Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Proform Body - Fast Idle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 09:21 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '83 Z28, '07 Charger SRT8
Engine: 454ci, 6.1 Hemi
Transmission: TH350, A5
Axle/Gears: 2.73 posi, 3.06 posi
Proform Body - Fast Idle?

I just had a thought tonight... I have a 650 double pumper (4777) that I'll be using on the Camaro in the spring, and I was considering the Proform mainbody for it. This main body has no choke horn, and choke linkage provisions.

Since I would like to drive the car on the street as well as the strip (although retired from daily driver status) the no-choke carb might be a bit of a pain. But I think I might have thought of a way around that, and wanted your input on this idea.

The idea is this: use an electric solenoid to hold the throttle open when the engine is cold.. a fast idle system. I know lots of Holleys came with this exact setup in the late '60s and '70s on cars that were equipped with AC. I checked Holley's website, and they still have the bracket and solenoid to do this, and its electric, so it could easily be switch-activated.

My question is - are these solenoids adjustable, as far as how much they will open the throttle? I realize they were originally designed only to boost the idle speed a little bit to compensate for the load of the AC system, but can they be adjusted to hold a 1200 or 1500rpm fast idle?