Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Dual snorkel air cleaner vs. PCV???

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006 | 10:49 AM

Car: 86 T/A
Engine: ZZ383
Transmission: TH700R4 Raptor
Axle/Gears: 2,7x -> 3.00 or 3.50
Dual snorkel air cleaner vs. PCV???

When I bought my 1986 Transam it had K&N aircleaner. On the valce cover on the passenger site is a PCV connected to the carb. I bought a OEM dual snorkel air cleaner from a Camaro wich I plan on using. On the passenger site of the aircleaner is a place for a hose. I have seen it on a pictures its connected to the same place is the small PCV is. So is there another type of PCV at that place?

Thanks, Jon H.

P.s. I know its not a carburator question but I think this is as close to the subject as I can get.
Old 10-15-2006 | 02:30 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
PCV should be connected to the carb. The hole on the air cleaner is for the thermac sensor - it's a sensor that checks incoming air temps - when the air temps are cold, the sensor sends vacuum to the thermac switch, located on the driver side snorkel - which opens a valve in the snorkel allowing warm air from the headers or exhaust manifolds to enter the snorkel through the 'stove pipe' that extends off the header/manifold. This allows the car to run better (warmer air into carb) until it warms up on it's own.

If you don't have that 'stove pipe' running off the header/manifold, there's no need for the thermac sensor - plug the hole in the air cleaner. If you want it, there are replacement 'stove pipes' available at Autozone/Advance to connect to the bottom of the driver snorkel, and you can grab the thermac wiring/vacuum lines off another 3rd gen at the boneyard.

There is a real name for that 'stove pipe' - but it doesn't come to mind at the moment. Just look under the hood of another 3rd gen (not modded) to see it and how it works.

If it were me, I'd keep the K&N myself - I've been wanting one but too cheap to buy it at the moment lol.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-15-2006 | 03:02 PM
25 Year Member

Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's
Nonni, I've always undertood that the dual snorkel and its associated equipment--scoops and ducts--won't fit under the hood of a TA. Will the air box itself fit?

JamesC
Old 10-15-2006 | 04:34 PM

camaronewbie, are you sure its supposed to be connected that way? I saw once in a old Impala there was a hose from the pass side valve cover to a similar opening on the air cleaner box but the PCV was on the other side. I hope you are correct because then I dont have to worry about it

JamesC, there is no problem in fitting the box and I have put the hose and snorkels (aftermarket) on (not bolted them on though) and I dont see any problem.

I bought this dual snorkel setup for two reasons, first there is so much heat inside the engine compartment and second for looks. I want the engine compartment to look like its stock (for those that dont know anything about our cars) even though everything is far from stock.
Old 10-15-2006 | 05:27 PM
25 Year Member

Originally Posted by Nonni
camaronewbie, are you sure its supposed to be connected that way? I saw once in a old Impala there was a hose from the pass side valve cover to a similar opening on the air cleaner box but the PCV was on the other side. I hope you are correct because then I dont have to worry about it

JamesC, there is no problem in fitting the box and I have put the hose and snorkels (aftermarket) on (not bolted them on though) and I dont see any problem.

I bought this dual snorkel setup for two reasons, first there is so much heat inside the engine compartment and second for looks. I want the engine compartment to look like its stock (for those that dont know anything about our cars) even though everything is far from stock.
Camaronewbie is correct about the heat stove (I have a complete set-up that I ran for a while). By the way, check the vac motors on both snorkels. Have you attempted to close the hood? The Camaro gets air from above the headlights. Will your car do the same--I'm asking because I was lead to believe that HO Pontiacs were equipped with a cowl hood because the L69 dual snorkel wouldn't fit. Correct me if I'm wrong.

JamesC

Last edited by JamesC; 10-15-2006 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-15-2006 | 09:50 PM

Car: 1984 Z28 Hardtop
Engine: 383 Carb
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44
The hose on the passenger side of the air cleaner is for the crankcase breather vent, part of the PCV system. It goes to the passenger side valve cover.
Old 10-16-2006 | 12:48 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1982 Trans-Am
Engine: 355 w/ ported 416s
Transmission: T10, hurst shifter
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, true-trac, 3.73
Nonni, you understand how PCV works?

-> Air intake on one valve cover (usually passenger) - Sometimes this is a breather, sometimes it's connected to your air cleaner, which you now can do.

->Air goes through the crank case, and is pullout out of the crank case on the other valve cover, through the PCV valve (plugged in the valve cover), through a tube, into the carb.

So the carb pulls air from one valve cover, which pulls air from the crank case, which pulls in fresh air from the other side. Understand?
So you need both sides.
Old 10-16-2006 | 04:50 AM

Yes, I have closed the hood without problems, I have Torker intake, that might be lower than the original.

Yes I know how the PCV works, on my cars it has been PCV on passenger side but breather on the driver side (well one had breather on both sides when I bought it but I changed that) untill now. I want it to look stock-ish so I will connect it to the air cleaner.
Old 10-16-2006 | 06:04 AM
25 Year Member

Originally Posted by Nonni
Yes, I have closed the hood without problems, I have Torker intake, that might be lower than the original.
Interesting. Thanks for the imput.

JamesC