Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

amp trouble

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2002, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 06 Toyota Tundra SR5
amp trouble

I hooked up a T-sonic 250watt amp up, with 10 gauge power and ground wire, and I ran a remote line to my other jenson 500watt amp and hooked the amps up with some RCAs. But everytime I hook up the remote or have the remote hooked up then hook up the RCAs, i lose sound, there is a red light on the amp. Whats wrong? 8 Gauge is hooked up on the 500 watt amp.
Old 01-30-2002, 12:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI LO3
Ok. First you have T-sonic(walmart buy?), a 10 gauge power cable (thats top of the line HOME USE..a car should have 4 or 8 gauge), and u have a jensen. Next, how did u hook the amps together..im willin to bet its done wrong, and do u have fuses in line anywhere? And red lite on the amp. With it i would assume u got a thing called an instruction manual. Try reading it.
Old 01-30-2002, 02:56 PM

thanks DIC-K

Oh that amp, I didnt get it at wal mart, queer, I got it out of your AS-S. If 10 gauge is top of the line home wire then why did it come with the amp kit. Learn your **** before you try to rain on my parade
Old 01-30-2002, 06:29 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: sbc 400
Transmission: th350
Ok, there was no need for either of you to respond to each other that way. in attempt to help you, i will give you what i think could be wrong. a nicer way to put that wire situation is that for cars, you should never run anything less than 8 gauge to an amp. anything smaller can cause it to work to hard to get the juice it needs, possibly causing problems with the amp or melting the wire. next, how is the amp mounted? are either of the amps physically touching the chassis? that could be somethin to check out. next, check to see if you've got a short anywhere between the amps and the headunit, including the remote wire, power wire, and even the patch cables. this comes to mind because i'm thinking that light you mentioned is the amp's protection circuit. next, i'm not knocking you, but it could be the amps themselves. jensen is not known for being the greatest of brands for cars. while i have heard of some of the more esoteric and unheard of brands, i havent heard much about t-sonic. are either of the amps used or been beat up on? one of the biggest things in this profession is that you get what you pay for. not saying to go out and spend gobs of money on the stuff, but there is a line where the cost starts to compromise the component. once again, i'm here to help, but there is no need for being jerks to each other.
Old 01-31-2002, 02:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI LO3
Hey man i wasnt tryin to mock you, just when novices install systems, at times they dont consult anyone before doing it, and dont read instruction manuals, they just start wiring away, which is what it seemd like you did. CAMp3RO said basically what i was tryin to say..just a bit differently. You still havent told us how you wired them or what that "red light" means according to your instruction manual.
Old 01-31-2002, 06:16 PM
Supreme Member

Car: yy wife, crazy.
Engine: 350, Vortecs, 650DP
Transmission: TH-350
Axle/Gears: 8.5", 3.42
I'm not saying that this is what it is, but check to make sure that you hooked the power wire to the pos. terminal/wire on the amp, and the ground wire to the neg. terminal/wire.

I can't tell you how many nights I've been up 'til the weeeeee hours of the morning, box building, wire running, etc. and I finally get it done. I'm soooo anxious to hear the damn thing (and too tired to remember what it sounds like anyway) that I get stuff hooked up bass ackwards.

Then it takes me another couple hours to figure out how stupid I am and what I may have done wrong. But the amps (shutup!! I've done it a few times ) did exactly what you're saying your's is doing.

Good luck, whatever the prob.

AJ
Old 01-31-2002, 09:59 PM

well first off, I dont have the instructions, actually I had it hooked up to an 8 inch tube before and we couldnt get it running consistantly, it would turn off after 2 or 3 minutes after westart up the car, but we hooke dup another amp and it worked fine. I heard the red light is a security light or something, meaning somehting is wrong with the wiring, I guess, Im just not sure if hooking up a remote to the smaller amp to the bigger one is correct, and Im not positive abot the RCAs going from the smaller amp to the output lines in the bigger one.
Old 01-31-2002, 10:01 PM

thanks for the help camaro, its prolly just the t-sonic amp, its a piece of crap, and teh jenson isnt the best but its real clean and nice, i like it, its not a rockford but its nice for a jenson.