Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Memphis audio vs ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2001, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Memphis audio vs ??

My question is Which are better the memhis audio amps or Rockford Fosgate power series?
I am guessing most will say Memphis so I will also ask about PPI. The way I figure it is that I have no money right now so I will have to save to get a better amp. I might as well save more and get the best. Right now I will be runnig 500watts rms but hope to just get a much better amp than that and just cut down the gain. I will HOPEFULLY envetually be running around 800watts rms so that is the range of amp I will be looking to buy. I know this amp question has been posted a 1000 times and I have read about 900 of them. So my question is not "what amp is the best bang for the buck" I am just asking for everyone to comment on TOp of the line amps that are very effcient. I am not looking for those custom made $5000 amps I am hoping not to spend an ungodly amount but am willing to pay for quality.
Please respond,
Joey
Old 04-09-2001, 07:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a PPI 4100 that I loved (traded for an engine). It had plenty of power and had tons of features. The Memphis 1000D is a sweet amp as well. I personally would go with the memphis. I have heard these amps at various competitions and have been extremely impressed with them, especially since they are so small! They have a tiny footprint but put out crazy power. The Fosgate is a decent amp, but I guess I am just a smaller company supporter.

Chris
Old 04-09-2001, 10:04 AM

Car: 88 IROC-Z (Sold)
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: 700R4
I would go with the Memphis. I have two of the 1000D amps for my 2 12" BA Pros. I have been nothing but happy with them. They are really small (space saving) and yet they put out huge power. I am only running one right now (1100 watts @ 1ohm) and it slams my Bostons really hard.

The other thing that I have been very happy with is there power draw. They don't use much of anything. My single amp does not put much of a strain on my electrical system, from a standpoint of constantly draining the battery or sucking power. It just doesn't do it. For example, when I asked Memphis about upgrading my system to handle two 1000D amps, they told me all that I would need to do is go from a 110amp alternator to at least a 150amp alternator. Obviously that was for not using both constantly (which I don't), but still, that is not much upgrading.

The final thing that has impressed me is how helpful and nice the people at Memphis are. I have asked them many questions and they have always been quick and curtious in response. A great company with great customer service. There are not many places to get Memphis equipment, so if you don't have a place lined up yet, I would go to their website and look one up. Good luck man!

I almost forgot to mention that they just released a new amp called the 1500D. It is 1500watts @ 2ohms. I was told it is 1ohm stable, but don't know what the power is. The 1000D is 600watts @ 2ohms and 1100watts @ 1ohm.

Matt

------------------
irocet@hotmail.com

drive.to/Stang_Kilr

88 IROC-Z -- 350 L-98, 700R4, Flowmaster, K&N, MAF Sceens Removed, Airfoil, March Pullies, Comp Cams Magnum 1.6 Roller Rockers, Bosch Platinum Plugs, Accel 8.8 mm Wires, Hypertech Cap & Coil, Hypertech Chip, Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace, One Loud Stereo!

[This message has been edited by IROCET (edited April 09, 2001).]
Old 04-09-2001, 12:13 PM
Supreme Member

if you guys are going to be using 1000D amps, why not go with the Rockford Fosgate bd1000a1?

not only do you get the power from class D amps, but the sweet crystal clear sound from class B amps... ?

Only diff i think, is Ohmage, i dont think the bd1000a1 runs 1 ohm mono...
Old 04-09-2001, 07:13 PM

as for where to get the amp I have a bunch of relatives that live in Olive Branch, MS which is about 10 mins from Memphis. So I don't think I should have a problem. I think I saw that there are 6 places to get it in Memphis.
So getting it shouldn't be the promblem the money is. Well so far I like all of your replies. I think I will buy the 1000d unless someone else steers me other wise. I think someone said it was like $700???
Hopefully I might be able to get it cheaper since their will be no shipping charges and their are many other places to get it in the same town. Well please keep replying everone and hope that I can find the $ to get it. I might have to wait till summer

Old 04-10-2001, 01:20 PM

Klayburn-

There are a few reasons that I went with the Memphis amp over a RF or Kicker or something like that. First, everyone and there brother uses Fosgate and I wanted something different that not many people can say they have. Two, the Memphis is over 90% efficient, whereas the RF is only about 75% efficient. Third, the Memphis is much smaller than the RF.

Memphis: 6.25" x 1.7" x 13.4"
Rockford: 9.60" x 2.62" x 14.27"

In my Camaro, where I will be running two 1000D's as well as a 3004 4 channel amp, I need as much free space as I can get. Fourth, the RF lists for $100 more than the Memphis.

