Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

ignition noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2001, 07:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ignition noise

how far, i don't want to hear has far as you can get it, do the speaker wires have to be from the amp power wire? Also, is there anything you can do it insulate it to minimize the wine it gives off, maybe coating/covering it with something.

------------------
1987 Black 305 TPI 5spd IROC, seems to be fully loaded, but can't find RPO codes.

AIM: IROC 5spd
http://www.geocities.com/chevy5spdiroc/87Roc.htm
Old 10-18-2001, 01:04 AM
86bird_28v6_5spd_ramair

i know what you mean, now it helps too have a good amp, also you should have a good ground wire, as short as possiable and make sure its as big as your hot wire.

you could get a ground loop islator from radio shack, they help also, or it could be as simple as rca jacks touching or too close.

mine did that the other day and pissed me off, but i moved my rca jack wires so they were not so close and it stopped making that noise.

and not the rca wire it was the connection spots where i added longer cable and the connectors were just too close.

thnk i speld most of it right.

------------------
http://PCperformance-usa.com/86bird/86bird.html
Old 10-18-2001, 07:16 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
99% of the time you can run power and speaker cables right next to each other. The signal through the speaker wires is a high enough voltage that they can reject the noise from the power wire. I've never encountered a problem with it, although I have heard of some situations where it mattered. Hell, I've even run unshielded RCAs next to power cables without problems, although I don't advise that.

If you've got alternator noise, there's a 99% chance that you've got either a ground loop or a shot power supply in one or more pieces of equipment. Ground loop isolators help, but they're not a cure-all, plus they ruin your stereo imaging. It's better to find the problem then cover it up.

------------------

The IROC Homepage
<A HREF="http://www.rit.edu/~jli4307/camaro" TARGET=_blank>
View the restoration of an 85 IROC</A>
Custom Thirdgen Subwoofer Enclosures
"I didn't know a bored out Ford could go so slow" -Shenandoah
Old 10-18-2001, 12:54 PM

You shouldn't need any of those worthless "noise reducers, ground loop isolators" from Radio shack. Just take you time don't cut corners.
#1 A good ground is very important.
#2 Use high quaility RCA's (sheilded a +)
#3 Cheap amps have low budget performance, spend the extra $$ and get something that will last, and sound good.

[This message has been edited by CODY BEHNKE (edited October 18, 2001).]
Old 10-18-2001, 09:13 PM

RCA cables...trust, i run my power on one side of the car and my RCA'a on the other.

------------------
'86WS7
Ram Air...
*EiyseWhite*

Old 10-20-2001, 08:15 PM
Supreme Member

Since when is Alpine a cheap brand?? I will double check the ground.

------------------
1987 Black 305 TPI 5spd IROC, seems to be fully loaded, but can't find RPO codes.

AIM: IROC 5spd
http://www.geocities.com/chevy5spdiroc/87Roc.htm
Old 10-28-2001, 05:29 AM

j166a99 has the best idea yet. If I had 10cents for every car that has the infamous whine in their stereo, I'de be sipping Pina-Coladas in Mexico! There are some things in this world worth having, one is AFR heads, the other, and more to the point is 'clean power'. The 'ground loop reducers' that run through RCAs are not the way to go. It all depends on the system you have. Why spend $400 on an amplifier, only to feed it $&!t power, like feeding your engine 40 octane fuel. No different. Besides, a nice power filter will look good in a layout and people will know that you care about the quality of power that goes to your amps etc. RCAs should be shielded enough to suppress most electromagnetic noise. Use the triple shielded ones though. Again the best thing to do is to run the power wire as far as you can from the RCAs. The ground is a big thing too. Make sure the ground wire is at least as big as the Pos wire. Current flows from - to +. Also make sure that the ground contact will not rust and has clean matal etc. The best is to use some dialectric grease(conductive) on the connection. Remember, clean power is the only way the achieve the THD of your amp. Happy thumping!