Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Why does my amp keep cutting out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2001, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why does my amp keep cutting out?

I put an amp in my car a couple of days ago after my other one was fried. It's a POS Majestic 200W that I have running my 6x9s and I'm trying to run my subs off of it also. The problem is when I turn it up....the amp starts to cut out. It's like it turns on and off when there isn't enough power to run the speakers. Some people tell me it's because there is no fuse from the battery to the amp itself and the amp is trying to take in too much power. I don't know if I can believe that. It usually runs OK if I've just got the 6x9s hooked in, one in each channel. But then I have my subs which I also would like to run on the same amp. When I hook them in though, the best way I can think to do it is to run the positive on one channel and the negative on the other channel along with my 6x9s. I'm probably wrong with this but it's the only way that I can think to do it. If anybody could tell me how I should be doing this or why my amp keeps cutting out when I turn it up a little bit I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
Old 08-10-2001, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running to low of on ohm load on the amp. If you continue to do that, you will eventually tear it up. You can run that two channel amp to the 6x9's, but get another for the subs.