Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

alarm siren through the speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2001, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alarm siren through the speakers?

is there any way to hook up the siren for my alarm to my speakers as well to make it extremely loud. to work even when i take my face plate off all the time? i really wanna do this, so please let me know. thanks.
Old 09-15-2001, 12:28 AM

come on. someone has to know the answer.
Old 09-15-2001, 11:05 AM
Supreme Member

i would also like to know how this is done...

i think it would be cool if it could turn on ur cd player or something, id leave a bass cd in and have my stereo somewhat up, break in, *boom* *boom* *boom*, wake up the whole neighborhood, that would be the time id be glad my neighbors call the cops for loud stereo
Old 09-15-2001, 04:43 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 RS - Fully Restored w/Custom Int
Engine: LO3 with some mods
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Richmond
Look at it this way. To really get loud sound from your car speakers you need a loud system (amps, etc). Your entire system would have to be wired into the battery and you would also have to leave your faceplate (assuming your head unit has one) in place.

Then anyone would think when your "alarm" goes off is that someone is playing their music too loud. Plus the thief really knows whats in your car for the taking. What about the possible damage done to the speakers?

The best solution IMHO is a WELL PLACED siren or multiple sirens that will give you the loudest sound possible. Mine screams when it goes off and its almost impossible to see with the hood open.

------------------
92 Camaro RS, LO3, 5-spd, T-tops

Performance:
K&N Open Air Filter, Edelbrock performer TBI intake, Fastchip Prom, Timing +4 degrees, Centerforce clutch, Xact 8mm wires, SLP 1 3/4" Headers (coated), Flowmaster Catback Exhaust, Z28 Grille w/aftmkt fog lamps, MacEwen white-face guages
Electronics:
Alpine 8030 Alarm System, Valentine One Radar Detector (How did I ever drive without one?), Pioneer DEH 7450 Head Unit w/6-pack CD changer, Pioneer DEQ 7600 Sound Processor, 2 Kenwood KAC-846 Amps powering 2 12" Pro Red subs, 2 Pioneer 6x9 and 2 MTX 4x6 speakers.
NEXT UP: TBI mods, 3.42 gears w/Torsen posi
Old 09-15-2001, 05:15 PM

i was talking about having the actual siren itself comming through the speakers, no music or nothing. i was even thinking, is there a way i can get a small cheapie amp to amp the siren to make it louder? i'm really looking at doing this. thanks.
Old 09-15-2001, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay, here's a bunch of realistic stuff you could do. When I say realistic...you do need some electronics knowledge to hook it up...but all of this can be done with a little know how.

First, the simplest thing. They sell small sirens, commonly called "pain generators." You simply wire this small siren up to your alarm and mount it under the dash. You could also just get a regular big siren in there, if you have the space to mount it.

You could buy a Pioneer radio with the DFS alarm feature. The way it works is, when you get in the car, if you don't attach the faceplate or switch on the key within a pre-set amount of time, the radio emits a terrible noise through the speakers. But you could also just hook it up so it makes the noise whenever your alarm goes off.

Like Pukka said, you could make it so the radio turns on whenever the alarm gets triggered. But you'd need to leave the faceplate on, and most aftermarket radios re-set to a quiet volume level every time you turn them off. So there wouldn't be much point.

Now, if you really, REALLY just absolutely need the siren sound to be coming out of your car speakers, here's how you would do it:

If you take apart your alarm siren, it consists of three basic parts:
1. A pre-amp tone generator, to make those whooping noises.
2. A small amplifier.
3. A speaker.
(The pre-amp and amp are going to be mounted on one circuit board probably...but that's basically how the thing works. It's basically a little car radio in there, but it can only make one kind of "music.)

Anyway, after you take the thing apart, you get the two wires going to the speaker. You splice in another piece of speaker wire, and run it to the trunk where your amp(s) are. Put the siren back together.

