale
I have everything to do the swap i just need to figured out the lines, i will be bending them my self, heres what i have that concern the fueling aspect, i have a eldbrok 1400 model carb, Mallory 4309, and the stock TBI lines 3/8 & 5/16, my question is what size lines will i need or can i use to hook everything up? i have no idea, any help would be great!

In addition to what everyone else said, you should be able to use the stock lines. I'm assuming that you already have a new pickup in the tank right? With the stock body fuel lines, you can use a Purolator 4-6 PSI electric fuel pump. It's kind of noisy, but it's an excellent pump... and it's not too hard to properly isolate it. (mount it as close to the tank as possible). You can then use a regular LG4 mechanical fuel pump and that will properly regulate the fuel you'll need for your motor. (you'll also be able to use the fuel return line as well).

The electric purolator fuel pump will help keep the line pressurized for quick starts, etc. Those pumps are very inexpensive... something like $30-35 bucks. They are made by Purolator, but they are sold under various different names.

I have one of these currently providing the fuel for my 73 VW Bus (completely removed the mechanical pump on the Bus). I also used to use one of these on my 76 Camaro LT-350, ALSO with a 1400 series Edelbrock carb. It did run a bit rich on the Camaro, but I didn't really care back then since gas was under $1.90. But, that's why I suggest the mechanical pump.

I'd also recommend getting the electric choke for your Edelbrock if you don't already have a 1406. (I wired it into the same switched power as my coil).