Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Did I get screwed on E-Bay? Please help...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2001, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did I get screwed on E-Bay? Please help...

Basically, I ordered a Clarion Pro Audio Dx-515 off of E-bay in a dutch auction. I recieved my order, and it was a Clarion xd-516. I checked out the specs of both head units and they seem to be the same. They look almost exactly the same, the only reason I even noticed I didn't get the right head unit is because the one I recieved was NOT a pro audio unit and the one I ordered was. Also, the unit I recieved said "magi tune", and the one I ordered had I believe "magi tune +" on it.
I wrote the guy a polite e-mail asking what the deal was and saying that if he did not have the head unit I ordered that I would like my money back, including shipping. I also said that if he did have the head unit I ordered to send it to me. Either way I said he would get the cd player he sent to me back when he provided a way to do so at no expense to myself.

He wrote me back saying that the unit he sent me was the same model, just the newer 2001 model, and that I could go to the clarion web site to verify it for myself. He said he,"upgraded my model to the newer model as a good gesture because I was a good customer".

I checked out Clarion's US and UK web sites and found nothing about the head unit I recieved. I checked out crutchfield, and did a search on the web for xd-516. All I got was this http://www.priceworld.com/tuner/tuner.cfm?Category=107
It lists the CD reciever I recieved as being about the same price as the one I ordered.

I am at school now and don't have the head unit with me, but I believe I remember seeing the date "May 2001" on the bottom of the head unit if that helps any.

The only thing that really confuses me is the Pro-Audio and Magi Tune thing. Why would clarion make their new unit a non pro audio one and switch from "Magi Tune +" to "Magi Tune"?

I hope this guy isn't trying to screw me over. This is my first e-bay purchase and would hate to start off like this. If you guys have any ideas or any info on these head unit's an the differences, if any, please help me out. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-24-2001, 10:35 PM

I can't find any info on a dx516
Old 09-24-2001, 10:43 PM

It's XD-516. That's the one I got. The one I ordered was DX-515.

When I searched I tried XD516, XD-516, and XD 516...

[This message has been edited by MikeDwhoROCZImports (edited September 24, 2001).]
Old 09-25-2001, 12:02 AM

go back on ebay and search for the model you did get and see what they're going for and a description about them and try to compare that way. dont forget about the yahoo auctions as well.
Old 09-25-2001, 12:55 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah you got totally screwed. Don't buy from dutch auctions. This is a total bull**** scam and a common one at that. THey advistise this and then sell you the cheap *** version. Thats not an upgrade, I'm sure it more like the down grade. U got burned. Might even be stolen property or defective untis that were elimanited from the product line.

------------------
un4givin89

1989 Camaro Ralley Sport
305 TBI
ElderBrock Open Element
1 1/2 lowering springs

Project List:
Flowmaster Exhaust
New holley Fuel pump
Elderbrock Headers
Battery to Trunk
New Valve Covers
Windows tinted
Sound System

www.mikekey.net

[This message has been edited by un4givin89 (edited September 24, 2001).]
Old 09-25-2001, 02:50 AM

I'm not too familiar with Clarion, but I'll try.

The 2001 models end in the number 6, like yours. When I worked at Best Buy, we had the models ending in 16....the 716, 616, et cetera. I can't remember the 516 though....we sold so few Clarions....is that the one where part of the face is blue?

So what it boils down to is

A. Yes, you did get this year's model, instead of last year's.

B. You only got a standard Clarion unit, instead of ProAudio model.

I guess what you really have to do, is find out if any of that "ProAudio" stuff makes any difference. For examply, if you buy the Pioneer's Premier line, all you get are red lights and a longer warranty; no extra features. But maybe Clarion does it differently; you'll have to find out.
Old 09-25-2001, 10:08 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
There is no DX516 to my knowledge. There's a DXZ615 though, and that radio is one model above the DX515. If you confused these two, then whether you got screwed depends on how much you paid. I see the DXZ-615 selling for about $190 on ebay and online, and the DX515 for about $150.

