Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Anybody try a Thermo-quad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2001, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Camaro sc
Engine: 350 cid.
Transmission: 700R4
Anybody try a Thermo-quad?

I'm curious as to whether anybody has tried running a Carter Thermo-quad on a smallblock chevy.I've been weighing my carb options and thought that they might be a likely candidate.They are spreadbore type,have vacuum secondairies,and look like they would bolt up to a chevy intake.I also heard that the primairies are smaller which would lead one to think that they might get even better gas mileage than my q-jet.I haven't actually looked one over yet,so maybe it's not possible.Have any of you guy's had any experience with these carbs?Do they suck,or work pretty good?My dad used to run Dodges and they used to run pretty good(for Dodges).I used to have an edelbrock performer,which is nothing but a carter afb,and it hooks up to a chev no problem.What do you guy's think?

------------------
86'Camaro Berlinetta SC,former 2.8,now 350 cid,4 bolt main.94'TPI 350 heads(pocket ported),420-442 lift summit cam,cloyes double roller timing set,Modified q-jet carb(e hanger,ch rods)700-r trans(rebuilt)3:42 gears,t-tops,b&m megashifter,grant wheel,fresh headliner,Macewen white face gauges,American racing wheels..Dedicated to those who enjoy scrounging through junkyards more than throwing money for new stuff...
Old 08-30-2001, 06:24 PM

HotRod Magazine, or maybe it was CarCraft did an article on these. To make a long story short, you can get some hellacious airflow, like 900+ cfm and still have great low end response and gas mileage, just like a Q-jet. I'll dig up the issue and let you know which one its in. I myself would go for it. You can get these dirt cheap at the junkyard and doing something a little different is cool.
Old 08-30-2001, 06:26 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 Hardtop
Engine: 383 Carb
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44
I had one on my old engine, still think about putting it on the new one sometimes. Seemed to be a good carb, but parts are next to impossible to find. I had a problem with bogging when the secondaries opened, but that was probably just from not playing with it enough.
Old 08-30-2001, 09:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 82 camaro SC
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
Nothing that magical about them. A well tuned holley, qjet, carter, ect... will do just as well.

------------------
350 with stealth intake, holley carb, 470 lift cam. 700r4 with .5 boost valve, vette servo, tci lock-up kit, B&M megashifter. Richmond 3.73 gears, powertrax locker, timkin bearings, synthetic lube. Custom 3 inch single into 2 2.5 pipes. 1 1/2 drop springs, 1 5/16 solid front sway bar, 1 inch rear bar, custom subframe connectors, custom LCA relocation brackets. Kobel ground FX, currant red metallic paint. Lots of other stuff...
82camaro
Old 08-30-2001, 10:22 PM

I just got this link to a source of Thermoquad parts in my e-mail from The ODB.

http://www.geocities.com/thermoquads
Old 08-30-2001, 10:40 PM
SSC
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 C4
Engine: L98
Axle/Gears: 307
Well there basicly like qjets. The reason there sooooo cheap is "there cheap!" There junk! Umm Junk!
There were some that ran good and they can be an excellent carb but so can any carb.
99% of the trucks they came on didnet last very long before they were junked, most of them caught fire . the plastic housing would melt that would let gas run down on the hot engine and poof! In a restricted engine compartment like ours I would say the chances of a melt down are increased by 80% compared to the spacious enviroment found in a dodge PU. Im not saying that it would catch fire but thats like saying a 74 pinto is safe in a rear end collision. Dont get the carb! RUN for your life!
SSC
Old 08-31-2001, 01:37 AM

I have to honestly say that's one of the dumbest things I've heard in my life.
Old 08-31-2001, 01:53 PM
SSC
Supreme Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Apeiron:
I have to honestly say that's one of the dumbest things I've heard in my life.</font>
Say what you will. I give a warning and its just that a warning. Ive seen melted thermo quads and the damage they can do, "IF" they catch fire.
Its your life, your car, your money do what ever you want.
SSC

[This message has been edited by SSC (edited August 31, 2001).]
Old 08-31-2001, 05:26 PM

I'm sure you have seen melted thermoquads, in burned out vehicles, the plastic body will melt in an engine fire. What you haven't seen is a thermoquad body melting due to engine heat and starting a fire.
Old 08-31-2001, 06:02 PM
SSC
Supreme Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Apeiron:
I'm sure you have seen melted thermoquads, in burned out vehicles, the plastic body will melt in an engine fire. What you haven't seen is a thermoquad body melting due to engine heat and starting a fire.</font>
Actualy that has been the case. I worked in a shop for three years and have seen just about everything possible happen. Mosltly the thermoquads ive "heard" about melting were in Tow situations the added heat from the engine pulling a heavy trailer caused the carb to melt, Ive seen the aftermath and the fire started at the carb. One would think by design the thermoquad would expel heat through the plastic into the gas or engine compartment. Thies was not the case.Due to the lack of space in a 3rd gen or any other camaro for that matter there would be an increased possibility for melt down. When I first seen a thermoquad and studied the design I thought it was a good design. Later I found that it was highly flawed due to the plastic body which would warp due to constant heat up and cool down and eventualy leak, possibly causing a fire. Plastic carb spacers have the same problem grated they are not cooled with fuel and warp sooner.
SSC

[This message has been edited by SSC (edited August 31, 2001).]
Old 08-31-2001, 06:50 PM

I agree they're noted for warping and cracking leading to leaks, 20+ years of service doesn't exactly help in this respect, but I can think of a lot of things in the engine compartment that would melt before the phenolic body.
Old 09-01-2001, 08:08 AM

Car: Camaro sc
Engine: 350 cid.
Transmission: 700R4
Thanks for the feedback guy's.I think it's important to hear the good along with the bad on a possible project like this.I'm sure the Thermo-quad has it's drawbacks,but no carb is perfect for every application.All i'm looking for is a wider selection to choose from.I can't afford to pay 500$(can)for a new SteetAvenger,as nice as that would be,so i look for inexpensive alternatives.I think if i try one,i could fabricate a heat shield out of sheet metal to go between the carb and the intake to help with the heat problem,could look pretty trick..my car never runs over 190degees anyway,i also run an aluminum intake which has got to help dispell heat.(Do dodge intakes have a heat shield at the underbelly of the intake?).Are there any problems i'll run into hooking one of these badboys up to my SC?Does it clear the EGR and the HEI?Is throttle or tv cable a problem?Again,i appreciate the interest.
Old 09-01-2001, 11:08 AM
SSC
Supreme Member

MT, That heat shiled is an excellent idea. Dodge did not use a heat shield. They should have! Im sure you could fabricate one with tin that would clear all the components. I suggest you hit up lowes or home depo, but just make sure that you have thick gaskets on both sides of the shield.
GL!
SSC