Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

ever wonder how much airspace is in the *trunk*?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2001, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ever wonder how much airspace is in the *trunk*?

well i took some time out to measure how much air is in the trunk of my 84 z28, im gettin 2 nakamichi subs for christmas i think lol, im gonna build the box out of wood, and suspend two rings of mdf on a top panel with a big oval cut in it, then fiberglass of the rings, with fleece then chop mat, then bondo lol, then lots of sanding, ill show u guys pics after im done, but anyways, there is about 3.4 cubic ft of air in the truck, i measured from the bottom of the glovebox to the bottom of the well, so there is plenty of room in there for two Nak 12s, and about 4 tens, so u should take advantage of that number i gave u
Old 12-06-2001, 07:07 PM

thank you, nagga! The only reason i joined these boards was to find out how much space was in the trunk, and you definitely helped me out. Thank you! Did you have the interior side panels still on? 3.4 was a lot higher than i thought
Old 12-07-2001, 01:46 AM

i can take a pic of my trunk to show u where i measured from, but i left all plastic intact
Old 12-07-2001, 07:40 AM

If you have the 2 12's where do the 4 10's go?
Old 12-07-2001, 09:35 AM
TGO Supporter
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
3.4 cubes? My boxes barely fit into the car, and a box that's flush with the floor only has about 1.5 cubes. My bigger boxes that stick up a few inches above the floor have about 3.0 cubes. Even if you use a fiberglass mold of the well, 3.4 sounds VERY big. Somebody here suggested filling the area with styrofoam peanuts then putting them into a rectangular box, which would make calculating volume MUCH easier. it'll give you a decent ball-park idea of the volume, but you also need to realize that you can't utalize 100% of that volume. The box thickness takes up room, and if you're using wood, you'll lose a TON of that space.

------------------

The IROC Homepage
<A HREF="http://www.rit.edu/~jli4307/camaro" TARGET=_blank>
View the restoration of an 85 IROC</A>
Custom Thirdgen Subwoofer Enclosures
"I didn't know a bored out Ford could go so slow" -Shenandoah
Old 12-07-2001, 09:46 AM

It's nice to have someone post some #'s up here but I agree with Jim. I think it sounds a little on the large side. Did you take into consideration the volume you would loose due to the thickness of the wood? I've been figuring with the wood thickness and sub displacment I couldn't get much over 3 cubic feet.
Old 12-07-2001, 03:00 PM

not sure which one will work, but heres a link to0, this is where i measured from, and no i didnt take into account the box, i said "roughly" 3.4cu.ft, how am i supposed to know weather your gonna use 5/8 or 3/4 inch wood, or fiberglass, so i just gave u a number u could work with, not to build your box exactly to, and u wont end up having 3.4cu.ft in your box, but u should have around 3cu.ft which is enuff for 2 12s, or 4 tens, i didnt expect this much feedback, and for it to be negative
http://nagga.20megsfree.com/trunk.jpg
u have to copy and paste link

[This message has been edited by nagga (edited December 07, 2001).]
Old 12-07-2001, 03:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1999 Camaro Z28
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 4L60E
I've got 2 12's in my hatch area. But my box doesn't go all the way down into the well, so I don't use up and of the space below the box. But with the car not having anything from keeping air getting to the hatch area, there is alot more air space. Here's a pic of my box.

------------------
Dallas
Ram Air Z
Old 12-07-2001, 05:51 PM

I never wanted to make it sound like I was reacting negativly to your post although I can see why you would get that impression. Just curious about how you went about your calculations. I heard 3.4 and got excited. I have a printout at home of someone who posted a website for what I think was called "the ultimate 3rd gen subwoofer box". He uses 5/8 wood and a lot of angles with his box and gets some great volume out of it. I'll look for the plans and see what he got. I think it wasn't to far from what you had.
Old 12-08-2001, 10:43 PM

The total internal volume of my box is about 3.6 cu.ft. It does, however, extend about 2.5" above the level part of the rear deck (which includes the baffle board which is 1" thick). The reason I have so much space is because the box is totally custom (fits the well perfectly) and made from fiberglass. No wasted space.

I think 3.4 cu.ft. is a reasonable estimate. If you need that much space (such as I did for a ported box) then just make the box from fiberglass.