------------------

The IROC Homepage
<A HREF="http://www.rit.edu/~jli4307/camaro" TARGET=_blank>
View the restoration of an 85 IROC</A>
Custom Thirdgen Subwoofer Enclosures
"I didn't know a bored out Ford could go so slow" -Shenandoah
Old 09-25-2001, 10:09 AM
TGO Supporter

DX515:

DXZ615:

------------------

The IROC Homepage
Old 09-25-2001, 10:48 AM
Banned

I've bene looking for an Alpine In-Dash CD Player on ebay and I am noticing half a dozen people using the same damn picture with different model numbers. Always go check the model number against a retail site before bidding. Cuase I doubt they all look the same.
Old 09-25-2001, 11:43 AM

Ok, I ORDERED the DX-515. The top one in the picture that Jim posted.

I recieved the XD-516.

XD, not DX, XD. Everyone seemed to miss this.

The unit I recieved, XD-516, look's exactly like the DX-515 shown in the picture except that it does not say Pro Audio in front of Clarion, it say's XD516 instead of DX515 infront of the "high power" thing, and that little "+" thing after the Magitune isn't there on the one I recieved. The specs appear to be the same, but I KNOW something must be different. Why would clarion sell the same unit but change the model number???
Also, the unit was new, in box with everything.
Old 09-25-2001, 11:47 AM

I also checked out the auction and everything. I DID ORDER THE DX-515, the one shown above. I was sent the wrong one, there is NO question about that.

I searched E-bay and nobody is selling an XD-516...
Old 09-25-2001, 01:11 PM

Car: 1997 Nissan 200SX SE-R
Engine: 2.0 Liter SR20DE
Transmission: 5 Speed
You got screwed. Hell, I don't care if you won an auction for a 1972 pinto and he sends you a 1999 corvette.. You entered a contract to purchase one, and you got the other. Pro Audio pieces are typically nicer. I would tell him you want what you ordered or you will want your money back, including shipping and handling charges.

Who did you order it off of BTW? What is his user name? I put your email in and it says you haven't bid on anything in the last 30 days.

If the guy doesn't have alot of feedback, I wouldn't send it back to him for the fear he just might keep it.

Dutch auctions are no worse or no better than any other auction on ebay, so don't sweat it too bad. Scams come in all shapes and sizes. The guy pulled a bait and switch (something he could have done with a regular auction).

Juan

------------------
1987 Pontiac Trans Am
1994 Nissan Sentra E
1999 Daewoo Leganza
Old 09-25-2001, 05:48 PM

Here's a copy of the E-mail that I sent him before:

To whom it may concern:
My name is Michael DeMaio, and I made a purchase from you through a Dutch auction on E-bay about a month ago. It was auction item # 1267702666 (http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=12677026660, which was described as, "CLARION DX515 AmFm CD Stereo Player Radio NEW! ",which is a Clarion Pro-Audio DX515 in dash CD player.
I attend college away from home and hadn't been home to see my purchase until this weekend. Upon opening the box I noticed that, although similar, it was NOT the CD player I ordered. The CD player I received was a Clarion (non Pro-Audio) XD 516 in dash CD Player.
Why was it that I got this product instead of the one I ordered? Are you all out of the product I ordered and just tried to replace it with this one, or was it just a mistake? Obviously, I would like to have the product I paid for. If you cannot provide the product, then I'd like a full refund (including shipping. I'm not paying for something to be shipped to my house that I didn't ask for). If you can provide the product, then I'd like it sent to the same address. Either way, I will send the incorrect product (Clarion XD 515 in dash CD player) back to you when you provide a way for doing so that will not be of any expense to me. I look forward to resolving this issue shortly.

Regards,
Michael DeMaio

Here's what I got back:

Hello, the model you recieved is the same model, just the newer 2001 model. You can go to CLarion's website and verify this for yourself. We upgraded you to the newer model as a good gesture since you were a good customer. I dont understand why you are upset, you recieved an upgraded product at not charge.

Michael

He has a rating of 762

Old 09-25-2001, 10:54 PM

I didn't find anything on a XD 516 either. The unit you received is probably an overseas blackmarket item.

You are being screwed with. I'd get in touch with someone at e-bay and see if they can put some pressure on this guy for you. If that doesn't work, then maybe you could threaten to get a laywer or the police involved.

