Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Fuel Pump For Carb

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Pump For Carb

I hate to beat a dead horse, but reading the tech board article of the swap, the author wrote how you can put an inline pump while still utilizing the stock pickup. My question is, can you just put the inline pump in place without dropping the tank and just not wire the stock pump? Will the inline pump still pump through the stock pickup and dead pump? Do you still need the return regulator if it is possible and if you don't need the reg do you just need to plug the lines at the tank?

92 rs waiting on a fresh 383 c.i.
Dart ironeagle 180cc heads
comp xtreme cam 274h
edelbrock ram air gap
msd ignition 6a
holley street avenger carb
Old 05-26-2003, 11:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 Irocz
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.25:1
Yes, what you're talking about will work to run the engine,
but you'd better pull the stock pump out before you do any serious racing with the engine.
An inline can pull through a dead intank pump but obviously there is a big restriction and you run the risk of running out of fuel.
This can be a SERIOUS problem if you're running nitrous.
Old 06-02-2003, 04:55 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89rs (previous 2.8)
Engine: 406
Transmission: 700r4 (for now)
Originally posted by 305sbc

An inline can pull through a dead intank pump
Not always true!!! I sure couldnt, as well as many others...one of those great mysteries...

Last edited by Riley's35089rs+; 06-02-2003 at 05:00 AM.
Old 06-11-2003, 09:20 PM

I am wondering this exact question right now. Someone told me that since the pump was dead, that it wouldnt be able to suck fuel from the bottom of the tank. And so it would suck when the tank was near full, but then when you got down to say half a tank, then it wouldnt be pulling any fuel. But if this idea before stated works, taht makes me really happy, but pissed at the same time, that I have already cut off my exhaust to drop my fuel tank.
Old 06-11-2003, 09:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just take the old pump out. It is cheap insurance just incase it doesn't pull through.
Old 06-12-2003, 12:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Or .. you can just USE the in-tank pump! Wow! What a concept !

Last edited by Odyssey; 06-12-2003 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-12-2003, 05:31 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89rs (previous 2.8)
Engine: 406
Transmission: 700r4 (for now)
Originally posted by Odyssey
Or .. you can just USE the intake pump! Wow! What a concept !
thats what i do ......with a malory 3 port afpr
Old 06-12-2003, 07:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Actually, I was just looking at the new Summit Racing catalog the other day, and here is what I found.

First, you SHOULD remove the mechanical fuel pump. Buy a block-off plate and remove the pushrod for the pump.

Second, YES, you can buy a Purolator electric fuel pump, I forget the model number, but I have three of them now. One in my Volkswagen Bus, and one in my 81 TransAm, and another I found in a junkyard car. They are great little pumps, do the job, do it well, and they're fairly inexpensive.

I run one on my 81 TransAm with no return-line on it. However, they DO sell in the Summit Racing catalog, a 1 in 2-out fuel Y-adaptor.. not sure what you call it. Basically there's one input for the fuel, and then there's a return line, and there's the fuel OUT (to carburetor or whatever). What's even better, it has a built-in adjustible fuel pressure regulator on it. I believe they were selling it for around $30 dollars. I'm considering using the more powerful purolator pump I have, and buying one of those little adaptors.

I'm assuming you're doing this for a carbureted car?

In any case, you should probably drop your tank and replace the pickup sock.. just for the hell of it. It's always good to replace it.
Don't blow yourself up.

They SAY it's best to mount the fuel pump as close to the fuel tank as possible.. I've never seen any scientific proof that suggests this is really that important.. but judging by how my electric fuel pump works on my VW bus, I'm imagining that they are suggesting that because of inition start time. On my bus, I have the pump wired to the ignition. I have to turn the ignition on and leave it there without starting the car for about 10 seconds while the pump builds up pressure.

Hope that helps some.

Personally... I think EVERYONE should replace their mechanical fuel pumps with electric fuel pumps. There is no reason why anyone should want to keep a mechanical fuel pump. They fail, they're a pain in the *** to change. You can replace an OUT OF TANK electric fuel pump MUCH easier than any other type of fuel pump. I always carry a spare fuel pump in the Bus.
Old 06-12-2003, 09:13 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 82 camaro SC
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
Mechanical pumps are cheap, last a long, long time and are very easy to replace. I would get rid of the in-tank pump, that way you know it's not ever going to be a problem, or keep the pump and use it. Putting the pump near the tank is good because fuel pumps are usually 'pusher' pumps and not good 'puller' pumps. As in, they pump really good and efficient when fuel is setting at the inlet and they don't have to create suction(or very little suction). Another reason why I wouldn't leave the pump dead in the tank(restriction on the suction side)