Buy a speaker-level-to-RCA jack converter, and hook it to the speaker wire you just ran. From the converter, run a short RCA cord into your amp. (Use a Y-adaptor so you can still keep your regular radio hooked up too.)

Also, there are two wires going into the siren, a red and a black. Run a wire from the red wire back to the trunk, and hook it to the remote turn-on wire to your amplifier.

Important: You'll need to use a diode inline on that wire....otherwise the siren will go off whenever you turn your radio on!

Once you do all this, Whenever the siren is activated, the amplifier will turn on and play the siren sound through the speakers. Since it takes a second or two for the amplifier to get going, your normal arm/disarm chirps aren't going to be heard through the speakers.

And remember that the whooping sound going into the siren speaker isn't exactly going to be a high-fidelity audio signal. You're going to have to experiement with the gain levels on the line-out converter to get it to sound right.
Old 09-17-2001, 02:25 PM

You could just get a Pioneer head unit with the DFS alarm. Take off the faceplate and it arms the alarm, once its off for 30 seconds and a door is closed, the next time its opened you'll have a 0, 5, 15, or 30 delay to put the faceplate back on or turn the ignition key in order to disarm it. It plays a very shrill two toned alarm through all the interior speakers. Set the volume to 60 (thats programmable as well) and I bet you can only stand it for 5 seconds at most before it starts damaging your hearing. It also gives you another blinking read light where the faceplate would have been to deter thieves.

------------------
~Luke
'91 Firebird :: 305/TBI/700R4 ::
Mods: Catco cat - Flowmaster 80 series - B&M Shift kit - TA tail lights - GTA rims - K&N - MacEwen guages
Stereo: Pioneer DEH-P8200R - Cadence 4x6's - Pioneer 6x9's - Kicker amps - Kicker 10" CompVR
::R.I.P.::'87 Firebird - Firebird parts - Selling an '80 Firebird for a friend
Moderator of tranny board over at TransAmGTA.com
Old 09-17-2001, 10:08 PM

you could also hook up a couple of pezio seirens i have 2 in my vents and ther loud as hell im also going to put 4 under the hood youll be able to hear it from like 3 blocks away
Old 09-17-2001, 11:21 PM

i have a pioneer 8200 cd player with the dfs alarm thing, but the installer didn't know how to hook the alarm part up, so it's not hooked up for that. just the cd player/radio part works on it. oh, and the red flashing light works.
Old 09-19-2001, 12:46 AM

camaro22,

It's easy. Does your car have the underdash courtesy lights?

You just run a wire from the connector on the radio that says DOOR SWITCH, to the courtesy light. The courtesy light has two wires....you want the one that puts out ground anytime the door's open. Splice into that and that's it.

The setup menu for the DFS alarm is poorly designed; you'll most likely need the instruction manual to manage to set it up.

You can also install a relay to make the horn honk when it goes off. That's a little more complicated than the door switch wire, but still not that hard.
Old 09-19-2001, 04:34 PM

Yeah like Chris said, its a piece of cake to hook up. The wires for the courtesy light are behind the kickpanels but which wire to use I'm not quite sure. I want to say the peach colored one but its been a while. I had to run it to both sides for mine to work with both doors but check yours with only one to make sure you don't need to do any additional work.

I've got the same unit that you do but its not so bad to set up the alarm. With the ignition ON, radio OFF, push and hold down the function button on the lower right for a few seconds. When the menu comes up, push it to cycle to DFS alarm, then hold it down for an additional couple of seconds and you'll get the setup menu. Its pretty intuitive from there and it'll even tell you real-time if sees your doors open or closed once its hooked up so you can test either door.
Old 09-20-2001, 01:50 AM

wow, thanks guys, i truely appriciate it. i'm gonna try to hook it up tomorrow. i wish i knew it was that simple, it could have saved me from the 2 times my car was broken into last month. if i run into any problems, i'll let you know. thanks again. guys.

shawn
Old 09-20-2001, 05:47 PM

Why does he need a relay to hook up the horn? If the radio has a pulsed grounding output, run that wire to the factory horn relay (in my 83 Z28, it's on drivers side, under dash by console..right near where you'd plug in a computer code-reader.) But if the wire from the radio isn't pulsed, the horn will constantly be blaring... not "honking"..
Old 09-21-2001, 01:43 AM

Chevy83,
I would tend to agree with you; he can probably just take advantage of the car's existing horn relay. But I think the Pioneer instructions tell you to use your own relay for some reason.