In any case, you should provide this guys name and any info you have about him to us (and everyone else you know) so that the rest of us can avoid getting taken by him.
Old 09-26-2001, 12:02 AM

Actually, did a little research myself. I called Clarion customer service and told them a B.S.story that I had a DX515 in one of my cars, and went to a local electronics store and could only find the XD516. I told them I searched all over the internet and couldn't find any information on it, but wanted to know how it compared to the DX515 I had in my other car.

Customer service told me it pretty much didn't. Pro Audio is basically a two year warrenty instead of a one year warrenty, but other than that there we're a bunch of differences between the two units. They also mentioned the reason I couldn't find anything about the XD515 online was because it's ONLY SOLD AT BEST BUY STORES....so I wrote this back to the guy...
---------------------------------------------

Michael,
The model I received is not the 2001 model of the Dx515. Could you please direct me to what clarion web site did you looked at that claimed this?
The 2001 model, on the official Clarion Web site, and every other web site I checked, INCLUDING yours (www.usavemoney.com), say's that the Dx515 is continued through 2001. Just to be sure, I gave Clarion customer service a call.
I asked how the DX515 compared to the XD516. They said they didn't, because they were two completely different models. Apparently, the XD516 is NOT a new 2001 model; it is simply the model sold at Best Buy stores. I was told by Clarion customer service that there were many differences in addition to the lack of it being a pro audio unit as I pointed out; one of many being the XD516 having "Magitune" instead of "Magitune+", like the DX515 I ordered does.
May I remind you that, under E-bay's user agreement section 5.1, you are required to send me the item that was described in the auction:
"Listing and Selling.
5.1 Listing Description. You must be legally able to sell the item(s) you list for sale on our Site. You must describe your item and all terms of sale on the listing page of our Site. Your listings may only include text descriptions, graphics, pictures and other content relevant to the sale of that item. All listed items must be listed in an appropriate category. All Dutch auction items must be identical."

Besides the fact that you must be legally able to sell the item you listed for sale on E-bay and you have other Dutch Auctions currently running selling the same Clarion DX515 I ordered, you are also selling the Clarion DX515 I ordered on your web site. As such, and as I stated before in my first E-Mail, I would like the Clarion DX515 that I paid for sent to my house immediately. Again, the incorrect CD player that was sent to my house will be sent back to you once I am given some way of your choice to send it back that will be of no expense to me. Again, I look forward to resolving this misunderstanding as quickly as possible, and without having to take this issue any further, avoiding any legal problems. You seem to be a reputable seller and would hate to destroy your credibility with something as petty as this.

Regards,
Michael DeMaio
---------------------------------------------

Hopefully this will be the last letter I have to write...

[This message has been edited by MikeDwhoROCZImports (edited September 25, 2001).]
Old 09-26-2001, 07:01 AM
TGO Supporter

I noticed the discrepency in model situation between XD and DX, but since I couldn't find anything, I figured you were misinformed. Apparently not.

Anyway, I think you handled it appropriately. Instead of going bullsh!t in your email, you kept it cool and politely reminded him of Ebay's polices. Hopefully he'll be smart enough to take it back without a hassle.

------------------

The IROC Homepage
Old 09-26-2001, 04:18 PM

Car: 1997 Nissan 200SX SE-R
Engine: 2.0 Liter SR20DE
Transmission: 5 Speed
Look through his feedback. He has done this before (in the last fee weeks in fact) and another time before that. If he insists on not shipping your promised item and issuing a call tag, that you will have to deal with ebay's fraud department directly. He has commited fraud at this point.

He is pulling a bait and switch. Don't buy his "upgraded" non-sense. Clarion makes stuff for Best Buy so they can "match" prices on other people's stuff. Guess what, when nobody but best buy has that model, nobody can beat their prices. Plus the guys at the local shop don't have to worry about best buy clobbering their prices.

Juan
Old 09-29-2001, 03:00 PM
Supreme Member

Have you heard anything back from him yet? Keep us posted and Good Luck!

------------------

See my Ride:
https://www.thirdgen.org/rides/index...ew&rideid=1324
Old 10-05-2001, 06:44 PM

being a clarion dealer i can tell you that they change the model numbers slightly from the ones we get and the ones best buy gets. they sometimes also change the face color. also with the proaudio clarions you get an extra year warrenty with it.