Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Carb Shot from vapor lock?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2002, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carb Shot from vapor lock?

Recently i vaporlocked my car twice before i found the problem. I could hear gas boiling in the carb when it did vapor lock. Today when i fired it up i had gas coming out of the carb in all sorts of unusual spots. I even had gas in the vacuum line going to the distributor. I was wondering if my carb is shot or what but i know that i cant seem to figure this one out.
Old 09-08-2002, 12:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
I'm going to guess that you have your lower radiator hose touching your fuel pump, or that you put the fuel pump on with no gaskets, or that you used rubber fuel line and it's laying against something hot, or that the suction side of your fuel line is touching (or very close) to your exhaust.

That doesn't hurt the carb. Don't worry about that. Find and fx the problem that's causing your fuel to get so hot.
Old 09-08-2002, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did find it and i put heat resistant shield on the fuel line where it was close to the heat source. The carb is shot i think because when i fired it up today, it had gas coming from all over the place, including vacuum lines and gaskets and everything. I think i found the problem with the backfire too. I believe it is the valves are overadjusted and when the car runs at high RPMs its pumping up the lifter and causing the intake valve to stay open and backfire up through the carb.