Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

help with fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help with fuel pump

I just swapped a carbed 350 with a 350 tpi in my 89 iroc. I am able to start the car but it will only idle for about 15 seconds then it will die. Im thinking that it has to do with the fuel pump. When i turn the key the fuel pump turns on and primes the lines but if i dont stay on the throttle once it starts it just dies. I think that the fuel pump is turning off and when the engine is idleing it doesnt have enough vaccume to force fuel through but when im on the throttle it does. Does my reasoning make any sense? Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks
Old 06-02-2004, 08:23 AM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
I assume you're using the in-tank electric fuel pump. What regulator did you use?

The way the TPI did it was to power the pump with a timed relay when the ignition was turned on. Then, oil pressure is required in order to keep power to the pump (via an oil pressure switch). Some versions used ECM input to operate the pump (I am now over my head).

Your reasoning doesn't make any sense, because vacuum has absolutely nothing to do with getting fuel to the carb. It does have something to do with getting the fuel from the fuel bowl to the venturi, but that's all.

Get a pressure gage in the fuel line (as close to the carb as possible would be best) to determine what's really going on.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:07 PM

Im using the mallory 4309 pressure reg. I have a gauge on the reg and it reads about 6 psi. I have the sending unit for oil pressure hooked up and it is working.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
A good place to start would be to start it up, let it die, and then check the fuel bowl to see if there's gas in it.

Vacuum has nothing whatsoever to do with fuel system operation.

Ig the gauge reads 6 psi when it's dying, then odds are, there's fuel there, and your probelm isn't in the fuel system. Rather, it's tuning; and/or vacuum leak(s).
Old 06-02-2004, 01:01 PM

as the car dies so does the fuel pressure and I already checked for vaccume leaks and didnt find any
Old 06-02-2004, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by 1989iroc-z
I have the sending unit for oil pressure hooked up and it is working.
Are you talking about the oil pressure gage working, or the oil pressure fuel switch to the pump working?
Old 06-02-2004, 01:05 PM

We both posted at the same time.

If pressure is maintained all the while the engine is running (and not exceeding 6 psi), then it probably doesn't have anything to do with the fuel pump.

It is possible that the carb can't quite handle 6 psi. What carb are you using?
Old 06-02-2004, 01:12 PM

I just went out and played around with it for awhile and noticed when the fuel pump turns on to prime the lines i get about 6psi but after the car is started i am getting no pressure. Now I am really confused. The oil pressure gauge is hooked up. is that sending unit and the switch different?. The carb is an edelbrock 600 w/elec choke, It was just taken apart, checked out, cleaned and reassembled.

Last edited by 1989iroc-z; 06-02-2004 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-03-2004, 04:09 PM

Car: 90 RS
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700R4
We've done the same thing at the same time. I get a good prime, then once the car is running, the pressure dies to less than a pound. I'm guessing that since the ECM doesn't control anything now, the oil pressure switch may also be bad. Hopefully someone will post soon to solve our problems. In the meantime, I'm going to attempt to direct wire the fuel pump relay and see if manual control of the pump makes any difference.
Old 07-04-2004, 01:14 AM
TGO Supporter

Car: Z28
Engine: Sb2.2 406
Transmission: Jerico 4 speed
Axle/Gears: Ford 9" 3.60
Sounds like the problem lies in the oil pressure switch. The ECM powers the relay (and the pump) intitially to pressurize it, enough so that it can start. Once it starts, the oil pressure switch picks up pressure and kicks in, acting as the cut off switch. If that is bad, then there would be no reading from it and the FP relay would get no input, meaning the pump would not get power and the car would die out after the fuel suply from the initial priming has been exhausted.

Since it primes, the relay sounds like it's in good order. You're getting adequate pressure upon priming, so the pump seems to be ok. Sounds to me like you need a new oil pressure switch.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:00 AM

Car: 1987 IROC-Z28
Engine: 383 Vortec - carb
Transmission: T56 - 6speed
I seem to be saying this all the time and it usually is the problem. maybe we could get it stickied somehow under a new post titled no fuel pressure after car is running ... or something along those lines. I can't take credit for this info either.. I obtained it here as well. but here it is. Copied from the post I replied to about 15 minutes ago

here is what I experienced with my TPI to carb conversion and it sounds like the same issue you have.

The ECM only runs the pump for the prime. after that the fuel pump is activated by an oil pressure switch. This oil pressure switch is located above the oil filter on the drivers side of the block. The oil pressure sensor on the back of the block by the distributor is the one that runs the gauge. The first one I mentioned above the oil filter is the one that actually runs the fuel pump. This is the only thing that tells the pump to turn on. Once this switch sees oil pressure it will activate the pump. Let me know if you need any more info about this switch.

