Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Superchargers

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 09:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Superchargers

My buddy was telling me that they make really cheap superchragers for carb guys....all i want is just a small one, one that gets more of an aww effect rather than HUGE horsepower......how much can they be had for, and where can I get them...can you get a small one for under 1500???also i got a 90 vette engien with aluminem heads, would i have to do anything to do the heads or anything to make a supercharger work??
Old 12-15-2004, 10:01 PM
Supreme Member

i was lookin, i think i want something like a wieand 144 i believe it is or a 174 or something....how much HP increase do those offer?? also will they work with my heads or will i have to change those also???
Old 12-15-2004, 10:03 PM

Car: 1986 IROC-Z
Engine: 355 ci TPI, 10:1 cr, Isky cam, ported heads, dual exhaust
Transmission: 700R4, ratchetting shifter, 3.23 rear
Superchargers that I see around are pretty pricey, unless you get one of the smaller roots blowers. And those work really well for a street application.

An example. I traded a 327 to my friend for a 400. Both motors needed rebuilding, but the 327 lacked torque. He stuck it in a 1968 Camaro he restored and put the smallest supercharger, something like a $1200 144 blower from Summit. When I rode with him, I couldn't believe how much power that little 327 had with only 5 lbs of boost. WOW!!!!!!!!!!

I told him if my 327 felt THAT good in my Corvette, I never would have gotten rid of it. I'd say it pulled about as hard as the 427 big block I ended up installing in my Corvette.

What you'll need for survival, a decently low compression ratio, like 9:1 or less preferrably. Aluminum heads are a plus, but my friend ran iron heads on his. You'll definitely want to talk to MSD, because you need to be able to have timing retard referenced from boost. Like a degree per psi, for example. Some of their multiple spark systems have this feature.

Don't forget, you need a better exhaust with better induction. Your engine can't feast if it's constipated.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:37 AM
Supreme Member

haha...good analigy...i'm running a new full exhaust....LT headers, 3 or 3.5 inch pipe and flowmaster muffler....so airflow should be sufficient...so a 144 or a 174 would be a great investment?? do I have to do anything with my heads, will the supercharger manifold bolt right up?? also, will I see a 100 horsepower gain, if not, how much will I gain??? thanks alot
Old 12-16-2004, 07:38 AM
Supreme Member

also, i think my compression is way up there...at least in the 10's....how do I get that down??? send my heads to a machine shop and get the bowls bigger to lower the compression or what??/ how exactly can I achieve this??
Old 12-16-2004, 08:47 PM

The easiest way would be a head swap. You could get the largest combustion chamber heads you can find. But that may not be enough. You could maybe have a machine shop enlarge the combustion chambers and do some unshrouding while they're at it. But the most effective way if your compression is that high is with lower compression pistons. You might have to do a minimum rebuild, which I would say should be an overbore, some dished forged pistons, and a supercharger cam. You could probably do it for about $1500 if you do it yourself.

If you don't want to spend so much, go with nitrous. As far as what the piston "sees", it's still supercharging, just chemically. And you can keep your 10:1. You'll go just as fast for 1/6th what you'd spend supercharging.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:57 PM
Supreme Member

the deal is i'm 18, and my dad is helpin with the car....nitrous will never fly with him.....however a supercharger is alright in his book......so if i'm gonna do this, its getting supercharged...hmmmm.....i have no idea what I should do.....does it cost that much to get pistons replaced by a shop if i take everythign down to the block??? i just don't have the tools to swap out pistons or anything.....i'm kinda in a standstill...does anybody else know how i can get my compression down by doing it the most cost effective way???
Old 12-18-2004, 01:12 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1985 Iroc-Z
Engine: 305
Transmission: t-5
U can put on thicker head gaskets i have seen people drop a full point of compression by doing that and its inexpensive if u do it yourself. What u can do is call felpro or any of the performance tech lines and they can refer u to what thickness of gasket u need for your application.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:40 PM

Yes, you can do that. You won't have the ideal quench, but the supercharger will make up for it. I think copper head gaskets are available in large sizes. I'll bet you can drop a point of compression. Or pick up a pair of older 76cc heads and get a simple valve job on them. I don't know if stock heads are 76cc, but I don't think so. That alone might do it.

I can try and figure it out. If you have a stock motor, what year, type of car, and engine is in the car?
Stock GM 76cc heads are plentiful and cheap.

If worse comes to worse, you'd need new pistons. If you need nothing else, it shouldn't cost too much. But check the machine shops in your area and find out.

Call Summit and ask them about the solid copper head gaskets.
800-230-3030.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:43 PM

Oh...it's in your signature. But an 86 IROC came with a 305, so do you know what heads you have on your engine? It doesn't sound stock, especially with 10:1 compression.

Tell your Dad, "But I heard on the forum that nitrous IS chemical supercharging...and besides, it's not full time like a blower".

(But hey, if he's allowing a supercharger, that's okay too).