Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Jensen?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2001, 05:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89rs
Engine: L03
Transmission: 700R4
Jensen?

Anyone have any problems with Jensen and their ability to make decks? I was thinking of a getting a 1.5 din CM7015k - it seems to have all the features I want...

Thanks for any replys,
Old 10-05-2001, 07:22 AM
TGO Supporter
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
Jensen decks are junk. There's no specific area that I can point out, because they all suck. The ergonomics suck, the reliability sucks, the fit and finish sucks and the sound quality sucks.

------------------

The IROC Homepage
<A HREF="http://www.rit.edu/~jli4307/camaro" TARGET=_blank>
View the restoration of an 85 IROC</A>
Custom Thirdgen Subwoofer Enclosures
"I didn't know a bored out Ford could go so slow" -Shenandoah
Old 10-05-2001, 08:41 AM

Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: 350
Transmission: T-5
their amps arent that bad.... so far.... the one i have has a sub-sonic filter on it, but besides that, its pretty good if your working for descent-better than stock-sounds...

jon
Old 10-05-2001, 03:18 PM

Car: 2002 Camaro SS
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 6 speed
Axle/Gears: GM 3.42
I've got a 715k in my z. It's the previous model to the 7015 and I'm very happy with it. People I know say they suck, and those same people have a hard time telling the difference or finding anything wrong with the sound quality.

I've never found anything else that is 1/5 DIN, has tape, cd, and cd changer controls. I also have Jensen amp and sub, and the 715 drives Pioneer 4x6s in front and back. It's a good sounding system, IMO. And I have a bachelor's degree in Communications: Radio / Audio production, so sq is very important to me.

I've had it for 1 1/2 years now and never had a problem.

The only thing I've noticed is that the Jensen CD players are picky about which brand of CDRs you use (if you make your own cds) If you use name brands like Maxell and Sony it's ok, but cheapo no-name cds usually skip a lot.

Jensen makes a LOT of crap units, though. but it's like shopping at radio shack...they have really bad stuff and really good stuff, there is just no in between so you have to be careful. Just my .02, though.

Pics of the 715 in my 92 z:

------------------
=====================
1992 25th Anniversary z28 Convertible
Old 10-06-2001, 11:36 AM
SSC
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 C4
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 307
I had one of the double din models in my blazer "IMO" the sound quality lacked for the amount of power it claimed to have. "180w or somthing" I did look into the jensen head units when I was looking to fit my bird with a new system. The 510k sounded just as good as the kenwood deck I ended up with but the kenwood was only $20 more. But other than that, I have a jensen amp and sub and they are fine "worth every penny".
So I would say if it sounds good to you get it! Jensen can supprise you once in awhile!
Old 10-06-2001, 03:02 PM

Car: 1991 T-Top RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
I happen to have a Jensen deck with flip down detachable face and cd player 200 watt 4 channel and it's a good stereo. Tell me Facts about why Jensen Suck.

------------------
1987 IROC-Z T-Tops wait... GUTTED MAF!
Old 10-06-2001, 03:48 PM
TGO Supporter
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JohnnyIROC-Z:
I happen to have a Jensen deck with flip down detachable face and cd player 200 watt 4 channel and it's a good stereo. Tell me Facts about why Jensen Suck.

</font>
I used to sell this stuff, so I'm not just spouting it out my a<x>ss.

1. Reliability is a major concern. Of the very few we sold, most of them broke.
2. Ergonomics suck. Most of them have tiny buttons and a poor layout. Try to change the volume and you wind up changing stations.
3. Poor fit and finish. The tiny buttons mentioned above jiggle and do not provide a solid feel.
4. ****ty sound quality. If you like how it sounds, great. I can hear a difference and I find it to be a fairly big difference.
5. Output power. These things don't put out **** .
6. RCA output voltage. 5 volts my a<x>ss. We had to crank the gains on whatever amps we used becuase the deck's output was so low.
7. No headroom at all. Whether using the internal amps or the RCAs, the signal gets horribly distorted long before the volume is maxxed.

There are other issues, but these are the ones that I remember.

I also owned a Jensen 4040HLX 4 channel amp a while back. When it died (not long after I got it) I replaced it with a Pioneer amp that cost the same amount, and was rated at 20 watts/channel less than the Jensen. The difference in sound quality, as well as the actual power output surprised me. It sounded better and played louder even though it was only rated for 60% of the power the Jensen was.

------------------

The IROC Homepage
<A HREF="http://www.rit.edu/~jli4307/camaro" TARGET=_blank>
View the restoration of an 85 IROC</A>
Custom Thirdgen Subwoofer Enclosures
"I didn't know a bored out Ford could go so slow" -Shenandoah

[This message has been edited by Jim85IROC (edited October 06, 2001).]
Old 10-07-2001, 07:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 93 240SX
Engine: LQ9
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.54 R200 IRS
Gotta agree with *most* of what Jim is saying, temporarily using a friends jensen deck in my car, single din flip face one, the first one's volume **** screwed up pretty quickly and started yelling japaneese at us or something (screwed up display and made funny characters), but for sound quality it has worked just fine for me, using RCA's only, and usually turning my amp gains WAY down, a decent HU for the whole 180 bux that it cost.
Old 10-07-2001, 10:51 PM

I put a decent Jensen system in my Bronco. (yeah, I know) it sounds really good, but after about a year, the big blue ****-type switch broke and I couldn't turn the radio down or tune backwards. It's the 1.0 din model similar to the one that Topless's Camaro up there has. (That Camaro has a nice interior, by the way) Once I got it apart, I noticed that as thick as the **** itself was, the part of it you don't see is thin and cheap, no wonder it broke.
Old 10-09-2001, 12:14 PM
Supreme Member

Jensen is cheap for a reason. Their speakers sound like crap, just playing with one of their cd players at a store was enough to turn me away, and you can cook off their amps after running them hard for about 15 minutes.
Old 10-10-2001, 03:08 PM

I have had a couple Jensen amps and decks in my stereo building career, all three of my amps blew, the deck i owned also crapped out on me, but if hooked up properly and taken care of they arent a bad system to start with. Im sure alot of you have fried or messed up something when you started out messing with stereo systems. Believe me I am alot happier that I blew the cheap stuff rather than the more expensive stuff that I work with now. So it all depends on what kind of $$$'s you have, or the experience/sound quality you are looking for. But if your looking for my .02 I say Kenwood and Fosgate 4-Life!!!! =]

------------------
If its not a camaro or corvette then what is it really?
Old 10-10-2001, 03:20 PM

I have had a couple Jensen amps and decks in my stereo building career, all three of my amps blew, the deck i owned also crapped out on me, but if hooked up properly and taken care of they arent a bad system to start with. Im sure alot of you have fried or messed up something when you started out messing with stereo systems. Believe me I am alot happier that I blew the cheap stuff rather than the more expensive stuff that I work with now. So it all depends on what kind of $$$'s you have, or the experience/sound quality you are looking for. But if your looking for my .02 I say Kenwood and Fosgate 4-Life!!!! =]

------------------
If its not a camaro or corvette then what is it really?