Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

350 Carb/Can this be legal in Cali?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2002, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: T5
350 Carb/Can this be legal in Cali?

I am one of the lucky ones that live in Southern Cal, where the sun shines bright, the women are beauties, and home of the nations WORST Emissions standards. So, I want to hear from my fellow drivers, who have passed smog legally (or not ) and have a high HP machine.

My intentions are to cherry pick my 305, and drop a 350 crate motor in my car. However, as this post implies, SMOG legality. What can I do from a speedfreaks perspective to have a legal high HP 350? Is there anything I can do to tweak the motor (or the system) to make sure my car can drive in Cali?

This post mainly is in regards to being Smog legal. I know of other complications with doing an engine swap, but I dont need to hear about that. I want to know if anyone knows, or knows anyone that has a beast in Cali that is legal. And if so, what has he done to keep it that way.

I mean, I have connections in DMV, but, I'de rather be a legal kinda guy. I could get my car registered, but I'de rather not drive in fear of some CHP strip searching my damn engine. So, whats the word fellas? 350 swap a legal go? or an illegal dream?
Old 09-28-2002, 10:37 PM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
I assume you have a carb'd car now. If so, there are possibilities.

#1 - You have to keep the CC carb system. There's no other way around it (except EFI).

#2 - Keep the cam reasonable and computer compatible. Crane and Comp make them that will work (I like my Crane).

#3 - Externally, a 350 looks just like a 305 (unless it has "350" stickers on the valve covers). Hint/hint, wink/wink... It says "305" for the VIN and "305" on the emissions stickers, do they need to know anything else?

#4 - The exhaust and cat are critical. You should be able to get a 3" system past them (they'll only be looking for the existance of A.I.R. and a cat, not the size of it). Oh, functioning A.I.R. and cat are critical.

#5 - California is no worse than Colorado. If I can get a 300+ HP 305 through here, you should be able to get a 300+ HP 350 through there.
Old 09-29-2002, 11:23 PM

Car: '82 Camaro
Engine: 383
Transmission: TH-350
Well before I moved here to Utah I got my 383 past the sniffer in So Cal. I know it's possible to get that cc Q-Jet able to handle a high HP engine. But what I do is run an edelbrock carb and when emissions comes around I put all the cc controlled stuff back in and hook up my computer. It takes a few days to get it all in there and working ok but I think it was worth it. You only have to do it every two years anyway. But beware some shops are ****. The first smog test after I got my car I had rebuilt a cc Q-Jet off of and '81 Buick I think and the punk doing the test even checked the numbers on the carb and told me I had to replace it! But I am proof that it is possible. Just some food for thought.
Old 10-01-2002, 02:48 AM

Wel here in So Cal we have two actual choises. Either keep the 305 for the 'every two year' swap fest and pass in legal fashion. Or, find out what some cats are running, and take it to the smog Ref (before you throw tons of parts at it) and get it legally stickered into your chassis. You can do and engine swap, AS LONG AS you have the smog devices for the year of the vechicle or the year of the engine.....WHATever is later. The Ref will then print up a sticker and put it in your door that makes it a legal swap......as long as it passes smog at the Ref's....
Old 10-04-2002, 02:51 AM

Maybe I wasn't clear on it, but...you don't need to swap out the whole engine. I remember reading in a Hot Rod magazine and they quoted from the books that define california emissions what is legal. ANY engine from the same family is acceptable. It even cited the small block chevy as an example. So you can put in a 400 if you like. It just has to pass the sniffer for 305 levels. I left my 383 in there. I just changed the carb, distributor and hooked up the computer and sensors and crap. Like I said, two days. When I had it smogged the guy asked if it was a 305 or 350 (funny, no 350s in '82 Camaros). I told him a 350 incase it would give me alittle more margin to pass versus a 305. That right there shows a 350 is perfectly fine. Because I told him I had a 350 which wasn't even an option in '82 and it passed no probs. I'd say as long as the cam in your crate motor isn't nuts you should make it no problem. I have approx 400 hp in my 383 and made it so I wouldn't worry.
Old 10-05-2002, 06:57 PM

As the California LAW states........

You can do any engine swap OR WHATEVER modifications (It does not matter on engine family), AS LONG AS you have the smog devices for the year of the vechicle or the year of the engine.....WHATever is later.

CID really doesnt matter either. I passed a 434 cid small block, and I have have passed a 300 cid small block. Both were more than warmed over and they passed. Unless you find a smog guy that will take a payoff, or they are just a plain IDIOT and over look things that will get them fired, fined or thrown in jail, thats how it is here. As the above paragraph states.......that is all you have to do.

Bunker there are different laws for 'out of state vechicles' coming into California (like yours from Utah). But I do like your approach on the every two year trip to the sniffer....... A swap.....nice and simple.

Last edited by chacane67; 10-05-2002 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-16-2002, 09:26 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1985 Camaro
Engine: .040" over 350
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt with 3.45s
Have you considered GM's HO 350 package? I read that it had recently been discontinued but a few might still be available at some dealers. (gmpartsdirect.com still had them when I checked a few weeks ago). Best of all, it is smog legal in all fifty states, including the People's Republic of California. :lala:
Old 10-16-2002, 03:18 PM

chacane67:
I don't know if I would classify swapping all the smog stuff every two years simple, but if you are used to messing with the smog stuff and have a helms it's barable. BTW my car is an original Cali car. I just moved up to Utah like two months ago. Before that born and raised in So Cal. That is a good point though that out of state (out of Cali) cars will have relaxed standards. But mine had to pass as a California car. Hopefully I am free from the smog police for awhile up here.

Back on topic:
That HO 350 package is certianly an option. If I remember correctly they give you the CARB EO sticker and stuff but since it is from GM, I believe it is pricey versus getting a crate like you are planning on. Again my 383 made it. I have a mild cam, but it still has some lope at idle. I put the computer controlled carb and distributor on and got it tuned well enough to pass and my computer with the stock chip didn't even throw a fit. So to all you people in Cali, it is very possible. Might be bending the law alittle doing it like I did, but it works. I think you just have to not go nuts on your cam and as long as you swap the smog stuff back on you should be fine.