I know that on most Hondas you always need a relay, as the horn on those cars is controlled by a high-current switch; no relay. But all GM cars that I know of have a relay.
Old 09-21-2001, 03:56 PM

I think the Pioneer instructions only say to always use a relay so that they're safe from people who don't know what they're doing.

I see no need to have a relay turning on another relay... as long as the wire coming from the radio is a pulsed ground (the horn button wire is also a ground that goes to the horn relay,) then you don't need two relays... any other opinions?
Old 09-22-2001, 12:15 AM

ok, there is a wire comming off the cd player as well that says alarm. should/could i do anything with that. is there any way to tell which wire is the ground on the courtesy light to hook the door switch wire to? also, i would like to hook my horn up too so that it honks. which wire and how do i do that? thank you.
Old 09-22-2001, 02:03 AM

Camaro22,

We'll do one wire at a time.

Door Trigger: As you can plainly see, there are two wires going to the courtesy light bulb. One will put out 12 volts positive at all times. The other one will show ground anytime you open the door...that's the wire you want.

If you own and know how to use a meter or test light, that's good....but there are only two wires....trial and error would work well enough. When you get into the Pioneer's DFS menu, there's a screen that will say DOOR OPN or DOOR CLS. You want to hook the wire up so that is says OPN when the door is open. If you hook up the wire and you get no action...you have the wrong wire. If you hook it up but it goes backwards...like it says OPN every time you close the door, you can reverse that somehow in the Pioneer menu.

Horn wire:

Take down whatever underdash panels are necessary, so you can see all the wires that come down from the steering column.

The horn wire (I think) is black, but I really can't remember for sure. But there are a lot of wires there, and there may be more than one wire of the same color....unlike the courtesty light, it is VERY important that you test the wire to make sure it's the right one, before you hook up.

The horn wire will show ground whenever you push on the steering wheel to honk the horn. Put one end of your meter or test light to the positive terminal of the battery. (Or just tap into the fuse box where it says BAT for this purpose.) Take the other end of the meter/light and probe the wire you think is for the horn. Then, while watching the light/meter, honk the horn. The light should come on or your meter should move. If so, you have the right wire.

Old 09-25-2001, 12:04 AM

hey chris and the other guys, you've been a big help, and i appriciate it. i'm gonna try again tomorrow. but one more thing, what do i hook the horn wire up to? the wire on the cd player that says alarm? thank you.

shawn

[This message has been edited by camaro 22 (edited September 24, 2001).]
Old 09-25-2001, 12:52 AM

The wire coming off the head unit labeled "alarm" goes into an input on your car alarm I believe. If for some unknown reason your car alarm doesn't go off when the door is opened, the head unit will trigger it on its own.

------------------
~Luke
'91 Firebird :: L03/700R4 ::
Mods: Catco cat - Flowmaster 80 series - B&M Shift kit - TA tail lights - GTA rims - K&N - MacEwen guages
Stereo: Pioneer DEH-P8200R - Cadence 4x6's - Pioneer 6x9's - Kicker amps - Kicker 10" CompVR
::R.I.P.::'87 Firebird - Firebird parts - Selling an '80 Firebird for a friend
Moderator of tranny board over at TransAmGTA.com
Old 09-25-2001, 02:53 AM

Yes, the alarm wire goes to the horn trigger.

Or like piany said, you could use it to trigger a car alarm as well.