Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Quadrajet Prob!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2002, 03:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quadrajet Prob!

I just bought this 83 T/A with a 305 with a quadrajet. When i first got it it was leaking gas at the fuel fitting. I fixed that and then i noticed gas leaking around the seal. I got a new seal and know all the leaks are fixed it no longer leaks! Now my problem is ever since I fixed the leaks it does not want to idle it floods itself! It only stays running when I stay on the gas, but eventually floods itself and dies. It was running fine before I fixed the leaks! I don't have the money to junk this carb yet but it will come soon after the holidays then I will put a eldelbrock 600cfm on it. But for now I need any tips anyone might have to fix this problem! Thanks in advance.
Old 12-01-2002, 09:24 PM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Welcome aboard.

When you say "floods itself", do you mean it just won't idle, or does the fuel bowl actually overfill and fuel spill overboard?

How did you fix the leaks, exactly? If by chance you created any debris that could go towards the float needle & seat, you may have contaminated the fuel "shut-off" mechanism in the carb. It can't stop the flow of fuel from the fuel pump, and the fuel bowl gets too full.

Just a guess.

Oh, an unsolicited opinion: Don't waste your money on a new carb. That computer-controlled q-jet will feed your engine just fine now and well into any performance upgrades you might have planned for the future. It certainly is good for whatever you do to a 305, and will drive better and get better mileage than that Edelbrock ever can, while producing more power. There's absolutely no reason to ditch the factory carb: rebuild, repair, replace-with-like-carb - yes, but put on an aftermarket, non-CC carb - no.
Old 12-08-2002, 11:26 AM

Car: 1986 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 305 LG4
Transmission: Borg Warner 5 Speed
make sure your mixture control selenoid is working. (click-click-click....)
Old 12-10-2002, 08:43 PM

Yes my mixture control solenoid is working. When I say it floods itself it does both it will not idle and it will eventually poor fuel out the top of the carb. I am going to try and rebuild the carb and see if that helps. I have never rebuilt a carb but I have nothing to lose at this point do you have any good hints on rebuiling a computerized q-jet? I will keep you informed on what happens.
Old 12-11-2002, 09:56 AM

Car: 1986 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 305 LG4
Transmission: Borg Warner 5 Speed
rebuild

I did a top-end rebuild on mine last week for the first time. 1. don't take the choke off if you don't have to, just disconnect the lever arm to the primary choke plate, cause it's a pain to put all that back together without dropping thast piece in the carb. 2. you CAN get the air horn off without removing the accellerator pump arm, just be careful and don't force it. when you get the airhorn high enough just flip it 90* to remove it from the accel arm rod. 3. don't look at the rich stop for your MCS and say"what the hell is this little thing?" while turning it. I did this and messed up my setting. 4. if the kit comes with a new part, use it! might as well replace evrything the first time. 5. keep your air horn screws in a pattern that matches how they attach or label them so you know when it comes time to put them back in. There are at least 3 different lengths. 6. make sure the little hook-like-thing on the underside of the airhorn pushes against the TPS plunger body when putting the air horn back on, this is the only way it can be adjusted later on. 7. last but not least, if, while your taking the fuel line off, it starts to erupt fuel for no reason, unscrew your gas cap to relieve the pressure, and when reattaching the carb don't forget to reattach the hard little vaccuum in the back, it controls your advance!. I don't know about the whole carb, these were just problems I ran into when I replaced my TPS and MCS. :lala: