Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

1991 TBI to Carb Swap – Status and Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 10:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1991 TBI to Carb Swap – Status and Questions

Some of you may recognize me by now. I’ve been here asking a bunch of questions, and have been getting pretty good answers thus far, but I’m finally getting into the short strokes of being ready to take this project on, and I would greatly appreciate any extra advice or “I’ve already done this, here’s what to watch for” type of help from any of you who are able and willing to give it.

I’ll put the questions in bold at the end of this write up, and I apologize in advance for this being so long, but I wanted to make sure I gave the full story and answer any questions that MY QUESTIONS might create.

I have a 1991 Camaro, RS that we have put a 383 w/ 9.5:1 Compression in with the following cam:

Cam Specifications:
* Advertised duration: 282 intake/282 exhaust
* Duration at .050 in. cam lift: 224 intake/224 exhaust
* Gross valve lift: .465 in. intake/.465 in. exhaust
* Lobe separation: 114 degrees

The car currently has a TBI system on it, and that’s simply got to go. So I began the research project of learning how to make this swap. I must thank you guys and this site for all your help on this research project. Without this site, I fear I would be lost.

…once I decided what I wanted to do and the direction, carb size and what not I wanted to go with, I went about the task of looking at what options and prices were available and started bargain hunting.

The only real “Bargain” I have pulled off includes the primary 2 components of this swap. A used but working Holley 650 Spread Bore 4011 carb (PN R84021) and a good working Vacuum advance HEI distributor & coil in need of only a new Advance Curve Kit and a Cap and Rotor set (doesn’t NEED the cap and rotor yet, but I’m going to renew the whole thing now so I don’t have to screw with it later. I got these two parts for virtually nothing and $78.40 later ($43.95 for the Carb Rebuild Kit, $29.95 for the HEI Cap and Rotor Set and $4.50 for the Advance Curve Kit) I’ve got a working and ready Carb and Distributor.

Distributor Weight Kit

Distributor Rotor and Cap Set

The rest of the parts, had to be obtained via the standard Jegs/Summit retail lines. I picked up a Mallory AFPR (MAA-4309) at summit to solve the fuel delivery issues.

Mallory 4309 AFPR – 3 Port

And last but not least, the Manifold selection. This was a difficult process. First and foremost, I learned that since I have center bolt 87+ heads that the standard intake manifolds available wouldn’t fit without modification, and the ones that would are not really performance parts. After advice from a few here and from some buddies who’s opinions I respect, I decided to buy the pre 87 style intake and modify it to fit my car. So I have chosen the Edelbrock Performer RPM for Quad/Spreadbore Carbs. I think this manifold will suit the needs of this build quite nicely, and based on what I’ve learned, I’m not worried about the modification… should be a snap. Obviously, I’ll be ordering a set of Manifold gaskets when I place the order for the Manifold

Edelbrock Performer RPM Spreadbore Intake – EDL-7104

So you’re pretty much up to speed. I’ve either got all the major parts, or at very least have them identified, and I’m probably a short couple of weeks away from taking this project on. To that end, I have a few remaining unanswered questions I’d like to pose.

Intake Manifold Modification – Does anyone have a template, instructions or pictures on how to do this modification?

Throttle/Kickdown Cables – Is this simply a plug and play thing, or am I going to have to modify the cable setup to work with the carb? If so, does anyone have part numbers or specifics on how to make the parts one would need to make this work?

Torque Converter lockup – I’m not planning to take the computer totally out of the car, so is this going to be an issue for me? I know it is if you totally remove the computer, but is it going to be something I have to address if I keep the computer in place?

Gotchas? – In any car project there are the inevitable discoveries that something was forgotten or not thought of, so a trip to the parts store becomes necessary. Is there any advice you guys can give me to keep this to a minimum? What has everyone who’s done this encountered along the way?

General Input – I’m going into this sort of blind. I have read the articles here and they have been very helpful and a good guide. However, any extra input anyone would care to give would be greatly appreciated… No point in re-inventing the wheel if some has “been there, done that”.

Thanks guys! I’ll look forward to giving you more info as I have it. I’ve been an EFI guy for a long time, and I’m looking forward to learning more about the Carb side of things!

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 05-18-2004, 12:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
heres a gotcha...

what carb are you planning on using?
with a spreadbore manifold, your only choice is a quadrajet... no holley, no demon, no edelbrock/carter.
the only way to run thoes carbs would be to put a adapter plate under the carb.. and that raises the whole thing higher... and then you have to run a smaller air cleaner, closer to the top of the carb, and that hurts power....

for the intake manifold mod, id put the motor together, wait until you can see and compare the holes, THEN oval out the holes to the manifold.

for the Throttle/Kickdown Cables, get a bracket that mounts to the carb.. MrGasket, Spectre, holley, and several other companys make them. it will hold the TV cable and throttle cable for you..

to keep TC lockup, you'll need a TC lockup kit... basicly its a small gadget that looks at the vac in the intake manifold... when you're crusing for a set amount of time, it locks it up. you will NEED to have some form of lockup, or you will burn up the trans on a long hwy trip.

as far as parts, just think everything thru in your head as you would do it... do i have the adapters to fuel line for the FPR? do i need thread sealent for them? do i have the fuel line? do i have hose clamps? ect... think each step thru and what you would want to have with it.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by MrDude_1
what carb are you planning on using?
with a spreadbore manifold, your only choice is a quadrajet... no holley, no demon, no edelbrock/carter. the only way to run thoes carbs would be to put a adapter plate under the carb.. and that raises the whole thing higher... and then you have to run a smaller air cleaner, closer to the top of the carb, and that hurts power....
It was in my post, a Holley 650 Spread Bore 4011 carb (PN R84021). Same base as a QJET.

for the intake manifold mod, id put the motor together, wait until you can see and compare the holes, THEN oval out the holes to the manifold.
Motor is already together and running. You may be right, I may end up having to wait until I've got the new manifold ready to go on, but I was hoping to get some of this work done ahead of time to expedite the process.

for the Throttle/Kickdown Cables, get a bracket that mounts to the carb.. MrGasket, Spectre, holley, and several other companys make them. it will hold the TV cable and throttle cable for you..
Cool! I didn't know they made such a part. I'll look into that.

to keep TC lockup, you'll need a TC lockup kit... basicly its a small gadget that looks at the vac in the intake manifold... when you're crusing for a set amount of time, it locks it up. you will NEED to have some form of lockup, or you will burn up the trans on a long hwy trip.
Ok, so the computer won't maintain this function if it's left? I'll look into that part.

as far as parts, just think everything thru in your head as you would do it... do i have the adapters to fuel line for the FPR? do i need thread sealent for them? do i have the fuel line? do i have hose clamps? ect... think each step thru and what you would want to have with it.
I guess this is what I'm asking. I appriciate the advice, but I have never done this before, so I don't know what adapters I'll need, or if I need to change fuel line, what extra parts I may need to buy, which is why I asked the question here.

Thanks for all the input though! You pointed me in the right direction here on a number of questions!
Old 05-20-2004, 09:29 AM

Any other input?