Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

What else besides Dynamat?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2001, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What else besides Dynamat?

My interior is gutted, and I would like to deaden the sound with something comparable to Dynamat Extreme. Is there anything out there just as good but at a lower price?

------------------
92 Camaro RS
Currently swaping over to a 383 stroker with a roller set up, Fast Burn Heads, LT4 Hot Cam, Speed Demon 750,DUI distributor. Complete restoration in progress.
Old 10-25-2001, 06:02 PM

I bought some stuf off ebay and it sounded really good....its basically dynamt extreme without the label. Just do a search on ebay for dynamat and get some cheap stuff.

I have a bunch left that I dont need if you want it also.

Nate
Old 10-25-2001, 06:42 PM
TGO Supporter

The stuff on ebay that he's probably talking about (correct me if I'm wrong) is RAAMmat. This guy sells over 80 (it may be 100, I don't remember) cubic feet for $69.95US. It's supposed to be really similar to Dynamat Extreme and he says it's easier to apply, too. There are other Dynamat copies out there, but his sounded like the best and works out to be WAY cheaper.

A couple of weeks ago he was selling rolls of the stuff dutch auction style, but he stopped in order to go on a trip to the sound off finals. I was interested in picking up a roll so I emailed him and found this out. He's going to try to put them back on ebay around the 26th or so (this friday). I know I'm in for at least roll. I don't have it on me, but I can give you his email address later.
Old 10-25-2001, 09:03 PM

Car: 1997 Nissan 200SX SE-R
Engine: 2.0 Liter SR20DE
Transmission: 5 Speed
Email Rick and tell him to cut you a deal outside of ebay. That could knock another 3-4 bucks off the price.

His car is covered in the stuff and his car is DEAD.

Plus he is a great guy to deal with and a true autophile. His name on Ebay is RAAM and he should have a website up soon.

Nate, how did you end up with a bunch? Stuff is so relatively cheap you should have put it everywhere.

Juan
Old 10-25-2001, 11:27 PM
TGO Supporter

Okay, here's his email: raam@raamaudio.com, and his name is Rick McCallum. He had this to say about the RAAMmat:

"The mat is 45 mils thick, Dynamat Extreme is 44 mils according to their specs. These mats can be thinner than the regular type of mats do to the fact that the aluminum stiffens the panels applied it's to."
Old 10-26-2001, 02:08 PM

Thanks for all the info.89Transam, my email address is lilred383@yahoo.com If you still have some left over, give me an e-mail. Does this stuff that you're talking about , have the aluminum on one side? I will also e-mail Raam.Once again, Thanks.

------------------
92 Camaro RS
Currently swaping over to a 383 stroker with a roller set up, Fast Burn Heads, LT4 Hot Cam, Speed Demon 750,DUI distributor. Complete restoration in progress.
Old 10-26-2001, 02:09 PM

Thanks for all the info.89Transam, my email address is lilred383@yahoo.com If you still have some left over, give me an e-mail. Does this stuff that you're talking about , have the aluminum on one side? I will also e-mail Raam.Once again, Thanks.

------------------
92 Camaro RS
Old 10-26-2001, 02:11 PM

Sorry for the double post. My computer at work is acting Jiggy.
Old 10-26-2001, 02:45 PM

Yes that is the stuff I am talking about. I got it from the raam guy. I just couldent remember his name exactly. I only did my trunk before I sold my Oldsmobile , and I only bought half a roll to begin with , so I guess I dont have that much left after looking at it again.

And yes it is the stuff with aluminum looking side to it. Just contact taht guy , hes legit and shipped pretty fast.

Nate
Old 10-30-2001, 11:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 Formula
Engine: L98
Transmission: A4
b-quiet.

http://www.b-quiet.com/

A few guys a while back used it, and said that it was better than dynamat, and a whole lot cheaper!

I plan on getting some when I can afford it, maybe next summer when I return to working on the Formula...

------------------
http://kiztope.50megs.com
92 Pontiac Firebird Formula 5.7/A4
K&N, nothing else yet!

92 Rs 3.1/T-5
Beautiful car, several mods, but now I am turning attention to the 'bird!

AIM : Theonekiztope

"Maybe one day life will take a turn. When it does Lean into it!" Leon Calrinsky (98)
Old 10-30-2001, 11:47 PM

I have 100 square feet of B-Quiet Extreme. I don't think I would say it is better that dynamat but fairly close probably. When I get done putting it in I'll post what I think of it. I think it will get the job done especially if I layer some trouble spots. At the cheap price you can afford to pile it on.
Old 10-31-2001, 11:56 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kiztope:
b-quiet.

http://www.b-quiet.com/

A few guys a while back used it, and said that it was better than dynamat, and a whole lot cheaper!

I plan on getting some when I can afford it, maybe next summer when I return to working on the Formula...

</font>
I will tell you this to save you alot of trouble down the road...DO NOT USE B-QUIET if you live in a southern state. I applied a full roll and the first 90+degree day here in FL everything turned to goo and slid all over the place. Left me with a mess that took forever to clean up.

B-Quiet is a very thin tar based product that is okay if applied in mass quantities and if you don't have to worry about hot weather. It is by far thinner than Dynamat and ligher weight, so it isn't as effective as a mass load type of sound deadening. A better choice would be the BrownBread stuff that is sold off of b-quiet's web site or the RAAMat.

Also you can use Hi-Temp mastic which works fairly well...You can find it at... http://www.mcmaster.com/
Search for part# 9709T18

Good luck

------------------
Carl
CarAudio Resources
CarAudio Resources Forums are now ONLINE!