Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

What controls the amperage output of your alternator???

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2001, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What controls the amperage output of your alternator???

I work at a parts store and I can get alternators cheap...so rather than paying a ****load of cash for a HO alt. I would rather change something internal on an alt i can get, if thats possible. I think I have a 90 something amp right now in there but i need more, the voltage is dipping too low when i get big bass hits. dont remember exactly what the diff amp options are for us, but i know the biggest one (140 amps i think) has a diff case than the rest and wont fit. any suggestions?? thanks

------------------
85 Z28- 350, Comp 262, Edelbrock Performer intake, Edelbrock 600 cfm carb and Edelbrock cat back, Summit headers and vette servo
-JVC, Eclipse, Pioneer, MTX, Phoenix Gold, Planet Audio
Old 05-09-2001, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it has to do with the stator. The more windings the stator has, the more amps it will produce. If you work at a parts store you should be able to find a high output rebuild kit that comes with a larger stator and other parts to freshen up your current alternator. It's not that hard and usually not too expensive, at least not as expensive as a new ho alt.

You could also dig through the alt. cores that are returned to your store and open them up to see if one of them has a h.o. stator already in it. Just look for a stator that is thicker than your current one for the same model alternator as yours (I don't know if different model alts. stators are interchangeable or not). Then you can just swap them out and you have a higher output alternator for free. I pretty sure the h.o. stator will work with the other parts of your alternator without problems, but check with other people on the board to make sure. Finally test your alternator with the used stator to be sure it works. More than likely it will because stators usually aren't the part that wears out on alternators, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

[This message has been edited by bigvic (edited May 09, 2001).]