Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Installed System.... AMP DOESN'T WORK!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2001, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed System.... AMP DOESN'T WORK!!!!!!!!

Yesterday I went out and bought an amp and wiring for my system. I put in my box with the 2 Rockford Fosgate Punches in and ran the wiring through the car. Connected the amp. Turned car on and the subs didn't work. I checked the amp and the light wasn't even coming on! (the red led light that is supposed to come on) My neighbor came over and checked the wires to make sure they were working... the took the ground and power wire and touched them for a second to see if they would spark and they did! What should I check now or should I just take it back and exchange it for a new one?? Please respond quickly!! Thanks In Advance!

------------------
(orignally CDnAP48)
'91 Camaro RS (in readers rides)
Dark Metallic Blue
V6, 4th Gen Seats, Sony Xplod CD Player and Sony Xplod 6x9's, Kelly Charger Front Tires. Soon to come, DJSexay Kick Panels, Polk Audio Component Set, 2 Rockford Fosgate 12"
s, Rockford Fosgate Amp, New Rims, New Rear Tires, Carpet, Floor Mats, Paint Job, Interior Color Change.
E-mail me for any questions or comments.
AdidasPredator15@jam.rr.com
http://www.geocities.com/adidaspredator21/index.html
Old 08-05-2001, 02:28 PM

anyone??

------------------
(orignally CDnAP48)
Dark Metallic Blue
V6, 4th Gen Seats, Sony Xplod CD Player and Sony Xplod 6x9's, Kelly Charger Front Tires. Soon to come, DJSexay Kick Panels, Polk Audio Component Set, 2 Rockford Fosgate 12"
s, Rockford Fosgate Amp, New Rims, New Rear Tires, Carpet, Floor Mats, Paint Job, Interior Color Change.
Old 08-05-2001, 03:38 PM

Car: 91 RS Convertible
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Does it have a remote wire to hook up??

I'm not familiar with Fosgate amps and wiring, but in most amps in general have a ground wire a hot wire and a remote wire that need to be hooked up in order for the amp to power up.

You already have the ground and power hooked up properly and you're getting juice.

Look on the amp for a 3rd connection. It could be another wire or another screw terminal located near the ground and power terminals.

To hook up the remote wire.....
You have two choices.
1) run a 18ga wire from the accessory point on the fuse block or tap into any wire that get power after you turn the key to accessory or ignition.

2) look at your stereo wiring and look for a usually orange wire.
This is the remote wire which will power up the amp whenever you turn on the stereo.

You could tap into you hot wire and hook it up that way, but that would mean the amp will be on at all times which would drain your battery.
I would not recommend hooking it up this way!!

Hope this helps.

------------------
91 Mystic Teal RS Convertible. 305 TBI, Auto, stock.
125,000 miles and still going strong.
Only minor mods planned for the near future.
Like headers, flowmaster exhaust, some ignition mods, K&N airfilter, Perhaps a chip if needed.
Waiting for the motor to blow up so I can install a ZZ4 crate motor. Let's just hope it don't blow up too soon.
Old 08-05-2001, 05:29 PM

Thanks... I haven't got it though... I saw the plug on the back of my amp but never saw the wire in the kit... my kit didn't have one =( I'll send my mom to get one while I'm at work tomorrow haha. When I get it hooked up I'll post some pics.

------------------
(orignally CDnAP48)
Dark Metallic Blue
Old 08-05-2001, 10:51 PM

I think I had the same problem as you do. Once I installed everything and tried it out, the amp would not turn on. I thought the simply hooking up the RCA wires from the head unit to the amp would tell the amp to turn on. But what I had to do was put in a remote turn on wire. I used the blue wire from the head unit that turns on the power antenna to turn on the amp. It just basically sends a jolt of power to tell it its time to turn on. I went to best buy and bought a Rockford Fosgate amp installation kit and it came with a long enough blue wire. The whole kit cost about thirty bucks. good luck!
Old 08-05-2001, 10:57 PM

see what happened.... i went to a place around here... and got the amp... it's only the 100W one but it'll do for now... i've heard people with the same setup and it sounds pretty good... it'll do until i get enough for a bigger amp... but he was gonna sell me the amp kit... well.. he was out ... so he made me one... gave it to me for free.... he told me how to hook it up.. i connected everything i had.. i didn't have the remote wire... i guess that's why it's not workin but we're goin tomorrow to ask him for it and then we'll set it up and i'll post pics when i get home!! thanks guyz!

------------------
(orignally CDnAP48)
Dark Metallic Blue