Hodge
Old 07-08-2004, 02:12 AM

Car: 1985 f-body
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: th-350
I'm pretty sure your problem is your regulator, i had the same problem when i put my carbed 383 into a FI v6 car, since the stock pumps are made to put out much higher pressure (55psi?) for fuel injection then a carbureted engine would need, well when you you try and regulate that pressure down, the pump gets backed up with fuel, and it thinks an injector is stopped up or the fuel filter is stopped up and shuts itself off to prevent damage to the pump

now there is a fuel return line (next to the steering arm by your exhaust manifolds) that you may be able to put a T in the line before your regulator to flow that excess fuel bck to the tank

or you can get an aftermarket fuel pump that doesnt do this
Old 07-08-2004, 02:36 AM
TGO Supporter

Originally posted by fbody85
I'm pretty sure your problem is your regulator, i had the same problem when i put my carbed 383 into a FI v6 car, since the stock pumps are made to put out much higher pressure (55psi?) for fuel injection then a carbureted engine would need, well when you you try and regulate that pressure down, the pump gets backed up with fuel, and it thinks an injector is stopped up or the fuel filter is stopped up and shuts itself off to prevent damage to the pump

now there is a fuel return line (next to the steering arm by your exhaust manifolds) that you may be able to put a T in the line before your regulator to flow that excess fuel bck to the tank

or you can get an aftermarket fuel pump that doesnt do this
*EDIT* I'm too tired to pick this post apart.
Old 07-08-2004, 02:51 AM

Car: 1985 f-body
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: th-350
*EDIT* I'm too tired to pick this post apart.
Not to tired to suck some **** though huh
Old 07-08-2004, 02:53 AM
TGO Supporter

What does that have to do with anything?
Old 07-08-2004, 09:00 AM
Supreme Member

Not to tired to suck some c*** though huh
Are you completely retarded? or are you just totally stupid?
I believe that the point he was going to make on your post, is that you are doing it the wrong way. You should be using a regulator with a return line in the first place. If you attempt to dead-head one of these stock fuel pumps they will burn up. But back to the point, This is a tech board, and if you cant post worthwhile, dont post garbage. If you dont like what someone says, or disagree, then handle it like an adult. My advice to you would be to create a new user name and try again, because you have already ruined this one.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:30 AM
TGO Supporter

You are correct lj. That was the point i was going to make, but at that time at night (or in the morning, for that matter) I was too tired to type it all out. What I ended up typing was originally somewhat rude, so i edited it.

There is a right and a wrong way to use a EFI pump for carb applications. Either the Mallory or Barry Grant, as they are the only 2 return style regulators that i am aware of. You set the PSI and any excessive pressure gets bled back tot he tank via the return line. Several memebers are using this route, myself included. When done properly, you do no burn out the pump. Those Holley regulators that cost, what $20-$30? Those are intended pretty much for dual inlet carbs. Fuel comes in the bottom, and out the sides to the bowls.

As for the fuel pump shutting down because it thinks there is too much pressure, that is wrong. As both lj and myself have just pointed out, they do nut "shut down to prevent damage", they burn out from overheating from working to hard. You don't prevent damage, the damage has been done.

Couldl i have said it nicer in my above post, probably. Did that call for the blatant, rude, and completely idiodic reply? No. In lj's first question, I am leaning towards the later.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:21 PM

Car: 90 RS
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700R4
Evidently the oil pressure switch was faulty. I was able to run power straight to the relay and the problem went away. I didn't state it, but I already had a 4309 regulator plumbed in "with" a return line. The oil pressure switch has been replaced and all is well. Also bypassed the fuel pump relay related to the VATS, so now the whole car is computer free...... Thanks for the help and opinions. Couldn't have done it without you guys, well most of you....Really don't understand how we ventured to the queer side once, but anyhow...there are kids on every forum I suppose.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:26 PM
Supreme Member

Glad to hear you got it worked out, and another thirdgen is on the streets.

there are kids on every forum I suppose.
We definately have our fair share here.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:56 PM

Car: 2001 Z28 camaro
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Just to be sure cause I couldnt seem to get a straight answer on this...if I get an inline pump, do I HAVE to take out the stock pump, or can I leave it in? What would be better doing that or getting a fuel pressure regulator. The only reason I ask is cause I'm not quite sure how to make the stock fuel pump work after the ecm is removed. Thanks
Old 03-31-2005, 11:59 PM

Car: 2001 Z28 camaro
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 2.73
scratch that...I just found the answer to my own question...