To me it was clear what I wanted to get. I am extremely happy with Memphis and I think the output quality of their amps is very great. I'm not saying that RF isn't, just that isn't what I was looking for.

Crow- Yes the 1000D sells for right around $700. The first one I bought only cost $650 cause a friend referred me so they hooked me up. The second one cost $700 plus tax. Total is was $740. Hopefully you can find one for cheaper since you live right near the place. If you have to wait until the summer, it may suck now, but you'll be happy when you get it. Let me know how it goes. Later

Matt

------------------
irocet@hotmail.com

drive.to/Stang_Kilr

88 IROC-Z -- 350 L-98, 700R4, Flowmaster, K&N, MAF Sceens Removed, Airfoil, March Pullies, Comp Cams Magnum 1.6 Roller Rockers, Bosch Platinum Plugs, Accel 8.8 mm Wires, Hypertech Cap & Coil, Hypertech Chip, Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace, One Loud Stereo!
Old 04-10-2001, 01:44 PM

Go with the PPI....
FOR SURE.
I have the a600.2 running 3 10w6s.
Anyone that knows PPI knows how old the art series are.
I have not had a single problem with it since I have owned.
I had another one pushing my mids and highs in my corvette but I left that one in the car when it went.
PPI is a top quality amp.
Old 04-10-2001, 01:54 PM

I can also add, that I do not have ANY experience with Memphis.
There are a few shops around here that sell them, but dont know anyone personally that have them.
Specs and Design look extremely nice, may have to check them out.
Now as for Audiobahn..........

[This message has been edited by dallasiroc (edited April 10, 2001).]
Old 04-10-2001, 02:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You were just going to say how much you like them right, Dallas? Hey, he is right about the PPI's though. Very good stuff, if a little pricey. I have had great experience with Memphis as well. Like IROCET said, there aren't very many out there, and you will have the element of surprise, if that interests you at all.

Chris
Old 04-11-2001, 10:06 AM

Dallas is right about PPI, they are good amps. I used to have one, well I still do, I just don't use it anymore. I don't remember what model it was, but it was an older one. It was really good for sound quality (running mids and highs), but I wasn't as happy with it running my subs. I still say Memphis all the way.

Matt

------------------
irocet@hotmail.com

drive.to/Stang_Kilr

Old 04-14-2001, 09:50 AM

So I am curious the memphis 1000d is better than the RF 1000 ????
The memphis is rated at 600 rms and the RF 1000RMS both at 2 ohms. So given that and that they cost about the same, I should still go with the Memphis???
If you are saying the mephis audio 1000d with 600 watts rms works as well or better than the RF with 1000 watss rms then I am all for the Memphis. But if the RF puts out about the same then I will prob get the memphis. If the Fosgate is a lot more then I might have to decide on it.
Old 04-16-2001, 09:51 AM

I don't have much experience working with RF amps, but overall, I personally think the Memphis is a better amp. If I were you, I would go to some stereo shops and listen to both amps playing and determine for yourself which one you like better. I would love to see you go with Memphis, but stereo's are one of those personal preference things. People buy what they do cause they like it and the way it performs.

The RF does put out more power at 2 ohms than does the 1000D, although like I said before, Memphis just released the 1500D which is 1500 watts at 2 ohms. I wish I would have waited for that one now. Oh well. Also, think about what all you are going to be running. How many amps? How many speakers? Stuff like that, cause the more you run, the more you are going to want the more efficient equipment (ie. Memphis). By the way, what speakers are you going to run and how many and what ohmage are they (subs)? Later

Matt

------------------
irocet@hotmail.com

drive.to/Stang_Kilr

Old 05-11-2001, 09:14 PM

I have had a bunch a different setups in my 92 rs but nothing has every come close to my memphis equipment..i have had RF,audiobahn,kicker,pioneer,cerwin vega,infinity...nothing has compared to my memphis stuff..whether it be amps ors speakers....at one point in time i ran 2 memphis 1000d's with 4 shp 12's and had to tone it down via the insurance company who got tired of replacing glass...only stuff i have owned that was really close was dei equipment...very nice stuff...just a little more pricey....

------------------
1992 RS 25th anniversary..305 tpi conversion,slp headers,jet chip,3 inch flow master exhaust,3:73 richmond gears,big block style hood,80 degree tint,black outs,b&m megashifter,high rise spoiler,and much more.

Stereoioneer 8000R with organic screen,2 memphis 1000d amps(1100rms each) 4 memphis shp 12's 2 capasitors,audiobahn line driver,memphis crossover,stinger dry cell battery.
Old 05-11-2001, 11:19 PM

Car: 1990 RS
Engine: 350
Transmission: TH-350
go with memphis